Fitness test

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Samc1888

Fitness test

Post by Samc1888 »

Hi hope your all doing well. I’ve just had a message saying I’m due to be booked in for my fitness test and vetting soon, how have you guys and girls prepared for the fitness test/bleep test without the space? I’m currently out of shape and happy to admit overweight but since starting the application process I’ve cut all sugary drinks and walked/jogged everyday including just started couch to 5k on the app. Any general bleep test help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks
kinzku5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Fitness test

Post by kinzku5 »

I'm not the most active person in the world but started the couch to 5k to help with the bleep test. It really does work! I was practicing the bleep test aswell when doing the couch to 5k runs but only hitting like level 3 max out of the 5.4. But on the day it is completely different, adrenaline really does kick in. I was lucky enough to have a great fitness instructor on the day and she ran alongside me the whole time, egging me on..that really helped and the time just flew by. She was talking over the tape so I didn't even realise we had finished haha I could have carried on. So, I say if you're doing the couch to 5k runs and finding them okay, you should be alright! A PT also advised me to do exercises to strengthen your legs for example squats, lunges etc. Hope this has helped! Good luck with it 😊
09/10/20 - application & online tests passed
05/12/20 - passed ARC & failed fitness
15/01/21 - passed fitness retake & on merit list
14/02/21 - offer accepted
15/02/21 - pre employment checks sent
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Hey dude!

I posted the same topic the other day! Check it out to see what replies I got! I’m in the same boat as you, got invited for the fitness test last Wednesday and booked it in for this coming Tuesday, I feel so unprepared as was expecting it to be agessss away yet

Personally I think focusing on techniques such as foot turning when you get to the line and getting the pace right are going to be the best bet! So I’ve just been practicing the test it’s self using this audio as tomorrow is my last day before my test I’m going to get up early, have the breakfast that I’m going to have on Tuesday... take my non-stimulant pre work out and give the test one last blast! Then I shall be putting my fit up all day, being mindful and positive... nice soak in the bath before early night...

Then bring on the on the day determination! I’m sure you’ll be fine mate!!
kinzku5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kinzku5 »

Also, if you do practice the bleep test it's 15m not 20m.

The night before just relax, I had a long bath and chilled, got an early night. On the day I got up early, drank lots of water, ate some porridge and banana .. this was super helpful.

You'll be great don't worry 😊
kinzku5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kinzku5 »

Keep forgetting bits sorry haha..

You get three strikes and then you're out. This is only if you miss the line three times in a row. So if you miss twice in a row and make the next one, you go back to zero and go again.

Hopefully that makes sense?
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Do you really think I shouldn’t do the test tomorrow!? I was hoping to give it one last crack today but it’s literally been horrific weather tipping down and windy as anything!
kinzku5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kinzku5 »

Depends how your body is feeling I guess, you don't want to over do it! But aslong as you're chilling in the evening, not eating crap and getting an early night you will be fine 😂
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Yeah think my plan is early night tonight, up early, porridge and banana try out my non stimulant pre work out, do the test once, walk the dog to make sure I cook down properly, stretch’s and chill, soak in the bath and early night!

Defo back to healthy diet tomorrow.... last night was little over indulgent with the partner drinking red wine and eating chocolate for valentines 😅😅
kinzku5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kinzku5 »

Haha worth it though I'm sure 😉

Good luck with your fitness! You'll smash it 😁
Samc

Post by Samc »

Hi guys thanks for your words of advice. Although nervous I’m really looking forward to getting it over and done with, good luck for when yours goes ahead I’m sure you’ll ace it! Thanks again I feel a lot better after reading the comments 😊
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Talking about preparing the night before....

I did the great north run a few moons ago, my prep the night before was a couple of bottles of wine and a blazing hot curry 😆

Surprisingly I managed to complete the run !!
Lay19

Post by Lay19 »

I found the worst part being my own nerves beforehand. Try not to psych yourself out.
I found the fitness test easier than expected and the fitness instructor ran the first part of the bleep test with us to help us pace and was really encouraging throughout
My tip is interval running, minute fast minute slow will help build up endurance. The bleep test is only around 4 minutes for the level you need to hit

As others have said the adrenaline on day will help

Also make sure to wear a trainer with a good grip, I found the floor slightly slippery especially when doing the speed run.

Good luck, you’ll smash it I’m sure!
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

One last question for anyone that has had their fitness test in covid times! Do they let you know at the end of your whole test wether you have passed or not or do you wait for a email or something!!?
Lay19

Post by Lay19 »

They’ll let you know there and then if you’ve passed :)
JCOX4
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCOX4 »

You will know there and then if you pass the fitness test. You won’t move on to the next stage of the fitness test if you fail 1 stage of it. At least they didn’t at mine anyway, some fella failed the bleep test and had to sit the rest out until the end and had a 1 on 1 with the instructor who gave him advice to pass the next time.
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start- Delayed until further notice