Prison types/opinions please!?

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic
Shortyshan

Prison types/opinions please!?

Post by Shortyshan »

Hey guys!

So I had my VARC just under 3 weeks ago now, I had applied for a total of 4 prisons... technically, two of them come under one application.

The two under the same application are male cat B/C prisons and everyyyyone applies for there so I’m guessing the merit list is much bigger for these prisons. Like everyone this would be my “preference”

However I have this evening received provisional offers for the two other prisons! Which I’m super happy and excited about even though they aren’t my first choice getting into this career is what I want more than anything so I am definitely going to accept and give a preference I think, but I would like peoples thoughts, opinions, pro’s, cons... hopefully even personal experiences if possible

So 1 is a young offenders institute and the other is a male cat C foreign national.

What would you pick out of the two if you had to? And why?
Thepower
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Prison types/opinions please!?

Post by Thepower »

There all a much of muchness.... YO's tend to have there issues which I'm sure you'll be aware off.

I've been out for 3 years but I started in a Cat B local az a fresh faced 20 year old and did 4 years before transferring to a Cat C before the Bastards at G4S took over then after 5 years I got out, id say local Cat B are always the best to learn at lots of turnover and different types of prisoners pass through the gates on a daily basis.
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Yeah I totally get what your saying and the cat B prison was what I was hoping to start off in to build up the experience before looking at working in a YOI, which is a career goal of mine, just didn’t expect it to come up this quick, I don’t really want to turn it down at all and just sit around hoping the male cat b/c prison will have something come up.

So do I accept the offer and go with it now! If I didn’t feel capable I wouldnt have applied to it in the first place, but I’ve just had quite a few people try put me off of it
PlantPot

Post by PlantPot »

I was just wondering, what are the issue with a YOI? I've heard people mention they have issues, what are those issues?
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Yeah I’d like to know too..

I mean other than the obvious that younger adult males could likely be more difficult to reason with, calm down etc is there really anything that’s that different to working at a normal adult male prison...

I also feel like working with the youths could be more rewarding perhaps, maybe more chance to get them to turn there life’s around.

Also we’re all going into this job to help these individuals regardless of age, gender, race right?

I think I’m going to run with it and take the challenge on! I feel like I could be more approachable and relatable to youths also... if you saw me you’d without a doubt agree aha
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

So quick update and word of advice for anyone that have applied for more than one prison!

I finally decided on the YOI and instead of emailing my preference choice I decided to ring as I had some questions, the lady was sooo lovely and helpful and answered all me questions and well I’m so glad I did call because they accidentally missed off the other prison that I did actually want off my offer email!!

So all sorted and I have accepted my offer for the prison I wanted!!!
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Charlotteisace »

Congratulations. Dead happy for you!!! Are you going in as a Prison Officer or a YJW?

To answer your question regarding YOI. I have no experience of working in one (I’m a total newbie) but I keep hearing that YOI estates have more violence. It would be really interesting to hear first have experiences too!
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Charlotteisace wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 pm Congratulations. Dead happy for you!!! Are you going in as a Prison Officer or a YJW?

To answer your question regarding YOI. I have no experience of working in one (I’m a total newbie) but I keep hearing that YOI estates have more violence. It would be really interesting to hear first have experiences too!
I’m going in as a prison officer, I haven’t gone ahead with the YOI as when I rang them (and was going to go ahead with that prison) they had missed off the male catB/C prison that was my preference so I have accepted that! And this prison does hold you down offenders 17-21 but with lesser sentences where as the YOI that I had mentioned is pretty serious charges! Would like to go take my career there in the future once I’ve got some experience behind me!

Overall very happy and hope betting doesn’t take too long, am I right in thinking you’ve gone through your vetting?? I accepted my offer and just before I did that there was a purple button that said pre employment checks, I didn’t click on it and just clicked decision at the top and submitted I accept... now just says we will be in touch to arrange the fitness test and medical is that right?
Previous topicNext topic