How Far Do You Drive To The Prison You Work At?

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic
MuayThaiRy
Registered Member
Registered Member

How Far Do You Drive To The Prison You Work At?

Post by MuayThaiRy »

I was just wondering how far you all travel to your place of work? There’s jobs close to me advertised on Google but when I click on them there not actually available. So I applied on the prison and probation site where actual jobs are. I won’t state which prison but I’ve now got to travel 1hr 20m a day, this is saying I get the job haha. I applied for a woman’s prison but you have to be a woman to apply unfortunately as it seemed a ‘good’ prison if I could call it that which was 30mins away. Can you switch prisons mid probationary period if something appears which you would prefer more? As there is afew a lot closer.

Sorry for yet another post, keeping you all busy haha
Applied As YCW - 15/02/21
Completed Stage 1 & 2 - 15/02/21
Successful Email - 16/02/21
ARC Booked On 16/02/21 For 08/03/21
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Re: How Far Do You Drive To The Prison You Work At?

Post by Charlotteisace »

I’m a newbie but I travel an hour. I definitely think it’s worth it if you have a real interest in a particular prison :). Definitely think it depends on you as a person. Commuting isn’t for everyone, I personally don’t mind it but some people find it tiresome. It also can make things more expensive :slhmm:
Barkingmad2

Post by Barkingmad2 »

The prisons that surround me are all 1hr away. The prison ive applied to is that. I was looking for a Max travel of 50miles if that helps at all.

I’ve always wanted to do this so I don’t mind travelling if I get to do the job I have always wanted
MuayThaiRy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by MuayThaiRy »

Thanks for both your responses! I feel the exact same was as both of you, this is literally the only job I can see myself doing. I’m getting really nervous about passing the ARC now though. The travels not a problem for me at all, just gutted they advertise and there’s no jobs actually there haha.

And Charlotte (I presume) I’ll keep my my trusty little 1litre so it doesn’t guzzle much petrol then haha. I’ve just never had to commute to work since school so I wanted to see what the average was, I think it’s basically an hour + for everyone to be fair,
Labgurl1993
Official Member
Official Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Labgurl1993 »

My prison is about 45 minutes away but I'd had to set off about an hour and 15 minutes early as the route is known for traffic it was my last choice had two others down which was 15 - 20 minutes away from me so hopping I can transfer at a later date so excited to start you will be fine on your arc promise keep calm and just be yourself that's what they like 😊
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Charlotteisace »

Exactly what @labgurl said! You’ll smash it mate. You really want this and that sort of takes over during the process.

I think in terms of commuting so many people have different expectations. Some people think I’m crazy travelling an hour, some don’t bat an eyelid. I’m sure after a night shift or really hard day I will be cursing the drive but for me it’s such a minor part!
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Taff86 »

100 miles a day, 55minutes each way. There is a establishment 10mins from me but sadly are over staffed and its hard for transfer.
MuayThaiRy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by MuayThaiRy »

I’ve honestly never joined a forum so helpful in my entire life, you are all absolutely amazing and
I imagine from what I’m hearing/seeing you are all top quality officers! And yes @charlotteisace I can imagine the night shift drive homes aren’t the best haha.

@taff86 so you can transfer prisons then? If you find a prefer establishment for example a YOI for me? I did like the sound of a female prison 20 minutes from me as it had a farm and me being Reaseheath college and a horse rider I was all excited! But only women can apply :(
Labgurl1993
Official Member
Official Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Labgurl1993 »

I have private messaged you back muaythairy but don't think it is sending for some reason if you message me you Facebook page or email I can help 😊
kinzku5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kinzku5 »

I'm on the merit list for a prison which is less than 5 miles away each way! What a commute! Haha :D

I am also hoping to apply to other nearby prisons which are around 30/40 miles away
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Taff86 »

MuayThaiRy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:14 am I’ve honestly never joined a forum so helpful in my entire life, you are all absolutely amazing and
I imagine from what I’m hearing/seeing you are all top quality officers! And yes @charlotteisace I can imagine the night shift drive homes aren’t the best haha.

@taff86 so you can transfer prisons then? If you find a prefer establishment for example a YOI for me? I did like the sound of a female prison 20 minutes from me as it had a farm and me being Reaseheath college and a horse rider I was all excited! But only women can apply :(
Tbh I prefer the establishment im at, its much better, but down the line I would transfer. They have scrapped the greening scheme which I could argue it would be good for the environment for me to be closer to my home. They only do compassionate transfers atm.
Previous topicNext topic