ARC scores and the waiting game

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Shortyshan

Re: ARC scores and the waiting game

Post by Shortyshan »

I haven’t seen the other thread, but I totally agree that pay should be the same everywhere! I was looking the other day a noticed the salary up north and I think it’s a disgusting wage for the sole fact of the hard, stressful and dangerous work that prison officers put themselves through...

I get that if I was living in that area the wage wouldnt be so bad living wise, like for instance if the wage was the same as the north’s down here I just physically wouldn’t be able to become a prison officer cos I would probably end up homeless so I see why they did have to increase it down here and could see why that caused staff shortages... but it should have been increased everywhere! Saying that... then I would just move up north where it would then be cheaper for me to live.. I can see how this makes a big debate... overall I believe it should represent the work your having to do and it really doesn’t!
Big_Mac

Post by Big_Mac »

It is a market supplement for highest priority recruitment prisons, regardless of category.

Amber - £3,000
Red - £5,000

It is a separate monthly payment on your payslip and is not pensionable.

The salary should be unified across the estate, theoretically it comes down to living costs (location)

Additionally, are you going to get the same calibre of candidates on £22,293 vs £30,094?
Jaybo

Post by Jaybo »

The review is in March, ready for the new financial year.
So this scheme could be scrapped and we will all be paid the same.
I think I read about someone joining and their wage only being the standard when it was advertised for about £3k more.
Big_Mac

Post by Big_Mac »

Anyone who recently received a contract for an amber/red site will have received an allowance letter.

Quote from SSCL Recruitment Services Team

“This allowance was implemented in February 2017 for a period of 4 years and is payable to individuals working in some of our highest priority recruitment prisons. Once this period ends HMPPS have given assurance that no individual will suffer any financial detriment should there be any changes to the current arrangements”

I think if you apply to a campaign for a red prison advertising £27,293 and you remove £5K, you’re not going to attract military, police etc looking to join the service.
Big_Mac

Post by Big_Mac »

Sorry, to clarify Jaybo the pay & hours on the contract excludes the market supplement. The allowance is a separate monthly payment on your payslip.

I had heart palpitations, when I initially read my contract. Realistically, I couldn’t afford working for HMPPS without the additional money.
Jaybo

Post by Jaybo »

Cheers, thanks for clearing that up
So you sign the contract for the standard 22k salary (something around that number) and the rest will come once you get your full payslip?
Must cause much confusion to people who aren’t on these forums and don’t know about how these things work when they come to get their contract at a lower rate than they expect
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Jaybo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:41 am The review is in March, ready for the new financial year.
So this scheme could be scrapped and we will all be paid the same.
I think I read about someone joining and their wage only being the standard when it was advertised for about £3k more.
I really hope it doesn’t... I’m all for everyone being treated fairly and paid the same but when you have high living costs compared to other places like.... I need the money to keep a roof over my head 😅
kinzku

Post by kinzku »

Hey everyone!

This is my prison officer application timeline so far:

09/10/20 - completed online tests and passed
18/11/20 - invitation to book face to face ARC
05/12/20 - passed face to face ARC failed fitness
12/12/20 - face to face ARC results (83%)
03/01/21 - booked fitness retake
15/01/21 - passed fitness
20/01/20 - emailed officially successful & on merit list

I have applied to a prison in the East Midlands. Is anyone in a similar position? I can't stop checking my emails, it's driving me up the wall and I haven't even been waiting that long haha. I'm hoping for a start date in Spring as that is when they bring out the new apprenticeship. Just want to get started now!
Barkingmad2

Post by Barkingmad2 »

Kinzku I have also applied for a prison in the West Midlands and I have flown through everything pretty quickly! I’m currently a month into vetting, and my portal says they will contact me shortly!

You’ve got passed the hardest part now, so just got to relax and wait. It’s going to feel like forever but it’ll be worth it in the end
kinzku55

Post by kinzku55 »

Barkingmad2 .. how long did you roughly wait on the merit list to be contacted on what happens next? I'm trying to keep myself as busy as possible haha
Barkingmad2

Post by Barkingmad2 »

Passed my ARC 27th November, and got offered a conditional offer 30th December so very fortunate with how quick mine happened.

Obviously it all depends on how many people applied to your prison. I scored 90% on mine, but for all I knew there could have been 20+ people ahead of me
kinzku5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kinzku5 »

Barkingmad2 Yes very true! I just hope i hear something in the next couple of months! Good luck with everything 😊