VARC scoring system

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Previous topicNext topic
Shortyshan

VARC scoring system

Post by Shortyshan »

Hey guys!

So I have my VARC yesterday, some parts I felt went well, others I definitely could have done better!

I know patience is key from day one when applying but my god... waiting 3 days to find out if I’ve passed or not is a killer!

Does anyone have any idea how each part is scored?

Like if you did decent at one thing but not so great at the other does it all still add up to a total score or if you did badly on one thing does that fail you on everything else?

Want this more than anything so got everything crossed! But it’s my first try so if not this time I will come back stronger in 6 months time!!
Clem
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: VARC scoring system

Post by Clem »

I personally think most the scoring comes from the role plays so if you have done good in them you should be ok, the written test was always gonna be my downfall as my English and spelling are crap, I dident even bullet point anything and I still passed
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

Do you reckon? I hope so as don’t think I did too bad on the role plays... I mean I’m a very self critical person always end up thinking about what I could have done differently or better afterwards!

Oh god that written test!! Well I’m dyslexic but I didn’t let them know what because at the time that I applied I didn’t have an up to date diagnostic

I just tried to fill out as much as I could, so hard to gauge how you did on something when you don’t really know what it is they are looking at.

But the interview I absolutely flopped on... I just simply suck at interviews, never really had many before to be honest... I just have like these mental blocks, so hoping they don’t go off that too much 🤞🏻 Pretty sure they never used to even do an interview few years back
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Fingers crossed for you. The wait is hard can’t deny that.
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

just got the email to say I was successful!!! :slyay: :slyay: :slyay:

now for the dreaded wait!!! better dust off the running trainers!
Clem
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Clem »

Well done
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

VARC done this morning, was very happy with the setup and how things went after some technical glitches (my fault)

Anyone else on here participate this morning ??
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

I was very sceptical before having my VARC but was surprised at how well organised and efficient it was and feel they are still able to assess people effectively
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Agree with you on that one, had some good staff guiding everyone through the processes 👍🏻

Still bloody daft this virtual crap 😷
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Bear guy, you’ve now passed both the actual ARC and the virtual one? Was it easier or the same?.. I’m just curious as to how you’d compare the two processes....
Personally, I think face to face tests are better for a tough job of being a prison officer...
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Well I haven’t had confirmation of a pass yet like but I’m quietly confident !

I was cacking my pants for both of these, I think I was more stressed out with the VARC personally, mainly due to the tech side of things, but to be fair to the MOJ, it was ran really well, the only glitch I had was that my wifi connection dropped as I was in my summer house, so I had to reconnect twice and ended up doing the interview in my garden 🥶!!

Privacy and quiet does not exist in my house before anyone asks why I was in the summer house 😆 !

I prefer the face to face aspect of it all, my whole preparation was totally different, I felt more ‘up for it’ when I had my face to face ARC in 2019 compared to virtually where I was more worried about wether anyone saw me take a sneaky bite of my bacon sandwich 😆
Previous topicNext topic