Stage 1 Test

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Nik

Stage 1 Test

Post by Nik » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:05 am

Has anyone done the stage 1 recently? I applied for the first time and it seemed that they made some changes, i.e. the situational and numerical test are now enrolled into one, where questions from both sections interchange. Am I right to guess this is a new system?

I was really shocked that my result came back as failed?!! I was reading through the accompanying letter and one of the things that struck me the most was that it said that my numerical skills are inadequate for the role. It is at this moment that I knew there was a glitch in the system. All the numerical questions were sooo easy, there is absolutely no way that I would get any of them incorrectly. As for the situational, well I know that I've got all of my taster questions right, so I was pretty confident about this one too. So, to wait another six months because of the glitch?

The funny thing is, I tried to apply to another prison and funnily it did let me try again??! So before I started I decided to try to answer all the questions a bit quicker, because first time around, I was managing my time so that I could think well before I answer, but still have plenty of time for all the questions. Is it possible that this is why I failed first time? There was no explanation that you would get more points if you finish ahead of time!

So, the second time I did the test, I did it muck quicker, without thinking almost and I passed. Went on to stage two, passed as well. I then applied to many other prisons and each time the system copied my passed test results and it said they will contact me about the RAD.

Now, I received a call from recruitment because they realised there was a glitch in their system and they confirmed that I failed my first test and I can't apply for six months. I tried to explain to them that there was a glitch in the system even in my first test, but they wouldn't hear about it, no chance of appeal, no chance to check my answers against the correct ones, just plain no, wait six months. It was quite frustrating. I mean, they admit there was a glitch in one area, but they don't want to look into my claim of glitch in another? If the system is new, it's not surprising that it would have faults, but this human rigidity in approaching the problem is a bit disappointing.

Did anyone else have experience with this? Thanks

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Stage 1 Test

Post by londonlad81 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:31 am

I believe even if you reapply using an alternative email address, the system will lock up a double application and reject it.
Recruitment aren’t very helpful when it comes to issues, I passed the test in January and before that failed because I rushed the test. I had to wait 6 months to retake.
If there was a confirmed glitch in their system I’d like to think they’d give you another opportunity but they can be very rigid in their recruitment, very unfair.
Lots of people have issues with recruitment as you can see on this site!
Good luck anyway.

As89

Post by As89 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:31 pm

I have to retake my fitness test now before giving a start date does anyone think the new lockdown will put a spanner in the work??

Rosie
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Rosie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Not 100%
Technically its part of the ‘can’t do your job at home’ and it’s an ‘essential service’ BUT with the National lockdown they may have to shut everything down and postpone all the interview type situations, let me know if you hear anything as I’m currently going through my vetting but my ARC runs out on the 7th November
Applied-30/09/2019
ARC-6/11/2019
Conditional offer-29/11/2019
Failed vetting-24/01/2020
Merit list-25/03/2020
Covid saga
Back on the vetting train- 22/10/2020
Fitness re-take-13/12/2020
The call-16/12/2020
Start date 18/01/2021

J129

Post by J129 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:05 pm

Rosie wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:44 pm
Not 100%
Technically its part of the ‘can’t do your job at home’ and it’s an ‘essential service’ BUT with the National lockdown they may have to shut everything down and postpone all the interview type situations, let me know if you hear anything as I’m currently going through my vetting but my ARC runs out on the 7th November
Hi, don't worry about your ARC running out , from parts that I've read , you only have to worry if you were on the merit list but I think you'll be fine, and I think staff will be needed now more than ever so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Rosie
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Rosie » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:15 am

Ahhh thankyou! See I was under the impression that you HAD to have a valid fitness every 12 months but with everything going on I can see that being one of the lesser important ones!
Fingers crossed!
Applied-30/09/2019
ARC-6/11/2019
Conditional offer-29/11/2019
Failed vetting-24/01/2020
Merit list-25/03/2020
Covid saga
Back on the vetting train- 22/10/2020
Fitness re-take-13/12/2020
The call-16/12/2020
Start date 18/01/2021

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic