Overseas Police Certificate Problems

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Camorra

Overseas Police Certificate Problems

Post by Camorra » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 pm

I was backpacking around SE Asia for about 3 years.
The vetting team are asking for Police Check Certificates from the countries I visited and also the dates and countries I went to.
My problems:
1) The text box on the on-line vetting form can only take 255 characters max. I went back and forward between countries and therefore can't enter the info there. They just keep sending the form back asking for info, even though I wrote in the box that the box isn't big enough to handle the info i need to input.
2) All the countries I went to - namely, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia - don't do police certificates or I don't meet the criteria (e.g. I had to have been there for a minimum 6 months and on a residence permit).

3) The vetting team are asking for a "letter of good conduct" if I can't get a police certificate. How and from whom do I get this letter. I was backpacking and sleeping in a tent most of the time. I occasionally stayed in a hostel or a was invited to spend the nigjt in a local"s house. I am assuming that getting a letter from them would be pointless, even if I did have their contact details?

Any advice?

Thanks.

JCOX4
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Overseas Police Certificate Problems

Post by JCOX4 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:57 am

Aint got a clue
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start- Delayed until further notice

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:12 am

That’s a tricky one, a Police certificate for the countries you visited? If you wasn’t a resident there, I’ve no idea how you would get them to do this.
I’m guessing the original question was have you been out the UK for 6 months or more , or something like that?

Camorra

Post by Camorra » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:36 am

Yes. That was the original question.

But, in their request for further information they keep switching between saying that I've visited other countries and that I've lived abroad. They are technically two different things, especially on a legal and official level.
But anyway, back to my original problem, what do they want exactly when they're asking for a "letter of good conduct".
If a foreign embassy is not prepared to do police check for me because i wasn't in the country long enough, then how the hell can they write me a letter of good conduct.
I've asked a police officer friend in one country to write one for me and a lady i rented a room from to write another.
Plus I'll phone the lunatics at the vetting office on Monday and see if I can get some clarity on the issue.

TheRealMe
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by TheRealMe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Try having a look at the search function, you may find topics where people have had similar experiences in the past. Hope you get sorted.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:15 pm

You went travelling to various countries, it doesn’t seem realistic you can get a police check from every place you visited. How would they know you were even there?

Unfortunately your problem is you spent more than 6 months abroad without returning,if you had have come back home for a day and then gone again then it wouldn’t technically have been an issue.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic