Start dates

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Start dates

Post by londonlad81 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 am

Cheers lads! Start in 4 weeks JCOX, so not too long!
Just hope the covid situation doesn’t change anything but I’m sure they still have to honour a job if they have offered someone one?...!
Have you had a contract JCOX? You have to login your portal to check the lady on the phone said...

J129

Post by J129 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:22 am

londonlad81 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 am
Cheers lads! Start in 4 weeks JCOX, so not too long!
Just hope the covid situation doesn’t change anything but I’m sure they still have to honour a job if they have offered someone one?...!
Have you had a contract JCOX? You have to login your portal to check the lady on the phone said...
Congratulations!! Nice to see start dates being given! If you don't mind me asking, how long did you vetting take overall?

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:39 am

I think mine took 12 weeks mate. It can be quicker than that though.

X3197

Post by X3197 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:57 pm

You will get an email with your contract and another with local allowance (assuming you are going to a London jail) then you just click accept on the portal, takes a couple of days. Congratulations on getting a date, I would say it's safe as there is a contract in place and training arranged on the restrictions already in place.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:49 pm

X3197- thanks. Not going to a London jail but did so previously. I’m assuming the training takes into account social distancing but end of the day recruitment must continue surely?!
What’s your position X3197?

X3197

Post by X3197 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:06 pm

I got a date last week, start a little bit before you. The woman on the phone said they have reduced class sizes and others on here have said the same. If you look at how many Prison Officer jobs are being advertised, I would say the initial lock down everything mentality seems to have ended, thankfully.

Leverage7

Post by Leverage7 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi all. New user here.

I applied for HMP Belmarsh literally two days ago. I’ve already passed both the stage 1 and 2 assessments. I’m now awaiting a date at the ARC.

Realistically, how long will it be until I’m given a start date? :sloo: :sloo:

I’m assuming there’s no way I’ll be starting year due to how long vetting could take as well as the Covoid situation. Personally, I just don’t want to have to wait until Spring or early summer for a start date. 💀

Ladder69
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Ladder69 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:09 pm

How longs a piece of string. You need to do your ARC before worrying about a start date as you'll be unable to receive a job offer until you've passed your assessments and placed on a merit list.

J129

Post by J129 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:24 pm

Leverage7 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:03 pm
Hi all. New user here.

I applied for HMP Belmarsh literally two days ago. I’ve already passed both the stage 1 and 2 assessments. I’m now awaiting a date at the ARC.

Realistically, how long will it be until I’m given a start date? :sloo: :sloo:

I’m assuming there’s no way I’ll be starting year due to how long vetting could take as well as the Covoid situation. Personally, I just don’t want to have to wait until Spring or early summer for a start date. 💀
Hi! I wish you all the best, only worry about passing the ARC for now, you need to pass that and then be placed on a merit list, the merit list has some waiting time too! If you need any advice on the ARC or anything like that, let me know, I'll be happy to help you in anyway I can!! All the best!!

Leverage7

Post by Leverage7 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:29 am

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the positivity.

I contacted MOJ and they said they’re looking to release ARC dates sometime within the next week or two.

I’m already thinking about the assessments and am nervous. Im okay with the academic/fitness tests but I’m concerned with how the role play exercises may go. What are they like exactly, and how long do they take? :sloo:

Also, I’m assuming these are going to be done virtually which is a little confusing... :slm:

I’ve already been preparing for the interview stage.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Leverage, the role plays are nothing to worry about. However arguably, the most important as they want to see how you react when dealing with a problem.
I don’t think you can do this virtually, as it would be very hard to assess someone that way...
No one should tell you too much about the role plays but they are normally about 10 minutes each. Trust me the time flies!
You will be briefed exactly what the situation is and you don’t need any prison knowledge prior to this.
My tip is stick to the rules, be assertive but don’t swear or make them angry! Try to solve the problem and ask them questions... it’ll make sense when you’re in there..

By the way the vetting for Belmarsh is a bit more detailed as it’s a maximum security prison, so it may take a bit longer as they do additional checks.
What I can tell you is you won’t get a start date this year and it may well be spring time, after everything is completed. Bear in mind things slow a bit with
Christmas and new year anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic