Apprenticeship Delayed until 2021

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Dartsrob

Re: Apprenticeship Delayed until 2021

Post by Dartsrob » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:23 pm

What happened for you with Full Sutton Bearguy? Yeah I’m hoping I get a place, I just want to get into the job but have the joys of waiting on the Merit list as it stands. How’s it going with you Londonlad? You out of vetting yet?

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:31 pm

Long story Rob,

Top and bottom is, the communication, professionalism, empathy, courtesy, was just simply no where near good enough or what I expected from an organisation such as that.

Covid-19 caused absolute chaos, and they just folded, and let a new starter feel worthless, confused, wondering why I bothered with all the effort over the past few months to get to where I wanted to be.

Dartsrob

Post by Dartsrob » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:22 pm

That’s terrible news Bearguy. So what’s the plan for you now? I agree COVID has caused a huge mess and it’s not promising how it was handled across the country. As for the prison service I can’t say other than I’m disappointed recruitment grinded to a halt leaving me on a merit list.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:58 pm

It hasn’t put me off joining, it just won’t be at that prison, if one thing it taught me, it was that I couldn’t work away from home, being apart from my family, so just going to hold out for something closer to where I am.

I have no doubt that it is one of the best prisons in the country, but one hand didn’t know what the other one was doing, I hope you get a placement there once things calm down.

Dartsrob

Post by Dartsrob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:14 am

Cheers Bearguy 👍

Yeah it’s going to be a bit of a commute for me till I move closer. Being away from family is not good but like you I’ve had to go to the limit of my distance as other than YOI I’ve not seen any vacancies in West Yorkshire.

I hope you find a placement closer to home soon and that all works out for the best.

JCOX4
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCOX4 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:21 am

How far would you guys be travelling?
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start- Delayed until further notice

Dartsrob

Post by Dartsrob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:17 pm

About 50 miles for me Jcox. Nearly all 70 mph roads so not as bad as it sounds and will definitely be looking to move within 20 miles of the site. The problem is the lack of West Yorkshire jobs. Also taking a pay cut to join. The things we are willing to sacrifice to work in the career we want.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:58 pm

It’s not like it’s a financially rewarding job either !

50 mile journey would put a decent hole on your monthly earnings !!

Dartsrob

Post by Dartsrob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:02 pm

Tell me about it. Things we are willing to get our foot in the door. I know about £45 a week. As I say though I have no ties so will be looking to move closer in the first month or two. Starting to think I’m a bit mad but it’s a job I’ve always wanted to do.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:34 pm

Sometimes you just got to gamble and go with it !! If it’s not for you then move into something else !!

Dartsrob

Post by Dartsrob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:39 pm

My thoughts exactly. No point in looking back wondering what if. Hope it all goes right in the end but either way it will be an adventure!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic