Failed vetting appeal

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Rosie
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Failed vetting appeal

Post by Rosie »

Aww that’s good then!
Went through all mine and sent it off yesterday again so fingers crossed! Haha
How’re you doing! Not spoken to you in a
while!
Applied-30/09/2019
ARC-6/11/2019
Conditional offer-29/11/2019
Failed vetting-24/01/2020
Merit list-25/03/2020
Covid saga
Back on the vetting train- 22/10/2020
Fitness re-take-13/12/2020
The call-16/12/2020
Start date 18/01/2021

J129

Post by J129 »

Hi everyone,

I read on the Gov website, that if your application has been in pre-employment checks for 6 weeks you can contact them and they may be able to give you an update , has this worked for anyone else?

Rosie
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Rosie »

Shared services won’t tell you anything you tend to get the week cannot comment on individual applications’ reply and the process says upto 12 weeks pre-Covid so I imagine it’d be a LOT longer now?
Applied-30/09/2019
ARC-6/11/2019
Conditional offer-29/11/2019
Failed vetting-24/01/2020
Merit list-25/03/2020
Covid saga
Back on the vetting train- 22/10/2020
Fitness re-take-13/12/2020
The call-16/12/2020
Start date 18/01/2021

BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BigO »

Hi guys,
I applied earlier this year on a merit campaign and passed everything so far. VARC in December and nothing till last month that where I received the offer. Booked the fitness and medical for next week on the 5th May. Recently completed the Optima questionnaire and spoke to a nice lady who needed some clarification on something from 2019 which is no longer an issue. All good. Submitted the vetting pre employment two weeks ago. I found out yesterday that it’d been referred for a decision then today my application has been deemed unsatisfactory which I’m gutted about. Spoke to someone on the SSCL 0345 number and instructed me to email vetting enhanced and request reason(s) which I duly did straight away. Does anyone know or can anyone point me in the right direction of the next steps and does everyone have the right to appeal or is that it depending on the circumstances.
Thanks in advance

Scotpo

Post by Scotpo »

From what I've seen on here anyone can appeal. Good luck 👍

BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BigO »

Thank you. I’ve built myself up and then only two weeks in, I get that news! Will wait to see what happens

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Chat Room

Post by TheRealMe »

Write to them asking for the reason they’ve failed you. Explain you want to find out so that you can form an appropriate appeal. You get 3 attempts to appeal. If you aren’t satisfied with their reason or it’s too vague, you can also submit a Subject Access Request to gain the information held on your file. It’s not a fast process, believe me, but it could just be something silly that can be rectified. Don’t panic, there is no set timescale for appeals to be lodged.

Russko
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Russko »

Hi Therealme... I got an appeal in myself atm.

If that fails are you saying I can appeal again?

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

That’s right Russko

BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BigO »

TheRealMe wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 pm Write to them asking for the reason they’ve failed you. Explain you want to find out so that you can form an appropriate appeal. You get 3 attempts to appeal. If you aren’t satisfied with their reason or it’s too vague, you can also submit a Subject Access Request to gain the information held on your file. It’s not a fast process, believe me, but it could just be something silly that can be rectified. Don’t panic, there is no set timescale for appeals to be lodged.
Thank you for your message. I was given an email address to write to so I sent that off yesterday asking for reasons why and what the appeal process is. I’ve seen a couple of people saying they’ve written letters so I wondered is there a street address as well?
Many thanks again

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

Approvals & Compliance Team
Shared Service Connect Ltd
Phoenix House, Celtic Springs Business Park,
Newport,South Wales, NP10 8FZ

BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BigO »

TheRealMe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am Approvals & Compliance Team
Shared Service Connect Ltd
Phoenix House, Celtic Springs Business Park,
Newport,South Wales, NP10 8FZ
Brilliant! Thank you. I will make a note of that and when the time comes, I’ll write to them

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

No problem, keep us updated and best of luck

BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BigO »

So I got a response this afternoon. Put it this way, not what I was expecting at all.

Firstly, is this generic or a footnote of some sorts:

A review of this case will only be undertaken if you are able to provide supplementary information that in some way changes the content of your application. Please note that if the reason for failure is non-disclosure, then provision of details of the offences would not be deemed as supplementary information.

And secondly the crux of the unsatisfactory result was down to a previous employer reference. See below:
Following review of your application by the Approvals and Compliance Team, we can confirm the reason your Pre-Employment Checks were unsuccessful was as a result of us having received unsatisfactory references - previous employer.

Now does this mean the very previous employer to the one I’m in now or just previous employer which relates to the particular section on the application form. Also, what can I do to ascertain what they’ve said and who it was? Will the SSCL team tell me that info and how do I go about getting a defence together or a counter argument?

All help greatly appreciated

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

Put a Subject access request in. Chances are they’ll edit it so you don’t see who’s sent it but you might be able to fathom it out. The SAR can take up to 4 weeks to come back but in the meantime you could request some references yourself from former employers or people in reputable professions and make your first appeal.