Failed vetting appeal

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Failed vetting appeal

Post by BigO »

TheRealMe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:26 pm Put a Subject access request in. Chances are they’ll edit it so you don’t see who’s sent it but you might be able to fathom it out. The SAR can take up to 4 weeks to come back but in the meantime you could request some references yourself from former employers or people in reputable professions and make your first appeal.
I might just do that. Is it an easy thing to do?
I’m gonna have to see if I can get a reference or two from previous employer before the suspected bad reference. I left the army in 2012 so I am going to struggle there. Where else can I obtain reference(s) from?

BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BigO »

TheRealMe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:26 pm Put a Subject access request in. Chances are they’ll edit it so you don’t see who’s sent it but you might be able to fathom it out. The SAR can take up to 4 weeks to come back but in the meantime you could request some references yourself from former employers or people in reputable professions and make your first appeal.
Reputable professions? Like solicitor or barrister? Police?

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Chat Room

Post by TheRealMe »

Here’s the email address should you choose to go down that route.

sscl-subject-access-request@gov.sscl.com

You’ll need to include your applicant ID and NI number when you email them to put the request it. Best of luck 👍🏻

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

Yeah, or teacher, doctor etc. Just get as many as you can.

BigO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by BigO »

Ok, so an update on things. I’ve exchanged a couple of emails with a couple of different people in the vetting team. I managed to establish that references aren’t personal as such. It’s more like a “did this person work here, how long for, what was the job role” etc. So I’m a little lost as to where the negative response came from. I have put a letter together which will be going in the post ASAP. The thing is now, my online status has changed to withdrawn application. I’ve been assured that my application is still there after contacting someone on the helpline. I was told “it shows that because it can be worked on in the background. So don’t panic”. Is that normal?

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

I think once they receive your appeal it’ll change to referred for a decision. Wouldn’t worry too much about the status as it is if you’ve been in contact with them.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

The real me... what’s your situation again mate.?You previously served and resigned in probation didn’t you? Was this a jail up north?...

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

Correct and correct. Currently going back through the recruitment process. Passed VARC a few weeks back so just playing the waiting game. God I love that game...

Mitch bird 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mitch bird  »

The real me, I think I passed my varc on the same day as you Friday 23rd April, I haven’t heard anything yet.

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

Really? Go to your application centre and check review communications. You should have heard something, I heard back at the start of the following week

Mitch bird 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mitch bird  »

Sorry the real me, I heard that I had passed on the following tue, but nothing since then. Am I just being inpatient ?

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

What’s the message on your portal?

Mitch bird 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mitch bird  »

This must sound very thick of me but I’m not sure which is my porthole. The email that said I had passed says provisional offer, pre-employment checks and fitness etc, is that my port hole ?

TheRealMe
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by TheRealMe »

No your application centre; JusticeJobs. If you go on that and click on the ‘Review Status’ button below the prison you applied for, there should be a message.

Mitch bird 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mitch bird  »

The real me, it says that I was successful and I’ve been placed on the merit campaign, once I’ve been allocated to an establishment I will begin pre-employment checks.