Pilot RAD at Grendon in November

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Narcisa
Registered Member
Registered Member

Pilot RAD at Grendon in November

Post by Narcisa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi guys. I had my RAD on the 23rd of Nov 2017, slightly different from the usual one and also promising that the whole process from the application to the contract signing and POELT booking won't take longer than 30 days as we would have a dedicated officer to deal with each of us. The thing is that on the day, I passed everything but the bleep test (stupidly) , then re-booked and passed the fitness test on 12th of January. I was expecting that after the fitness test I would meet with someone and be given an offer, like the other guys from the pilot scheme had had, but I was sent home. After the weekend I called the training team at Grendon just to make sure they know I have now passed all tests and curious to know which prison I was assigned to. They were very accommodating and told me that I had been assigned to my first option - The Mount and that shortly I would see a status update on Steria and I would receive an email with the offer and info on pre-employment checks. Well, it didn't happen so far... I know it is unfair to all the other people who waited several months, but at least I want the vetting process to start... is there anyone else who had a pilot RAD?

TangoVictor
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Pilot RAD at Grendon in November

Post by TangoVictor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm

I had a RAD at Grendon. Mine was end of September. I had an offer by early Oct and my vetting was done by DEC. I start in April due to holiday.
Starting as a Prison Officer April 2018 :slzz: :slda:

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

EvaR
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by EvaR » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi Narcisa,

I attended the pilot RAD at Grendon on second week of December (after failing first application round of RAD's in October at the medical). I passed all and was given provisional offer at my first choice on the day (also the Mount!), it took a day before my Steria account updated and allowed me to input pre-employment information (others had been able to update there and then at the RAD centre). Officer Shepherd (RAD Manager) chased it for me the following day.

I was sent OH questionnaire link via email on 18th Dec but I didn't realise this until I received a letter at beginning of Jan, as it had gone into my junk mail. I completed the OH form online and within 4 days I chased up OH and they said I was cleared. I called SS to see if I could get an indication of length of time for the vetting and was advised they couldn't but did say it would never be within the 30 days. Well......I received email 2 days ago from Pip (The Mount's Recruitment Officer) to say that I'd passed vetting and the recruitment team would be in contact in due course to discuss the next steps, she did say that they are really busy contacting lots of people so it may take a short while. Strange thing is, I've passed vetting but they have not even contacted my countersignatory as yet....

All in all, a very quick process and I am so glad I failed my first application due to medical and had to reapply under this campaign or I'd be waiting months by the sound of other's applications.

You hopefully should not be waiting too long, keep checking your Steria status however, if you're still not getting the pre-employment check questionnaire up, you can always get the RAD centre to chase this up for you.

Good luck with all and really nice to finally speak to a fellow newbie who will be joining the Mount!!! We might find ourselves on the same training although, I still have 2 months notice to work once I formally resign :( I'm going to do the POELT non-residential at Grendon as I have a young son.

Eva

Winkle250

Post by Winkle250 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:46 pm

I completed my RAD at Grendon on 22 November, filled in all vetting and OH questionnaire next day, been in vetting ever since and not heard a thing. 8 weeks in vetting since conditional offer which was accepted while at RAD.

Narcisa
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Narcisa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Well done TangoVictor! it was lightening fast for you :slcl: Have you had your induction then?

Narcisa
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Narcisa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

I am so glad Eva! We might do the POELT together by the looks of how fast this is going for me :slhehe: But we'll meet at the Mount! :slbg:

Winkle250, call them I say. Could you? I am guessing you shouldn't call the Training team at Grendon, rather the SS recruitment services - they have some contact details on Steria. It must be frustrating...

Sclarke14
Class: 'Pixie'

Post by Sclarke14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 pm

I had my RAD on the 30th November for this pilot scheme and I have had a status update once to say they’ll be in contact, had a call from my vetting contact within the prison and she said I had passed vetting and that someone would call me soon to arrange the POELT, so I called them to be advised it hasn’t passed so they cannot do anything!
Checking my status everyday is so frustrating! But I’m 7 weeks in tomorrow, hopefully not much longer as I too was told a month and I’d be pretty much done!

EvaR
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by EvaR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 am

Narcisa wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm
I am so glad Eva! We might do the POELT together by the looks of how fast this is going for me :slhehe: But we'll meet at the Mount! :slbg:

Winkle250, call them I say. Could you? I am guessing you shouldn't call the Training team at Grendon, rather the SS recruitment services - they have some contact details on Steria. It must be frustrating...
Let me know how you’re progressing!

Twisties
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Twisties » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 am

Hi Narcisa,

I attended the Pilot RAD on 3rd November and they completed in more or less 30 days.

I'd encourage you to give Newport a call, they will be the best guys to update you on where things are at.

After submitting all my docs for vetting I hadn't heard anything for 3 whole weeks, back then it seemed like a life time, when I phoned they said all was going ok and because I had not heard anything from them was a good sign, so even once your in the process be prepaid to not here anything for a few weeks.

Please update us, be nice to know how things go for you!
RAD - 03/11
Vetting - 05/11
OH Assist - 06/11
Waiting Call - 01/12
The Call - 04/12
Familiarisation Tour - 08/12
POELT - 19/03 Newbold Revel

Winkle250

Post by Winkle250 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Contacted establishment today, they checked and said it would appear that vetting are only waiting for the PNC check to come back.

LauCham
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by LauCham » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm

This may seem a stupid question, so I apologise if it is , but when you contact someone to chase vetting for you do you contact the establishment at which you took your RAD or the one at which you have been assigned to?

Thanks in advance !
20/11/17 - Applied
11/12/17 - RAD
12/12/17 - Conditional Offer :slyay:
14/12/17 - On the Vetting train 🚂
03/01/18 - OH assist call
05/01/18 - OH assist clearance

Twisties
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Twisties » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 pm

My establishment asked me to keep them updated, it was down to me to chase vetting.

So if you can, best to make contact directly with vetting, they always seemed friendly and helpful whenever I spoke with them, which was only 2-3 times.
RAD - 03/11
Vetting - 05/11
OH Assist - 06/11
Waiting Call - 01/12
The Call - 04/12
Familiarisation Tour - 08/12
POELT - 19/03 Newbold Revel

Narcisa
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Narcisa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:41 pm

I sent an email to Grendon RAD center, no reply yet. Maybe I should have contacted Newport... Twisties, do you have a contact no for them?

I wonder how this pilot scheme worked overall, because they are now back to the old recruitment process. Maybe it wasn't very successful... but it worked well for some of us, right? It needs a bit of fine tuning...
14/11/2017 - online application
23/11/2017 - RAD
12/01/2018 - fitness test retake - passed
22/01/2018 - conditional offer
23/01/2018 - pre-employment info sent

Narcisa
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Narcisa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 am

I am finally in vetting :slyay: . It took some time, a few calls and emails, but it is finally happening. Now I should probably get a big dose of patience, keep calm and carry on :slbli:
23/11/2017 - RAD

Narcisa
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Narcisa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Sclarke14, have you been booked for POELT?
23/11/2017 - RAD

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic