Why do you want to be a Prison Officer?

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
NorfolkKarl
Official Member
Official Member

Why do you want to be a Prison Officer?

Post by NorfolkKarl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey Everyone! :slbg:

Just a random one, Just wondering what background everyone has come from? Like work wise?

Also what made you want to be a prison officer? (Surprises me that you never get asked this throughout your application) :slsh2:

Just a bit of fun! :slyay:

I come from a security background, hoping I can take some of the skills I have learnt with me into prison.

I wanted to become a prison officer because I wanted a life long career, its a stable job with room for progression if you work hard enough for it.

Interested to hear everyones answers! :slty:
Applied 16/09/17
RAD passed 15/10/17
Conditional offer accepted 16/10/17

Vetting Train :slty:

Got "The Call" 27/11/17
Started at establishment 08/01/18
POELT starts 26/02/18

Starsnstripes
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Why do you want to be a Prison Officer?

Post by Starsnstripes » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 pm

I was shocked at this too!

I'm doing a degree in forensic psychology so all about what makes a criminal a criminal, what they do and why the do it! So really think a career in a prison could give me a little more insight to this!
Applied 24/11/17
POST 24/11/17
POST PASS 24/11/17
RAD 28/11/17
RAD PASSED 29/11/17
CONDITIONAL OFFER ACCEPTED 30/11/17
REFERRED FOR A DECISION 19/1/18
BE IN TOUCH SHORTLY 23/1/18
THE CALL 23/1/18
START AS OSG 26/2/18
POELT 23/4/18

Slothjr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Slothjr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,

Im a chef! Have been for 10 years made head chef last year and although i enjoy what i do i have a deep feeling of emptiness.
After all i just cook for paying customers, i mess the meal up they get it for free whats changed? They dont like the meal they dont pay and leave dont come back whats changed? I havent made any difference to to there day or there lives theyll go om and so will i.

Atleast in a public service i can attempt to make a difference even if in a 10 year career its to one person ive still helped :)
23/10/17 - Initial application
27/10/17 - Online assessment passed
15/11/17 - RAD passed
15/11/17 - Conditional offer accepted
17/11/17 - All aboard the vetting train
17/11/17 - OH assist form sent off
12/1/18 - The call
12/3/18 - POELT Newbold Revel

morgs
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by morgs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Hey,

I’ve done recruitment for the last 12 years and needed a big change!
In regards to why I want to be a prison officer, there’s a list of reasons to be honest but I need something that will challenge me and where I would be of help to others.

Not sure about everyone else, but I’m really fed up of people asking me why I want to be an officer and the tone of voice they say it in! It’s as though they can’t believe anyone would want to do the job and I find myself continuously have to justify my choice...
Just hope I can prove them wrong!! :sltgn:

NorfolkKarl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by NorfolkKarl » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Yeah I get the same response when I say I'm becoming a prison officer. I just want to better myself like everyone else!

I'm proud I'll be working for MOJ :slcup:
Applied 16/09/17
RAD passed 15/10/17
Conditional offer accepted 16/10/17

Vetting Train :slty:

Got "The Call" 27/11/17
Started at establishment 08/01/18
POELT starts 26/02/18

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SWM5436 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Military for the last 23 and a half years, working in security industry outside of the military from event response and event safety teams to door supervisor and more recently close protection.

Prison service was always something I wanted to do from a young age but wanted to get some life experience before applying, never fancied a desk job and definitely don’t want to continue what I currently do in the NHS when I leave the Army even though I could get a job that would match my current wage.

I am not interested in the money aspect, which is just as well as the starting wage is beyond a joke for what the guys on the landing do and have to put up with.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Busterzemes
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Busterzemes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Nice thread!

As im from Northern Ireland im not going into too much detail for security reason but im not from a security/law enforcement backround, I have always wanted to join the security forces here, partly well actully in a big way because of the security problems we have here. I haven't really been affected directly by the troubles as im to young to remember most of that but I did have a family member shot dead by the ira. I feel really strongly about doing right and seeing evil doers brought to justice. I would be content to be in the prison service or the police I have applied for both. One reason I really want to get in the prison service is I want to talk to the dissent republicans. People probably think im mad looking to do that but I honestly really want to talk to them try and get them to see the bigger picture, I am not afraid of them or the fact they have murdered 2 prison officers lately I am not 1 bit afraid of them, I think it will be a great opportunity and I am really looking forward to it God willing :)

Uphill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Uphill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Busterzemes wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 pm
Nice thread!

As im from Northern Ireland im not going into too much detail for security reason but im not from a security/law enforcement backround, I have always wanted to join the security forces here, partly well actully in a big way because of the security problems we have here. I haven't really been affected directly by the troubles as im to young to remember most of that but I did have a family member shot dead by the ira. I feel really strongly about doing right and seeing evil doers brought to justice. I would be content to be in the prison service or the police I have applied for both. One reason I really want to get in the prison service is I want to talk to the dissent republicans. People probably think im mad looking to do that but I honestly really want to talk to them try and get them to see the bigger picture, I am not afraid of them or the fact they have murdered 2 prison officers lately I am not 1 bit afraid of them, I think it will be a great opportunity and I am really looking forward to it God willing :)

This comes across as inappropriate - the talking to the Republicans and trying to get them to see the bigger picture bit.
Their poor attitude really says more about them than even their lack of basic literacy.

Busterzemes
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Busterzemes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Celticbhoy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 pm
:slag:
I would seriously question my motives
Why?

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:08 am

I maybe one of the lucky ones, every person (family, friends and work colleagues) have all said going in to the service is something I'll be good at. Not one person has come across with unsincere comments which confirms I'm making a good choice in career change.

I come from a disadvantaged background. Single parent who was unemployed and had an alcohol dependency problem. Given my childhood i turned out ok.
School i did poorly with because i didn't apply myself and on the day of leaving i was told I wouldn't amount to anything.

Move forward and I've never been out of work. I never got the chance to serve with the forces due to skin issues and I even applied to the fire service and was told no by them for the same reason.

For the past 15 years I've driven buses, 11 years of that in the Midlands where most days you're dealing with rude, arrogant, abusive and at times violent people. In that time I only ever got assaulted once. So I personally think I've had a bit of experience of what is to come on the landings.
Given my life experiences it would be nice to show others what can be achieved and to help others from a similar background who made a few bad choices there are other options.
Like others, it's the challenge that's the big draw to the job. I'll actually be taking a pay cut but I know money isn't everything.
Walking out the door at the end of a shift knowing you've done a good job if far more important.

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SWM5436 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:21 am

Moredread wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:08 am
Like others, it's the challenge that's the big draw to the job. I'll actually be taking a pay cut but I know money isn't everything.
Walking out the door at the end of a shift knowing you've done a good job if far more important.
Couldn’t agree more with your closing statement, like many, we will be taking a pay cut but if you are in this sort of job for the money then you are choosing the wrong profession. Knowing that you have possibly helped someone and having that satisfaction at the end of the day is key.

Every officer I’ve spoken to has said that they enjoy getting up everyday and going to the job as no 2 days are the same, obviously there are those that hate the job as can be seen from a few posts on here and almost every post on KTD but this happens in every job.

Only one person has questioned why I would want to become a prison officer, the rest are fully supportive and 2 of my friends have asked me to keep them updated on the progress and training as they will be applying when it’s time for them to leave the Army.

Anyway, I digress. Good luck Moredread and everyone else embarking on this chosen career.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

jana10
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jana10 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I have spent the last 10 years doing office based customer service roles. They pay really badly and now I have a 5 month daughter and needed somethings better paying. I have done my time at a desk and was looking at something more hands on - I would have joined the army if my girlfriend was ok with it. My second plan was to join the police, but they are paying very badly. The london prison I have applied for is paying 31K so that sold me. I have been doing door work part time for the last year and love it. I like keeping people safe and breaking up fights and the fact that something can happen at any moment gives me an adrenaline buzz the whole shift even if nothing happens - its like fishing... saying that - I take pride in being able to diplomatically avoid trouble but dont squirm when its crunch time.
I am half way through a 5 year part time psychology degree with the open uni and hope to get into therapy/counselling when I finish, maybe even within the prison service. I've spent a lot of time with societies most troubled and disadvantaged and hope to help in someway.
13/06/17 - passed online test
14/07/17 fam visit
4/08/17 RAD
06/09/17 retook english test
01/11/17 - vetting submitted
8/01/18 The call :slyay:
16/04/18 POELT

Hornet02
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hornet02 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Busterzemes wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 pm
Nice thread!

I'm with some of the others here, I find this very concerning. I think motives need to be assessed here.

As for myself, I have been working in offices for as long as I can remember and I have completely had enough of it Being sat on my ass for 8 hours a day for sod all pay is not for me.

Helping people motivates me, I want a reason to get out of bed in the morning and also have a more hands on active job. If I can make a difference to 1 persons life in 10 years I will be happy!
"Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional"

Busterzemes
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Busterzemes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Guys I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here so let me explain it in simpler terms. When I said I wanted dissent republicans to see the bigger picture I dint mean to make them see the benefit of being in union with great britian or trying to convert them to bristishness. What I meant was seeing the bigger picutre regarding the value of human life, as in what is the point of blowing people up ir shooting them to put it in simple terms. And I it just woulnt be republicans it would be loylist or just ordinarily criminals, but I know people woulnt really bother as much with republicuans so I want to step in and fill that gap.

Alam77
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Alam77 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:48 pm

I will be working in a Prison in London. I have a Business IT degree and I have been working in Sales for the last 15 years and I'm fed up of it now.

I wanted a change for the next 10-15 years until I start thinking about retirement.

I have been told I'm good at persuading, making people agree into buying/changing their habits, see another point of view and iv been told I'm very calm and relaxed person when it's very busy and I don't look stressed out.

One of my customer (ex Police) said he has known me for 4 years and thinks I would be good at the job.

He thinks that once the Prisoners get to know me things will be fine so I thought I'd give it a go.

Most people i know think it's too dangerous but life is risky. Can be walking on the street and can get shot by a random guy. When it's my time to go I will go but I want to work and do as much as I can while I'm here.

I'm not the type to be sitting in a room wrapped in wool.
Applied 22-7-17
Online test reminder 27-7-17
Passed online test 28-7-17
Fam' Day 10-8-17
RAD 18-9-17
Results 20-9-17
Conditional offer 21-9-17
Vetting 22-9-17
The Call 10-11-17 :slbx:
POELT 12/2/18 :slcl:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic