Failed Vetting

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Jackle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Archer'

Failed Vetting

Post by Jackle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:23 pm

I've been told today, after many calls to SS, that I've failed vetting. Apparently I have to send a letter off somewhere, What do I do now? I've got a completely clean record (not even a late library book fine), but a previous employer absolutely hates me. He's given false bad references before. The problem is that they ask previous employers without any input. What can I do about it, or should I just give up?

andylamb
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Re: Failed Vetting

Post by andylamb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Definitely do not give up,
Write to them and show them that your willing and offer other references, That's what i would do.
I have not gotten to vetting stage yet.
But I would argue the point properly for sure.
My Karma just ran over your dogma.
RAD - 10/02/2017 -
Application & Vetting & Appeal - 01/03/2017 >
Contract - 08/05/2018
POELT due to start - 31/06/2017

Fly-Boat
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fly-Boat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:52 pm

There seems to be a few examples on the forum of failed vetting and the applicant appealing and being successful.
Some vetting fails have been due to the lack of response from references so don't give up.
Good luck

Jackle
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Jackle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:10 pm

It only took 5 calls to SS over an afternoon. (1) One said there was a decision but what the decision was wasn't on their system. (2) Another said that I had to contact my prisons vetting contact; they couldn't give me a number, so I had to go through the switchboard without success. (3) I then re-phoned SS asking about it and they said there was a decision last month and a letter was sent out 20 days ago, but they couldn't give details about vetting decisions (but they knew what it was). I tried again at my home prison to get through to the fabled vetting contact.(4) Another phone call resulted in me being told that I had failed when the missing letter was sent to me and I couldn't do anything until this letter arrived. (5) This was followed by another phone call where a helpful guy from SS said that I was listed as failed, but he could not give a reason why. He then helpfully gave me an address to send a letter to, so that I could find out what I failed vetting on. It would also be helpful if the vetting form wasn't a awful excel98 spreadsheet which is fundamentally broken on my system (same with the CTC site), so they've got issues galore. Because no one here uses Linux, BSD or OSX and using a 2004 XP machine to enter information isn't going to result in an ungodly set of errors.

I'm a persistent bastard and I learned early on that when SS say they don't have access to information, they normally do and you just need to keep phoning until you get through to someone who wants to help you.

andylamb
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by andylamb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Carry on being a persistent bast*rd and hopefully this will be rectified and also your persistence noted.
My Karma just ran over your dogma.
RAD - 10/02/2017 -
Application & Vetting & Appeal - 01/03/2017 >
Contract - 08/05/2018
POELT due to start - 31/06/2017

PeaGreen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PeaGreen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:42 pm

I hated the vetting document too, I had to buy Microsoft Office because it wouldn't work on any free software due to the encryption on it, so it could easily be something like that which can be rectified :)

Andylamb is right though, show persistence and it will work in your favour, as it shows you're serious about the career path and willing to make an effort.
Fear cuts deeper than swords

Jackle
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Jackle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:10 pm

I had to dig out an old laptop, which had a screen I couldn't read that well. Nothing worked but that machine. Office 360 didn't work on an old hotmail account, numbers, gmail, open office, a newer version of office all had issues. It was ridiculous, as I had to complete the form and save it as a pdf, as the second it hit my modern machine, it would break.

As for giving up, I don't know. If they gave a reason why, I could rectify things pretty quickly or know where I stood. Theres something infuriating at applying for a job in November to fail in February for unknown reasons with little contact.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Dont give up.
As to a former employer bad reference, they cannot say lies.. Howerver they can tell the truth about disciplines and bad time keeping etc... But it must be true and evidence available if needed.

Jackle
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Jackle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Four members of full time staff total is the issue I have with my previous employer (service industry), plus 3 part timers. One boss who was the entirety of management, plus a 21 year old 'supervisor'. Records of attendance and timekeeping don't exist, nor of what counts as disciplinary action. I got told of frequently for things beyond my control (stock running out on busy days; barrels should of be changed when customers aren't waiting, the cellar should be cleaned fully (whilst somehow keeping the bar open) ), but I don't count those as disciplinary. Its impossible for a workplace like that to follow any proper procedure when it comes to any form of discipline. The place was run on skeleton staff, one barstaff and a cook on Sun-Thurs (two on Fri and Sat nights), so I only worked with someone else one day of the week. On regular weekdays, it was one person running everything (so changing barrels, restocking, serving customers, waiting on, cleaning, etc). So no breaks and constant running about. Everything was sorted out on unformatted MS word documents (shift patterns), so its easily faked if he so wished. I ended up getting the option to take him to tribunal (refusal to pay owed pay), but I never took it up because the tribunal cost over half of what I was owed (£160 fee vs £350 owed) and I don't have £160 and countless hours to spend. It did however succeed in completely souring relations. It was an abusive workplace and I was bullied by the boss (he used to drink at the end of the bar and boss staff about (not just me)), but its caused problems whenever someone does a thorough employment check. On my part, I did do a rather horrid thing, exactly 7 days before a Thursday of a double bank holiday weekend (followed on the Tuesday by a massive sporting event), I handed in my one weeks notice. I was counted on working 60 hours over the Fri-Tue and left him hopelessly short staffed. Fully legal, but he refused to pay me a penny from the point I handed in my notice and dismissed me on the spot (strategically handing in notice was gross misconduct). Whenever someone asks, I was fired for gross misconduct etc. I shouldn't of handed in my notice when I did, and it caused the place to loose a lot of money over one of the busiest periods of the year, but I couldn't stand being belittled and told off every time my boss saw me. I suppose I did wrong and am now reaping the consequences. But I don't count that as a disciplinary action either. You also can't fit that onto a simple MS excel vetting form.

Its one of the reasons I want to join a proper organisation. Theres someone to appeal to and systems in place.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Then what you have stated could be an appeal on failed vetting, if that is the reason.
You can ask for the reasons but you must write, as far as I'm aware

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic