Has anyone ever failed vetting and for what reason?

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
TheRealMe
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Has anyone ever failed vetting and for what reason?

Post by TheRealMe » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:51 am

Morning, you need to account for your last 5 years of employment on the vetting forms. I would imagine your situation is not uncommon, companies reduce staffing levels/relocate/cease trading all the time. Personally, I would give the details for HR and make reference to the situation in the Additional Information part of the vetting forms. The vetting team can also use HMRC records to check your dates tally up, therefore, I wouldn’t worry too much about it- especially as it’s 4 years ago.

Hope that helps :slby:

J129

Post by J129 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi everyone, so tonight my status changed to being referred for a decision, is this a good thing ? It's been 6 weeks of vetting so I'm hoping it ends out well

dookie197
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dookie197 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:14 pm

My status changed to this 2 weeks today & this evening i had "the call" - start 11th Jan at my establishment and 25th for training!

Hopefully you wont be too much longer!

J129

Post by J129 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Thank you for your reply! I wish you all the best with your training and I hope you enjoy it!

Oldman46
Rookie Member

Post by Oldman46 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:09 am

TheRealMe wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:12 pm
Evening oldman, I wouldn’t hold out for a reply mate. The original comment you quoted was posted in 2016 and the user hasn’t been active since 2018. Hopefully there’ll be someone else using the forum who can answer your questions, though.

Best of luck :slby:
Cheers @TheRealMe.... Really should have noticed that.

On a positive note, just found out last week that I start on Monday.... Not sure what changed (assume someone pulled out at the last minute) but looking forward to getting in the door.

Cheers

Oldman46
Rookie Member

Post by Oldman46 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:14 am

dookie197 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 pm
Hi,

I am currently at the same stage as you, have been offered a provisional position which I have accepted, subject to vetting I should be good to go.

I've heard from optima health and my counter signatory has been contacted. I have honestly found the process a bit useless, no-one can seem to give me any information and feel like i'm in limbo waiting around for anything!

I have also found it a bit disheartening to be told yes you have a job, but you could be waiting anywhere between 1 and 6 months :(

The wait continues!!!
Hi Dokie197

I appreciate how you feel. I thought the provisional offer could have been worded better as I really was over the moon when I got it but quickly lost that feeling when I was told maybe I'd get in for May 2021 but no guarantee.
I found out last week I do in fact have a job and start on Monday. I think someone pulled out last minute.
Fingers crossed you get some good news sooner rather than later as the whole wait six months and maybe get something is a bit of a gut punch.
Good luck

Oldman46
Rookie Member

Post by Oldman46 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:21 am

J129 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:31 am
Hey everyone,

I've been reading different bits, I was wondering if occupational health give you the all clear before vetting was done Or do you just find out once it's all done Many thanks 😁😁😁
Hi,

I'm in Scotland but I received a call from occ health and they confirmed they passed me fit and would advise the recruitment team. I can't say for sure but it seemed to me that this step was required before the remaining vetting was carried out (just the impression I got so don't take that as gospel).

Cheers

dookie197
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dookie197 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 am

Congratulations on your start next week, i hope it goes smoothly!!

I have had the call now and I start 11th Jan, I'm just itching to get going now, feel like this will be a long couple of months!!

Did you request to be informed of any spaces coming available? or did they just contact you?

THanks

Oldman46
Rookie Member

Post by Oldman46 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:03 pm

dookie197 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 am
Congratulations on your start next week, i hope it goes smoothly!!

I have had the call now and I start 11th Jan, I'm just itching to get going now, feel like this will be a long couple of months!!

Did you request to be informed of any spaces coming available? or did they just contact you?

THanks
Cheers,

Congrats on getting your start date. I'm sure the time will fly... Always helps when you have a date.

After I was told there would be no job before May I just started applying for other work. When HR contacted me it was unexpected but welcomed.......all job applications now binned :D

J129

Post by J129 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 pm

I posted on here a couple of days ago, I was referred for a decision and now I'm back to pre employment checks !! Vetting never seems to end, it's been 7 weeks now so im hoping not much longer !!

dookie197
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dookie197 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Oh no, sorry to hear that!!! it is an annoying process isn't it. Good Luck!

Milky07

Post by Milky07 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:56 pm

How do they do your medical checks in vetting?

Do they contact your doctor?
Do they get to look at your entire medical record or does the doctor just answer specific questions?

Cheers

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:42 am

Hi milky.

It’s an occupational health survey. Then they schedule a phone call if there’s anything they need to discuss further. I’d say just be honest. Vetting is deep and one of, if not the most important aspects is honesty. Good luck. Think we all overthink vetting but if we are law abiding, finances are in order and in reasonable health we have nothing to worry about.

Milky07

Post by Milky07 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 am

Cheers dartsrob

I just worry that due to the stressful nature of the job, I might fail due to having a history of not great mental health.
I’m fine and been fine for years, not on any medication, just worry it’ll hold me back

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:34 am

I’d mention it on the health questionnaire then you will get a phone call and discuss it with a professional. It’s something vetting would find out anyway. Have the phone call with occupational health and see what it says. Worth a shot and it shows honesty, integrity and above all you’re coming to terms with it and not hiding from it. Fingers crossed for you we all have flaws doesn’t mean it will automatically bar you from the job

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic