POELT... a few of the rules to adhere to.

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'

POELT... a few of the rules to adhere to.

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:31 am

Just thought I'd post this for those about to start their training. A few of the rules, standards and policies you can expect to encounter when you get to your POELT course.

Here's the guidelines for dealing with those rules:

1. POELT does not care what your establishment allows or does.
2. When your trainers tell you that you are in breach of a standard, policy or rule, it is not a topic open for discussion or negotiation.
3. Don't whine when you're told - if you can't meet the standards required for 10 weeks, then how are you going to meet the standards for the rest of your career?
4. Losing your bangles and baubles for 10 weeks is a short-term pain for long term gain so just do as you're told.
5. It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with the rules or standards or if you think they are trivial or picky - you are required to adhere to them.

Now for some of the standards:

General Uniform - if you don't have your issued uniform, bring black trousers (not skin tight or black jeans) and white shirts or blouses. A plain black jacket may also be handy.

Ties - are worn by male officers only. If you don't have your issued tie, then bring a plain black one... and if you're in uniform, your tie should be on correctly at all times unless permission has been given to remove it (this includes when you're at meals etc.).

Black shoes or boots - if you don't have your issued footwear then be sensible. Wear something similar - not trainers, stilletos, ballet pumps, flip-flops or the like. Make sure they are polished everyday.

Belts - are part of your uniform. If you don't have an issued one then get a plain black belt.

Socks - plain black. Simple.

Shirts/Blouses/Trousers - iron them. It is not acceptable to take a shirt straight from the packet and wear it.

Underwear - Ladies, wear white underwear under your blouse. Any other colour shows through. If you want to wear a t-shirt under your shirt then make it plain white (no logos) and one that is not visible (i.e. V-neck if your shirt is open at the collar).

Sports Clothing - you will need this for C&R. Bring sports clothing that doesn't matter if it gets damaged (it can happen) but don't bring the joggers you usually do the decorating in! Or anything with an offensive slogan or motif. You will need suitable trainers too.

Punctuality - lateness is not acceptable. POELT doesn't care why you're late as it's your responsibility to ensure you get there on time (particularly important now the training is not 100% residential).

Punctuality - if you're told to be somewhere, be there 5 minutes before the time you were told.

Make up - it's not a nightclub so you don't need your full face of war paint. Keep it to a minimum.

Hair - long hair (Ladies or Gents) must be tied up so that it does not fall onto your shirt collar. If you're in uniform, your hair should be up (including when you're at meals etc.).

Hair - extreme hairstyles are not permitted. If you think your haircut may be extreme, then it probably is - change it for your training.

Hair - extreme colours are not permitted. If your hair isn't a natural colour then change it for your training.

Nails - if you turn your palms towards your face and can still see your nails over your finger tips, then your nails are too long - cut them. POELT doesn't care how low you've had them or how much the gels cost. This is a Health & Safety issue, particularly for C&R.

Nails - neutral coloured nail polish only.

Rings - plain, no huge sovereigns, solitaires etc. Maximum of three (wedding, engagement, eternity or signet).

Piercings - facial piercings (eyebrows, lips, noses etc.) are not permitted. Take them out.

Earrings - 2 sets of stud earring are allowed. Everything else needs to be removed.

Bangles/Neckless's/Wristbands - unless they are genuinely of religious importance, they are not allowed.

Shaving - shave everyday or grow a beard. Stubble is scruffy.

Watch - wear one (cheap will do). You will need one to note times of incidents etc.

Hands - don't live in your pockets. You will be pulled by anyone and everyone if they see you with your hands in your pockets.

Mobile Phones - this may come as a shock, but you won't die if you don't have your phone on you. Leave them in your rooms and even at break times, don't get caught wandering around during the working day with your phone.

Mobile Phones - you may have something going on at home (urgent pay query, pregnant partner etc.) and need your phone on you. This can be allowed. However, telling your trainer have your phone on you because of xyz is not asking permission. Ask first, then go get your phone when permission is granted.

Food & Drink - don't wander around your training venue whilst eating and drinking. Carry your food and drink to a suitable rest area and then eat/drink it.

Smoking/Vaping - is only permitted in the designated areas.

Swearing - keep it to a minimum and be aware of who is around you (applies to general conversation too - you never know who's listening!).

Classroom supplies - most are provided for you but every good Prison Officer carries a pen and a notebook. Black ink only.

Grassed Areas - if your training venue has grassed areas - don't walk on them. Simple.

Alcohol - POELT has an Alcohol Policy. If you turn up and your trainer thinks you are not fit for duty then expect to be subject to a breathalyser test. Fail this and you're sent back for your establishment to deal with as they see fit.

Partying - enjoy your training... but you're there to work. It's not a University Campus. Control yourself or expect to deal with the consequences (see above).

Relationships - they happen but rarely last. You're all adults so deal with it like adults. If it happens during training, it stays during training.

General Behaviour - you are under scrutiny as soon as you arrive at your training venue... from your trainers and anyone else on site. You will be amazed that when something happens in the evening, your trainers usually know about it by 08:30 the following morning (this includes the subject immediately above!). If you are involved or have knowledge of any incidents and you are asked about it - tell the truth - they will find out eventually and lying is a big problem for a Prison Officer.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it. This thread is not meant to put anyone off or sound dictatorial - it's just to give you all a heads up so you can avoid the grief later on.

Do what you're required to do for 10 weeks with minimum fuss... after all, whining about it won't get you anywhere! Consistent and persistent failure to adhere to the required standards and policies can (and has) lead to removal from the course.

HTH...

NTKB :slda:
Last edited by NeedToKnowBasis on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

kiloren
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Jasper'

Re: POELT... a few of the rules to adhere to.

Post by kiloren » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for that NTKB

Lot of rules that you think would be commen sence but I bet a lot of people break them!
"I know what I must do. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do it. Will you help me?"

spongebob2015
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by spongebob2015 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks NTKB what you have written will be a great help to me and many others a lot of it is basics and a lot of it i can relate to from my career in the military prior apart from no thrashing :)
"UBIQUE! QUO FAS ET GLORIA DUCUNT"

Kenbarlow16
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Kenbarlow16 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks NTKB, seems very similar the army basic can't wait to start now

Unknown
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Unknown » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:19 am

Also can people remember you work for the government now, be careful what you put on social media and don't travel in blues

Alayowen
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Alayowen » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:42 am

Great up to date info for those of us starting the training, thanks.

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Unknown wrote:Also can people remember you work for the government now, be careful what you put on social media and don't travel in blues
That is excellent advice!

Social media will drop you in it in an instant!

If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by anewstart » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:01 pm

All very sound advice.

Coxy75
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Coxy75 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Top advice, thank you. Takes me back to early days in the military.

freak
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by freak » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:48 pm

I might struggle with the hands in pocket rule :306:
Y N W A

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Sew them shut... :slbli:

kiloren
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Jasper'

Post by kiloren » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Haha that's true NTKB they did that to a lad in work
"I know what I must do. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do it. Will you help me?"

BigDave
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BigDave » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up NTKB. I have always taken pride in my appearance and punctuality, and I should have no trouble with the rest of it, fingers crossed. After all, we're there to learn, not have giggles!
I've recently been doing evening classes at college to try and better myself academically before applying, because I'm focused and want to succeed. It would pain me to see people turn up with a "can't be arsed" cavalier attitude, when people who genuinely want to be there miss out due to places being taken up by people who have no intention of giving it 100%
Roll on POELT :)

Baldy1970
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Baldy1970 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Good advice! I would add - if the tone of this post offends you, then you probably will not last very long in the prison service! However, in my experience, even if you are told to comply with these 'rules', when you get to your establishment, there will be plenty of staff who will not!
I don't have money.
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.
Skills that make me useful for people like you.

Thepower
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thepower » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Agree with all these... I don't think training and its values have changed much at all during the history of the prison service, there's a lot of unwritten rules in the prison service which still hold true to this day,

The first week in the establishment will be a mixture of daunting and excitement.... I remember my first time entering and it dawned on me what I had signed up for... Weird places are prisons but it's amazing how normal they become in time to you! itll be nothing like you'd expect. Once you walk on to a wing you'll be surprised at how busy it is, I still remember when I did 9 years ago and it seemed totally different the first time to how it actually is if that makes sense, you will have cons coming up to speak to you chat to em back there a good laugh some of em! They will try and wind you up but it's mostly banter just don't show weakness and have your boundaries you'll get a lot of questions what's your name etc mister this or Miss that, among other things.

When you join your job never refer to a member of staff by there first name until they tell you! Same goes with nicknames etc. Maybe this holds more with most the old guys with years in but best to be on the safe side... And never use first names Infront of cons!

Also appearance is key! Never be untidy some this will always be held against you!

Never copy a certain member of staff exactly try and pick up there best bits and bits from different members of staff when you go live and incorporate them into yourself as an officer.

Also enjoy your training guys! It'll be the best ten weeks of your life and you'll make friends forever! The trainers are great there aswell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic