Latest Info For POELTS - August 2015

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
baitskrew
Rookie Member

Re: Latest Info For POELTS - August 2015

Post by baitskrew » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:51 am

Just a quick "hello" with some more tips.

I passed my six weeks. Enjoyed every second of my training and it has given me the confidence to succeed. The trainers will give you every tool you need to bring back to your establishments. I've re-read my original post and stand by it. Maintain your level of professionalism which is instilled into and you won't go far wrong.

Further Tips & Info

- As above, the project is a way of lightening the mood. If you're not great at public speaking on week one, you'll definitely see a marked improvement by week six. Keep it professional. I saw some shocking ones, and heard of even worse. I'm amazed quite frankly that people put sexual/expletive presentations forward. It's just not necessary.

- Revision Cards. I wouldn't of been able to complete my exams without them. You do a mid term exam in week three, then two papers in week six. I got good marks thanks to writing down questions on cards and memorising the answers on the back. You'll receive ALOT of handouts. As I said, highlighter pens are a fantastic way of noting key things which "may" be in the exams. Write theses things down from week one and the exams will be a breeze.

- Folders/Binders. Buy one. They'll be an easy way of getting all your handouts in order.

- Attendance. If you miss one day of training, you'll get sent home and have to do the whole six weeks again. In the mean time, you'll be at your establishments doing menial tasks or sat in a room twiddling your thumbs until they slot you in for another six week stint. If your absence is down to drugs or alcohol, expect to be shown the door and your P45 in the post.

- Uniform. You can get missing uniform sent to your training venue. At the end of the day, they don't want you sitting there on graduation day with ties and epaulettes missing, so the trainers WILL lean on your establishment to get uniform sent to you.

- Control and Restraint. It's not as hard as you may think. There are only three techniques you'll have to worry about for the assessment in week five, however, hone these skills and concentrate. The trainers WILL all be in that cell on assessment day scrutinizing your every move. You have two chances to nail it. Fail that and it's a week long trip to newbold etc. doing solid C&R to ensure you're going onto the wings fully equipped.

mattzo027
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by mattzo027 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Just like to add your C&R assessment may not be week 5 ours is tomorrow and we're week 3,

We did 5 days solid of C&R it's hard going but good
Nothing is impossible, just try, try and try again eventually the odds are you will succeed.

Bexster
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Bexster » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi,

I am new to the site and have got my POELT training in January, with regards to "exams" do you need a certain mark to pass?
Is it quite hard? slightly nervous now that i would have quit my current job to do this and then not left with a career at the end of the training :(

Any advice would be great.

mattzo027
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by mattzo027 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:57 pm

As of January you will be on the new 10 week course I believe.

Exams may be slightly different.

But the ones I did were what you make of them I scored over 90% on mid term and final but you need to listen, revise, listen, revise etc.

As long as you keep on top of it all you should do fine and yes their is a pass mark for the final exam but don't worry about it.
Nothing is impossible, just try, try and try again eventually the odds are you will succeed.

Fizzer
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fizzer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:33 pm

mattzo027 wrote:As of January you will be on the new 10 week course I believe.
Correct.
As for if the exam is any different I wouldn't have a clue.

It is a little worrying though that if you don't pass the exam you may not get in. It (for me) just adds a hell of a lot more motivation to be 100% focused from day one and really keen to take in as much info as possible.

I'd like to think though that the exam isn't the be all and end all if failed.

KyleS93
Official Member
Official Member

Post by KyleS93 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Don't start to get all worked up about the exams just revise and you'll do fine.

It's not a fail and that's it you've failed the course and end up down the job centre signing on the dull, if you fail your final exam. You will get to do a re sit of the exam the next day (but it won't be the same paper) as far as I know cause I passed it first time. But trust me guys just listen to what the tutors tell you and write down what they say you need to know for the exam cause trust me your need to know it!

But guys on a positive note good luck for when you start your training enjoy yourself!

Bexster
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Bexster » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Thank you for the info, it's great to discuss all this with others who have experienced it all.

On the first day of the first weeks training at the chosen prison do you just need to wear smart clothing? E.g interview type clothing? - only says black shoes on the paperwork I have received...

Gym kit required too?
Note pad for all the questions and answers I'm guessing would probably be a good idea too?

KyleS93
Official Member
Official Member

Post by KyleS93 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Yeah wear like black trousers and white shirt and black shoes and I don't understand gym stuff!!

I didn't need to take it haha and I just took my self and ID because your literally just going to be walking round with people getting to know the staff on your wing and that really !

Wannabe1973
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Wannabe1973 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Fizzer wrote:
mattzo027 wrote:As of January you will be on the new 10 week course I believe.
Correct.
As for if the exam is any different I wouldn't have a clue.

It is a little worrying though that if you don't pass the exam you may not get in. It (for me) just adds a hell of a lot more motivation to be 100% focused from day one and really keen to take in as much info as possible.

I'd like to think though that the exam isn't the be all and end all if failed.
Fizzer... Have you been officially told that the course is now going to be 10 weeks?

KyleS93
Official Member
Official Member

Post by KyleS93 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:50 pm

My tutors said it's going to 10 weeks as of January

Fizzer
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fizzer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:59 am

Wannabe1973 wrote:
Fizzer... Have you been officially told that the course is now going to be 10 weeks?
I had a call from the head of Noms recruitment regarding the relocation package to London - he stated that it would look like at least January that I would start and if so then this would mean starting on the new 10 week programme.

riflegreen74
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by riflegreen74 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:36 am

KyleS93 wrote:Yeah wear like black trousers and white shirt and black shoes and I don't understand gym stuff!!

I didn't need to take it haha and I just took my self and ID because your literally just going to be walking round with people getting to know the staff on your wing and that really !
Wear comfortable but smart clothing. You don't need to go the whole hogg and wear a suit but don't go ripped jeans either. Day one first thing and you should be directed to the store for your uniform. Mine had been bagged up good to go weeks before I got there (the whole lot). The sports / tracksuit stuff is for personal protection training. (Very very simple stuff for an hour and a half). A relaxed but flexible week. Each establishment is different and they should email an induction week programme the week before you start.
Think about how stupid the average person is..... Then realise that half of em' are stupider than that :slnuts:

Fizzer
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Fizzer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:55 am

riflegreen74 wrote:
Wear comfortable but smart clothing. You don't need to go the whole hogg and wear a suit but don't go ripped jeans either. Day one first thing and you should be directed to the store for your uniform.
If anyone goes in ripped jeans the first day of POELT they should be refused the job on the spot there and then. Have some pride for Christ sake - just saying

Bexster
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Bexster » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:21 pm

riflegreen74 wrote:
KyleS93 wrote:Yeah wear like black trousers and white shirt and black shoes and I don't understand gym stuff!!

Wear comfortable but smart clothing. You don't need to go the whole hogg and wear a suit but don't go ripped jeans either. Day one first thing and you should be directed to the store for your uniform. Mine had been bagged up good to go weeks before I got there (the whole lot). The sports / tracksuit stuff is for personal protection training. (Very very simple stuff for an hour and a half). A relaxed but flexible week. Each establishment is different and they should email an induction week programme the week before you start.

Great stuff, just like to be prepared that's all, I said gym kit for the protection training ;)
Sounds like a really good week to me :slyay:
I've been informed that the pay is at the end of each month, I'm just wondering from my start date which is mid Jan, would I receive pay for the 2 weeks at the end of the month, or would that accumulate into the next months pay packet? (Would need to limit spending and bills etc).

KyleS93
Official Member
Official Member

Post by KyleS93 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:23 pm

When I started mid way through the month I got 2 weeks wages at the end of the month

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic