VARC top tips please

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
RedT 
Official Member
Official Member
Top poster of the Month

Re: VARC top tips please

Post by RedT  »

Thank you. I’m sure I will be fine and I’m normally a really confident person. I guess it’s just the uncertainty of what to expect and the fact that no one really knows I’m
Going for this as I’m currently in a vet different job (lots of transferable skills) and I don’t want them to know about this so early on, so I haven’t really had people to stress about it too.

I’ve got this…..I hope
Applied: 08/06/2021
Online tests: 09/06
VARC: 08/07
Passed VARC: 13/07
Conditional Offer: 22/07

RedT 
Official Member
Official Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by RedT  »

Well I’m all done. Was oddly very enjoyable. I was confident throughout and feel I did my best and showed my true self, so now just to wait and see if it was enough x

Mrs Iron Ore 
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by Mrs Iron Ore  »

That’s great Trisha I’m sure you’ve done well, let’s us know when they get back in touch, it’s the vetting train next for you lovely, happy days :slcl:

RedT 
Official Member
Official Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by RedT  »

They said we should hear in 3 working days. I felt I did my best but you obviously don’t really know what they are scoring you against so don’t get a feel if if you did enough. I hope I pass and am confident I did well. I hope that if I don’t pass I’m able to get some feedback.

Do you know with the merit system how it works? It says you will only get provisional offers after everyone in this recruitment has gone through assessment and that this can be upto 8 weeks after the application closing date. The closing date for the vacancy I applied for isn’t till 22nd July, so would that mean that even if I pass the VARC it could be the end of September before I know if I’ve been picked from the merit list and start vetting?

Lay19 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Lay19  »

Merit system is essentially a waiting list for an available position at your establishment.

The time you wait for allocation can vary, so for myself I only waited 4 weeks on the merit list but one of the guys I trained with had been waiting 8 months.

The list is based on your score, and Sscl don’t tell you where you are on that list which is bit rubbish, if for example there are 10 positions available, there could be 10 people with a higher score than you who will be allocated first

Someone may correct me but I believe you can stay on the merit list for up to 12 months

It’s just a waiting game now, fingers crossed that you get allocated quickly.

RedT 
Official Member
Official Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by RedT  »

Lay19, thank you for your reply. Yes I read that you can be on the merit list for 12 months. I just felt that it would be not till end of September that even if I was high enough on the merit list that provisional offers would be made, based on the info of 8 weeks after the closing date.

Yes it’s just going to be a waiting game now isn’t it :)

RedT 
Official Member
Official Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by RedT  »

Woo hoo……had an email to confirm I passed my VARC x