Screwed

Recommend your best Amazon Products here and add your own review!
Stu232
Official Member
Official Member

Screwed

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Has anybody read the book Screwed by Ronnie Thompson?

I thought a lot of it was a very good read and very well told stories of what goes on behind the gates and on the wings of a prison. I also thought that some of it was made up to sell a few more copies?

I have recently started as an OSG in the prison service and i got given this by a friend to read so just wondere dif any of you guys have read it and what are your thoughts about the book?
Last edited by falkor on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: amazon added

Rockchick
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Re: Screwed

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 pm

I've read it and I enjoyed it but the writer clearly has a lot of anger about his experience as an officer.
Born Free, Then somebody caught me.Fletcher

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Ronnie Thompson's book to be made into a film

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:54 am

10 September 2010
By Mark Branagan
Scarborough is to get valuable exposure which will boost the local economy after the seaside town was chosen as a setting for a new film.

Council bosses hope providing the backdrop to Screwed, based on the best-selling novel of the same name by former prison officer Ronnie Thompson, will provide bring similar movie magic to the shooting of Little Voice a decade ago.

It is being directed by Reg Traviss, who has been dating singer Amy Winehouse for the past few months, and stars James D'Arcy, of Master and Commander fame, with Frank Harper and Noel Clarke also taking leading roles.

Scarborough Council officers have been assisting with locations for the film, with shooting set to take place from next week and into October.

The council hopes the gritty movie about life as a prison officer will be as big as a success as Little Voice, which starred Michael Caine, Ewan McGregor, Jim Broadbent and Jane Horrocks.

Ironically, the original play was based in Manchester but the producers opted for a seaside setting because it was felt resort towns attract a broad range of characters and they needed to make Caine's Cockney presence credible.

A council spokesman said yesterday: "Any disruption while filming takes place will be negligible and will be far outweighed by the benefits. We could see the Little Voice factor all over again, with an increase in visitor numbers to Scarborough, and many people wanting to seek out all the places that feature in the film, like Dean Road Gaol.

"It could be a real boost for the local economy, with the positive effect on tourism lasting for many years to come."

A spokesman from the production team said: "We are delighted to be shooting in Scarborough and would like to thank Scarborough Borough Council for the tremendous help it has given us.

"This is a very exciting project and Scarborough has just what we are looking for in terms of locations. The locals we have met

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Except the book is based in a London Jail, not at the "Sea Side"......................
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

Starred Up
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:33 pm

I find it pays to keep a copy in the shithouse, you never know when it might come in handy! :wink:
"Esau was a cunning hunter, a man of the field". Genesis 25 : 27 .

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:46 am

:slcl:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

BlondieOfficer
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I read it, enjoyed it, brought another prison officer book... cant think what its called, something by Jim Dawkins...

Read about 3 chapters of the Dawkins one and chucked it in the bin, i got bored! Thought he blabbed on about Charlie Bronson and how they were such good mates too much, i wanted to know about stuff in the prison, not about how great charlie bronson is!!
Oct 2009 - Applied
Nov 2009 - RAD
July 2010 - "The Call"
Sept 2010 - Start

"The strongest man you'll ever meet is the man who has the courage to admit his own weaknesses"

Die no saw 55
Rookie Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:47 am

Personally, I thought the book was a contradiction of what he was saying about himself. According to the author, he was the most honest & trustworthy officer within HMP Pentonville, (oops, have I given away his secret) and that the prison service would not have servived without him. Yet in the 25 years I have served within the prison service, a lot of it at the ville, I have not once been tempted to bring in a bacon sandwich for a prisoner. How does that work then? And as for the famous bedwatch......!!!
For me, the book was a "pull up a sand bag" moment for most of it, with a large dose of poetic licence. Sorry mate, but you didn't do it for me. I felt angry and embarassed when I read it. But you got what you wanted out of it, my money. 10 out of 10 for effort, but no cigar.

:slRA2: :slst: :sljo: :cy: :cy:

Stedler
Rookie Member

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Ha nice one Die No Saw !
I too worked at the ville at the same time as this Officer but i didnt give him my money i borrowed the book !
Like you i was slightly embarrassed by the book - i had bigged up the Ville and its Staff for years after leaving and serving at two other nicks and then they all read this book . Some of it was true and gave me some laughs when describing the Prison Officer in charge of the P O A . (you know who i mean ) but all the other ' im the greatest screw that ever walked the earth ' was just shite !
The piece where he describes stopping an officer at the gate and taking him upstairs to Security where the Police were waiting for him was actually me and another member of Security and the author was definately not there !
Hopefully one day someone will write a book about being an Officer where they actually describe the day to day stuff as it is and not be a Microwave Screw !

Die no saw 55
Rookie Member

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this book is, "pull up a sand bag, I've got other peoples stories to tell". When you say that you hope someone writes a book giving details of the day to day things that happen, well I've already started. I have 7 years left to do, (Pre Fresh Start) hence the name Die no saw 55, and I have been working on a book just as you described for a while now. I am not going to put it forward for publishing until I retire as I don't want to leave myself wide open for a sacking, a long while yet I know. But when I finally put it all together it will, I hope, be a good read; I mean 32 years of being a Prison Officer should give me something to go on aye?
When it goes to press, I will add my Die no saw 55 tag so that anyone who happens to read it and is a member of this forum will know who it's from.

Cheers my friend

D N S 55 :slbx: Keep on fighting

madeine
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Priest'

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:57 pm

purplepig20 wrote:Except the book is based in a London Jail, not at the "Sea Side"......................
Who cares it's a book/film for entertainment not a documentary ... doh

Skippy
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:28 pm

I still think it was written by a woman.
simples

madeine
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Priest'

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Lol, ur probably right. I haven't read the book, but I've seen a clip of the film. It looked slightly more realistic than bad girls. Any one for a bacon sarnie?

Die no saw 55
Rookie Member

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Whats the seaside got to do with anything we are talking about here. Grab your bucket & spade and shuffle off. :slRA2:

Stedler
Rookie Member

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:06 pm

DIE NO SAW 55
glad your writing a book about the real stuff that goes on and yes you will have a shitload of stories to tell . i have and im only in my 11 year .
I was on D wing at the Ville icould write a book on that wing alone !!!
Good luck mate

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic