How far would you commute?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

CleverGirl
Registered Member
Registered Member

How far would you commute?

Post by CleverGirl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Title says it all really,

Been offered a place that’s an hours drive away. Now I used to live in London, so a hour or two commute by public transport is the norm, but people I have mentioned it too seem to think this is hideously far and too long.

I live in the North West and have been waiting a few months for closer establishments but they are full.

Burtonboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How far would you commute?

Post by Burtonboy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:38 pm

I'm looking at all establishments that an hour maximum travel, but I'm also taking into account traffic, so some that might be possible on a clear day are being ruled out as I know it would mean at least an hour plus in any traffic.

Lsteeps
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Yeti Master'

Post by Lsteeps » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 pm

If you use the search function there is a whole thread on this subject.

Tiger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tiger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 pm

CleverGirl wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm
Title says it all really,

Been offered a place that’s an hours drive away. Now I used to live in London, so a hour or two commute by public transport is the norm, but people I have mentioned it too seem to think this is hideously far and too long.

I live in the North West and have been waiting a few months for closer establishments but they are full.
I've applied for all over. I'd just move house. If you don't wanna do that, I'd say an hour drive, but it's what's right for you.
:slbg: RAD 2nd Sept
:slyay: RAD results 4th Sept
Now waiting... :slwin:

Vetting form :sltgn: 6th Oct
Submitted 15th Oct :slred:

:slyay: on the vetting train :slcl:

CleverGirl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by CleverGirl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Lsteeps wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 pm
If you use the search function there is a whole thread on this subject.
Yeah I thought of that after I’d posted

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Their are lots of vacancys all over north west.
Just be patient

Lsteeps
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Yeti Master'

Post by Lsteeps » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:10 pm

No worries clevergirl. I remember it being a recent thread that had quite a few responses for you to read through. Saves waiting for replies but I'm answer to your question, my commute will be anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes traffic dependant. :wink:

CleverGirl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by CleverGirl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 pm

SgtBush wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm
Their are lots of vacancys all over north west.
Just be patient
This is a north west one. Just further than the others. To be honest Im fine with an hour, it was just other people’s reactions that made me question my thinking. But where I live most people work in the three main employers that are on the doorstep and have lived in a small town their whole lives so leaving the county is probably frightening to them lol. :slro:

CleverGirl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by CleverGirl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Lsteeps wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:10 pm
No worries clevergirl. I remember it being a recent thread that had quite a few responses for you to read through. Saves waiting for replies but I'm answer to your question, my commute will be anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes traffic dependant. :wink:
I saw it after I had posted and then at the bottom it shows similar posts. Doh! :slred:

Quickthinker
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Quickthinker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Think how youd feel a shift starting at 0730-9pm then back at work for 0730. Now with your 2 hour comute your leaving your house at 0630 and getting back at 2230, that means your up at 0530 and not getting sleep till 2330. Thus leaving 6 hours rest between shifts, also how would you be to your collegues when your tierd will you be able to make rational decisions keep calm under pressure especially if your on till 1800 hours how will you feel at feed times association ect. Remembering prisoners pick up on every weakness ;)

Beckett

Post by Beckett » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 pm

An hours commute is not unusual in my experience

CleverGirl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by CleverGirl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Quickthinker wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm
Think how youd feel a shift starting at 0730-9pm then back at work for 0730. Now with your 2 hour comute your leaving your house at 0630 and getting back at 2230, that means your up at 0530 and not getting sleep till 2330. Thus leaving 6 hours rest between shifts, also how would you be to your collegues when your tierd will you be able to make rational decisions keep calm under pressure especially if your on till 1800 hours how will you feel at feed times association ect. Remembering prisoners pick up on every weakness ;)
Admittedly in my previous job I only worked a 12 hour shift pattern which then turned to a mix of earlies, Mids and lates but then commuted 90mins. For me to commute under 45/50 mins that only leaves one establishment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic