Applying over 40

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

riflegreen74
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Applying over 40

Post by riflegreen74 »

Hello all.
This is my first post, so I apologise if a similar question has been asked. First off I'm still serving in the army. I have already served 22 yrs and currently in a 2 yr extension. My last 4 yrs so far are at MCTC in Colchester. I have noticed a few negative "don't join"! Posts on here however this is a career move I have considered for many years. The pay and pension is not a concern as I will have a full pension when I leave the army. My questions are firstly, what are the prospects of someone my age (40) applying? Also I am happy with the basic outline of recruitment but can I apply in anticipation of vacancies. The reason I ask is if I were to be successful it would make the transition from one job to another that bit easier. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. P
Think about how stupid the average person is..... Then realise that half of em' are stupider than that :slnuts:
anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Re: Applying over 40

Post by anewstart »

I can't answer any of your specific questions but I'm mid 40's from Civvy Street and recently passed my RAD so recruitment does appear to be possible for us 'oldies'.

Good luck with more illuminating answers.
Wyer
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Wyer »

can I apply in anticipation of vacancies No, you can only apply when the recruitment process is open. That's both HMPS and private.

what are the prospects of someone my age (40) applying The same as someone who is 21 applying. HMPS or private do not discriminate against age, its against the law.
riflegreen74
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by riflegreen74 »

Wyer wrote: can I apply in anticipation of vacancies No, you can only apply when the recruitment process is open. That's both HMPS and private.

what are the prospects of someone my age (40) applying The same as someone who is 21 applying. HMPS or private do not discriminate against age, its against the law.

Thanks for replying. That confirms what I thought about submitting an application. I have set up the job notification alerts for my preferred area so waiting out.
Think about how stupid the average person is..... Then realise that half of em' are stupider than that :slnuts:
Debzy39
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Debzy39 »

I,m nearly 53 and have recently passed my rad day and am waiting for a start date, so over 40 definately not a problem!
riflegreen74
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by riflegreen74 »

Ahh well , certainly not ready for the scrapheap yet!! Can I ask how long it took between submitting an application and being invited to attend RAD?
anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by anewstart »

I submitted my application on a Thursday, got an email inviting me to do the online tests on the Monday, took the tests Tuesday morning and received email with RAD invite Wednesday afternoon. Selected RAD 2 weeks away (to give me a little fitness training time), attended RAD (morning session) and received pass email following afternoon (fastest RAD notification I've heard of).

That was over 2 weeks ago and now I'm waiting for training date, assuming positive CRB & references check. I'm in South Central area, allegedly different areas can be processed faster than others, depending on staffing requirements.

I've gleaned from this forum that my training is likely to start October / November time (seems a long time away).

Anyway, good luck.
thekeeperofcrows
Official Member
Official Member

Post by thekeeperofcrows »

I would say go for it, I served my full time in the green as well, Smashed the RAD day, now a NEPO on the landings

Waiting for the dinosaurs to start saying " I wouldn't do the job for your wage" but got the forces pension, and actually on more than some of em, and have a few increments to go before hitting top whack.

Plenty of Ex-Forces in the job, sadly some rockapes so the banter and crack is there.

PM me if you have any questions.

Oh my first post as well :)
riflegreen74
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by riflegreen74 »

Thanks for the support. What's the general feeling about ex forces joining, as some people think we're a bunch of knuckle draggers? Here at MCTC we're inspected the same as any other prison (even though technically we aren't a prison). We also attend the same courses as the prison service. Just recently one of the lads here submitted an application and took the online test. As far as he thought, he'd done well and answered the questions with ease only to be told he was unsuccessful in other parts of his application. This is a bloke that is an assessor on the current assessment week of our latest probationer course. And has also worked in Afghanistan dealing with Taliban prisoners in an overcrowded facility for up to 18 hour shifts per day as well as normal day to day duties here in the UK.
Is there certain key words / phrases they look for in the application?
Wyer
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Wyer »

thekeeperofcrows wrote:have a few increments to go before hitting top whack.

Oh my first post as well :)
Don't be so sure on that, all civil servant increments are being scrapped next year so not sure where you stand on what your wage will be.
Knowing the prison service pretty well, I would assume that a 'new' contract will come out next year....
anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by anewstart »

Riflegreen74: You ask what the general attitude to ex-military is & whilst I'm not a serving officer yet so can't comment on inside I can say that I have the 'American' attitude and upon learning of someones military or police service, past or present, I will offer them my hand and thank them for their service.

Both do underpaid, grim jobs and are generally undervalued by the public and although I do get some funny looks sometimes I figure hopefully at least half feel appreciated.
Debzy39
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Debzy39 »

Had my rad 3rd July and had the phone call yesterday!
anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by anewstart »

Glad to hear that but 2 months, hope I don't have to wait that long!

When are you going to training?
riflegreen74
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by riflegreen74 »

anewstart wrote:Riflegreen74: You ask what the general attitude to ex-military is & whilst I'm not a serving officer yet so can't comment on inside I can say that I have the 'American' attitude and upon learning of someones military or police service, past or present, I will offer them my hand and thank them for their service.

Both do underpaid, grim jobs and are generally undervalued by the public and although I do get some funny looks sometimes I figure hopefully at least half feel appreciated.
It's one of those jobs I suppose that most people make their mind by what they see on TV. Be it Police, HMPS, military etc. (never seen any British military drama get it right yet) after 18 years in an infantry regiment and 4 years here.
thekeeperofcrows
Official Member
Official Member

Post by thekeeperofcrows »

Not had any negative comments about being ex-forces either from staff or the clientele ( they do find out so don't lie about anything to them, just never tell the full truth if that makes sense)

As for the RAD I was myself for the full day, had a laugh, but was professional at the right times. Only top tip I can give on the role plays is listen to what is being said as this is the info for your next question.

good use of body language, open posture, listen, wait for a good time to speak, think that is about it. If HMP want you your laughing, well that is the feeling I got on my selection day, myself and mate (ex forces as well) smashed it with flying colours.

As mentioned PM me if you have questions as big brother makes me paranoid.