A few questions about recruitment

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

markcoupeuk

A few questions about recruitment

Post by markcoupeuk » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi guys - I posted this in the applications section but so far no joy so I thought I would post here instead!
I see that a few prisons are currently recruiting in the London area and I am seriously thinking of applying.
I am 33 and looking for a career change, will most recruits be younger than me or is 33 a fairly average age to apply?
I have a few CCJ's and have had a bad few years financially, im not bankrupt though. I failed financial vetting for the police force a couple of years ago, will I have to go through anything similar for the prison service?
My plan is to relocate to London (i currently live in stoke) but the first year or so I would probably rent a room in somewhere like Luton or Watford and travel in rather than pay high rents in London. Is this possible, or do you have to be based closer to the prison you work at?
Thanks for the help in advance!

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: A few questions about recruitment

Post by kristorf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:35 pm

I can't answer for the vetting mate but on the accomodation you have to remember that regardless of your place of residence
you have a duty to be at the Prison gate at the start of your shift, it's your responsibility.

Take into account how you are going to get into London, season tickets cost a fortune and driving from Luton down is one huge
traffic jam.

Also, depending in which prison you work you may not finish until 22:00 but might need to be back at work at 06:00 the next day,
leaving not a lot of time between.

likely_candidate
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by likely_candidate » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi, I recently got invited to the RAD in Holloway, and I'm a bit nervous about what to expect. I've heard rumours that the fitness test is hard and the role plays are as well, has anyone been through their RAD recently who can give me some advice??

Manamana
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Manamana » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 pm

I've been in the job a few months and there were two guys on my course at college who lived 'up North' but worked in London jails. Getting digs and going home when shifts allow. I'm still in touch and they are enjoying it. I think they were planning on transferring to jails near home. But this isn't an easy option.

Templar1992
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Templar1992 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Wandsworth have vacancies - fitness test is a piece of piss.........even a little fat bird like me can pass it!!

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:25 pm

@markcoupe

firstly i hope thats not your real name, if it is change it, stuff said on here can come back and bite you in the bum!
secondly let me qualify what i say by saying that i enjoy my job, and i enjoy being a prison officer. however i dont feel the job is worth that sort of commitment, notice i said job, not career. the wages in london might sound nice but you have to remember just how expensive London and the surround area's are. £500 would only get you a crap room in london, and i know luton, its not what i would call cheap, not unless you live in the crap/crime areas. the shifts are long, the commute will kill you. the job is also one of those things you wont know if its for you till you do it. and if its not for you, which there is a good chance it isn't thats one hell of a commitment you have made moving and all. and frankly like i said for the money and prospects they now offer its just not worth it, there is a reason London is recruiting and nowhere else is, no one can afford to stay in the job very long on the wages they offer, which is what they want. if you want to be a prison officer my advice is to wait till a nick near you starts to recruit again, you can always transfer to london if that is your ultimate goal.

@likley_candidate the fitness is easy unless your 20 stone and smoking 20 a day. the rads are a little bit more tricky as its not in your normal job interview but the truth is if you have the communication skills to do the job, you should be fine. just relax, its not the army, most of it just making sure you have the basics, basic maths and english, basic fitness etc.

likely_candidate
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by likely_candidate » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 pm

can you tell me what the fitness test is? i've heard someone mention pull ups?? i cant do them to save my life ha dont get me wrong im not unfit, i can do sit ups and press ups.... just not pull ups!! any info would be appreciated :)

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 pm

No sit-ups, pull-ups or push-ups necessary for fitness test! :slwoot:

Bleep test to level 5.4, a push test, a pull test, a grip test, an obstacle run (should be done in under 34 seconds) and holding a 7/8kg riot shield at a 45 degree angle for 1 minute. It's really not that hard. Even I can do it and I'm really not fit! :slin:

Also, don't forget this test has to be taken annually to stay in the job!!! So, even when you're 60 odd, you'll be required to pass it............ :slwh:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

markcoupeuk

Post by markcoupeuk » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks for the info guys. Thinking about it you are probably right that its not really do-able for me, I think I will just hold on hopefully for some prisons to recruit nearer to me. Thanks again.

likely_candidate
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by likely_candidate » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:46 pm

can u tell me what the push and pull test entail?

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:01 pm

It's just sitting at a machine that has resistance, and you have to push/pull about 4 times and it tests what your strength is. It's really very easy! :slwin:

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/Joi ... stest.aspx

The link explains it a bit better and even has a photo!
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

likely_candidate
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by likely_candidate » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic