how to apply for a Prison Officer job

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

sylwia

Re: how to apply for a Prison Officer job

Post by sylwia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi
I know that they are looking for female Prison Officers but I heard that working in the female one is more difficult than the male one so I would rather go for the male first.

Anyway I decided to apply for OSG first as I would like to get this job as soon as possible so I am going to sent my application wherever they will be recruiting OSG. Happy to relocate. I heard that you can sent as many application for OSG as you want whereas for Prison Officer you can sent only one. Is that true?

What are the working hours of OSG ? Do they vary from Prison Officer working hours?
Also question about the uniform. Can women wear skirt or only trousers are allowed?

Janissary
Banned Member

Post by Janissary » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:27 pm

sylwia wrote:Hi
I know that they are looking for female Prison Officers but I heard that working in the female one is more difficult than the male one so I would rather go for the male first.

Anyway I decided to apply for OSG first as I would like to get this job as soon as possible so I am going to sent my application wherever they will be recruiting OSG. Happy to relocate. I heard that you can sent as many application for OSG as you want whereas for Prison Officer you can sent only one. Is that true?

What are the working hours of OSG ? Do they vary from Prison Officer working hours?
Also question about the uniform. Can women wear skirt or only trousers are allowed?

It's trousers only uniform. Could be cargo trousers depending on your exact job, though much more likely to be the poor quality black 'school uniform' type trousers.

OSG hours are very similar to Prison Officer hours, 39 hour week (poss 37 now) spread out on a 24 hour shift pattern. When you work nights it should be 7 nights in a row followed by a week off.

OSG vacancies generally pop up quite often, but you can apply for Officer while also applying for OSG. Don't know if you can apply for multiple OSG vacancies but I can't see that there's a specific barrier to it.

sylwia

Post by sylwia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Glad there are quite often OSG vacancies going.
I think I will wait with applying for Prison Officer position until I get a basic knowledge of what is like to work in the Prison. Maybe I won't like it so better start off with OSG and if I like it then I will apply for Prison Officer as there is no such a rush.
I assume that prisons are lokated outside the town so I guess own transport is necessary? What about parking? Is it free of charge?

sylwia

Post by sylwia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:54 pm

What about trainings? I guess I will have one when I will be employed but will there be any more trainings available as I really would like to get a good knowledge about the profession and like improving myself, if so will they be free of charge?

likely_candidate
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by likely_candidate » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Hello :) I have recently completed my POST, and received an email inviting me to chose a date for me to attend the RAD. However when I click on the link to book an appointment it says there are no slots available. I was just wondering whether slots would become available, or whether I would have to re-do the POST again?

sswf224
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Yeti Master'

Post by sswf224 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi - here is the vacancies page - https://www21.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_hmps03.asp?newms=up

You can set up email alerts to let you know when a suitable job in your area comes up

likely_candidate
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by likely_candidate » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:02 pm

just passed my RAD, and waiting for all the vetting to be completed, but I've got a few questions about the training.... if my training is away from home will I have to find somewhere to live? and do we get paid during training.... I know this is a bit premature as I dont know if I'll pass the vetting stage, but I just want to be prepared.... any advice about what happens with training and living arrangements etc would be much appreciated :)

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 pm

likely_candidate wrote:just passed my RAD, and waiting for all the vetting to be completed, but I've got a few questions about the training.... if my training is away from home will I have to find somewhere to live? and do we get paid during training.... I know this is a bit premature as I dont know if I'll pass the vetting stage, but I just want to be prepared.... any advice about what happens with training and living arrangements etc would be much appreciated :)

you will spend Monday-friday at the training college (most likley newbold revel) they will house you in on-site accommodation Sunday-Thursday (Sunday being optional). it is normally 8am-5pm with an hours break for lunch. Monday its a 10am start to allow for people traveling up and on Friday you finish at lunch time. unless they have changed it in the last 2 years. you will be paid from day one week one of your 8 week training (first week at your prison) at the same level of pay as you will get during your probation year. during your first week at the prison they will supply you with what you need for newbold and will have more up-to-date information about what it all involves. breakfast,lunch and dinner is provided for free at newbold, you are welcome to go into town if you fancy some fish and chips or pub grub. the food and accommodation is not deducted from your wages. you can also claim expenses for traveling from your home to newbold on the monday and friday.

likely_candidate
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by likely_candidate » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:34 pm

thats a great help thank you. I've heard weeks 1 and 8 you do work place training... I have applied to Feltham, however I live a good 3 hours from there... would housing b provided then, or would I have to stay in a hotel/ b&b? I know these questions might sound stupid... I just want this so much and want to be prepared :)

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:23 pm

You will be required to fend for yourself and sort out your own accommodation, as this would be the prison you will be working from every day.

If you have to travel that far every day, I'd suggest you might just have to move a bit closer! :slbli:

If you get accepted, your contract will come with all the information you will need - so, no point worrying about it yet. :slwin:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

Templar1992
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Templar1992 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Downview attracts London weighting of £3100 per annum whereas Send doesn't.

Send has 50% Lifers and IPPs whereas Downview doesn't.

Both are crying out for decent female staff and both are quite welcoming.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:01 pm

have a look at this zippy snappy page e.g You must be 18 and will usually need to have lived in the UK for 3 years before applying.

You'll need to take the Prison Officer Selection Test (POST), which checks your maths, reading and writing skills.
  • If you pass, you'll attend an assessment day, where you'll:
  • take part in role plays to see if you have the right personal qualities for the job
  • complete a number of fitness tests
  • have a medical
  • You'll need:
  • excellent teamworking skills
  • the ability to exercise authority with prisoners who are abusive and possibly violent
  • the skills to cope with the pressures of a secure environment
  • to apply rules and discipline
Your work will depend on the type of prison or remand centre you're working in, but it will be a combination of supervising inmates and supporting their welfare and rehabilitation.
  • You could be:
  • keeping inmates secure
  • carrying out security checks and searches
  • supervising prisoners and maintaining order – this can involve using authorised physical control and restraint
  • preparing inmates for release through rehabilitation programmes
  • supporting vulnerable prisoners
  • promoting anti-bullying and suicide prevention policies
  • helping inmates understand the impact of their crimes
  • writing reports on prisoners
:slhehe: :slty: :slby: more here

gaboo
Official Member
Official Member

Post by gaboo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm

falkor wrote:usually need to have lived in the UK for 3 years before applying.
Just to touch on this slightly, I spent 7 month living in Australia last year (April 2015 - October 2015), although am a British national and lived in England my whole life excluding this.

I was still able to apply and have been successful (start POELT in January), however I did have to contact the AFP (Australian Federal Police) and get a letter from them stating that I hadnt been in any trouble with them whilst over there, which i then sent to SS who were more than happy with it.

I believe as long as you can provide this proof / check then you should be OK having lived abroad in the past 3 years
If not us, who? If not now, when?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic