Members only
:slnote: TEN falkor diplomas up for grabs in October :slhe:
this is all conducted on mChat next Month (October) , you will answer 5 subject focused questions, 1 minute time limit!
if you can't answer a question (1 minute goes by and no answer) then the assessment is over
if you pass , your name is included on the site's 2018 HALL OF FAME page , along with your diploma icon
This session is really to do with highlighting of issues, discussion, role promotion and site participation!

Magnum Boots

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

admiral
Registered Member
Registered Member

Magnum Boots

Post by admiral » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Evening all now the proud owner of Magnum Panther 8.0 boots being a very new newbie - not started yet but I start trainig induction week at Buckley on 15 November, am I a bit eager to purchase or is it a wise move? Looking at the forum now after said purchase it seems the magnum have a bit of a bad press. What do you old sweats think? Answers need not be on a postcard on this occasion :slm:

Burnlee
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Magnum Boots

Post by Burnlee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:39 am

I have only just pruchased a pair of Magnums, thought I would give them a whizz. Neer had them before as always used Altbergs, but a little pricey considering the job we do. For the past 2 years I have had a pair of Bates' which are very good and lasted till now, still got plenty of wear in them just not much tread.

spike
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by spike » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:05 pm

you cant go wrong with magnums,great for abseiling off the 5s landing

Prae
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Prae » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:00 pm

I've always had Magnums for about the last 10 years but the last 2 pairs I've had have ripped in the same place within a year, just on the inside of the right boot at the join with the sole. Not ideal when you're paying 80 quid a pair!

I suspect they're cutting corners nowadays to increase the profits on the boots. I won't be buying another pair.

I'm now wearing Goliath boots which are great quality and comfy as slippers.

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:41 am

I'm now wearing Goliath boots which are great quality and comfy as slippers.

May I ask where you bought yours? Which type are they & how much? Sorry for all the questions, but will be starting soon & would like to have my shoe/boot situation sorted by then! I do have a pair of DM's but I can't wear them every day as they are a bit hard on my feet. My current job ensures that I'm constantly on my feet for sometimes 12 hours a day & for purely comfort reasons, I wear trainers. Therefore, I am used to very comfy shoes & to find some comfy boots would be brilliant! I know that I can't (and certainly wouldn't dream of it anyway) wear trainers as part of my new HMP uniform.

Many thanks! :slby:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

phillio_jd
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Shade'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by phillio_jd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am

I got a pair of magnum patrol CEN boots for £35 on ebay, that includes postage. They are really comfy, not what i was expecting from a pair of boots.
07/10 - THE CALL - Starting October
05/10 - Update to Health email received and posted back
02/10 - Completed CRB form received/previous employer contacted
01/10 - Email to say im on an 18 month waiting list
12/09 - Passed RAD

admiral
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by admiral » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:07 am

Hi purplepig20

Got my Magnum 8.0 Panthers from Army and Navy store they cost £60

natf
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by natf » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:35 pm

It seems that most people are choosing magnums, but are you allowed to wear any type of boot you want(within reason of course). I personally don't get on with magnums, but I will wear them if it's the only option!

Carbon
Elite Member
Elite Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Carbon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:40 pm

I see on the prison intranet they are now doing a shoe/boot survey.

Guess this is for the replacement of the boot allowance.

Oldboy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Oldboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:51 pm

i priced some magnum stealths up for about 70 quid, i saw them in a hi-tec store at our local shoppping outlet they also said if you show them proof your an officer they will give you 10% off.
"Applied - feb 2008
Rad - may 2008
Fitness - june 2008
Start newbold - 27th september 2010
Laugh and the whole world laughs with you......Weep, and you weep alone!"

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Oldboy wrote:i priced some magnum stealths up for about 70 quid, i saw them in a hi-tec store at our local shoppping outlet they also said if you show them proof your an officer they will give you 10% off.
Maybe I'll show them my contract............. I wonder would that be enough proof as we don't get ID until we actually start................ :slwh: :sltgn:

From what I know, Magnums make your feet sweat a lot, hence why I'm interested in another brand Like the Goliath ones Prae was on about. Not really digging the whole stinky feet thing!! :slwin:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

Prae
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Prae » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Mine are the Goliath Tactical boots and I got them from Gladstoneboots.com.

They were £39.99 but I don't see them in their catalogue anymore.

Here's a link to the manufacturers site: http://www.goliathboots.com/index.php?p=76

Really good boots with loads of ventilation.

smcukle1990
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Cloistered Cleric'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by smcukle1990 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 am

Ive got an old set of my RAF issue boots (from when i was a cadet) at home which you can pick up dirt cheap and once youve worn them in a bit they are really comfy but as mine have had it now after years of running in fields through knee high mudm water and general c*** i need a new set and am looking into a set of magnums however after reading this i may look into a set of goliaths, many thanks all :)_
8:3:10 - RAD day pass
8:3:10 - 8:7:10 - wait for university to pull finger out of orifice for reference
15:7:10 - Given start date
4:10:10 - Start Date
11:10:10 - Newbold

cahill

Post by cahill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 pm

http://www.getthelabel.com/fcp/product/ ... /-/11/3932

these are good boots, last a lot longer than magums

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:47 pm

I don't like buying shoes online as I find that I'm a different size with different brands. I actually need to try them on physically in a shop first. Does anyone know of a good store in the London area (or even up as far north as Luton) to have a look in?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic