Hints and tips for a newbie in the HMP world.

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Hints and tips for a newbie in the HMP world.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Let them complain! :slst:

As long as your actions and statements are justifiable, then you are completely beyond reproach. :slin:

So what if a group of prisoners complain about you? If you document all of your interactions with them and you have done no wrong, then it would take a very stupid person to come unstuck.
Excuses are like backsides my dear friend...We've all got 'em....and they all STINK!!

Wanderer
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Snelly wrote:quick question as i am a newbie i was wondering how it stand with prisoners complaining about staff. I noticed all the forms are made available to the prisoners on my wing. Whats to stop a group filling out complaints against one officer especially in todays age with the whole race relations and bme prisoners?
This is the trouble lately and with the governors useing the phrase balance of probability, the probability is that the officer will be in the brown smelly stuff more frequently in the future!!
Where the best just isn't good enough anymore

sprog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 pm

I've had complaints made against me, mainly from the bme contingent, and none have stood for more than 5 minutes due to SOs and above knowing that would be completely out of character for me. If I'm bollocking someone or having a 'quiet word' I never swear at the prisoner, never lose my temper and always remain in control. Means that when they lose it, swear at me or accuse me of racism they don't have a leg to stand on. As long as you're in the right and are seen to be then you have nothing to fear. As mofo says as long as you document it you should be covered.

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks 'Sprog' and welcome to the site. :slbg:
Excuses are like backsides my dear friend...We've all got 'em....and they all STINK!!

sprog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:43 pm

You're welcome mofo, I'm not a newcomer to the site just a returner who couldn't get his password right and decided it would be a good time to choose a better username :slin: .

Ping
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 pm

BADASSMOFO wrote:Let them complain!

As long as your actions and statements are justifiable, then you are completely beyond reproach.
Hmmm, where to start with this one? First off, yes let them complain. It's their right to do so. But you should know the rules, apply them fairly and not be lazy. Try to document something if it's an incident of concern. Although, things do pop up from nowhere days later for all of us. Nobody is expected to be perfect. But I would urge you all to be cautious in your jobs.

The guy quoted below is using his own brand of 'Jailcraft' and he's justifying it with his senior officers weak impressions of him. But he's never been taught to verbally reprimand a prisoner or give them advice and guidance. No matter what he says. The S/O's are never going to admit that they knowingly have a 'loose cannon' on the team are they. Especially not someone who may be a racist, according to the complaints.

The system has that covered with written warnings under the IEP sheme. Does it not? We would all be better off if we worked to the rules they make for us. If it doesn't amount to a warning, then it shouldn't amount to a 'bollockin or a quiet word' which may cause someone less in control to 'lose it'. I'm not sure that they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it came up against someone vigorously investigating the numerous instances of racially related complaints against the same person.

It's a controlled environment and you should use the rules to control it. If your personalised brand of homegrown 'jailcraft' is getting you into lots of potential trouble then maybe you need to re-adjust your approach. Particularly with ethnic monority prisoners.
sprog wrote:I've had complaints made against me, mainly from the bme contingent, and none have stood for more than 5 minutes due to SOs and above knowing that would be completely out of character for me. If I'm bollocking someone or having a 'quiet word' I never swear at the prisoner, never lose my temper and always remain in control. Means that when they lose it, swear at me or accuse me of racism they don't have a leg to stand on. As long as you're in the right and are seen to be then you have nothing to fear. As mofo says as long as you document it you should be covered.
'Sprog' means new and inexperienced doesn't it? Do you really 'always remain in control' if you expect the cons retort to be losing it, swearing at you, or accusing you of racism? Don't forget that you've got colleagues to be thinking of while you're learning the landings. Not swearing at them or not losing your temper is a pre-requisite of good inter personal skills. It's not the be all and end all of good IPS. If you want them to do something and they won't comply, then robustly give them an order and do it loud enough so that all your charges can have the benefit of knowing that they will be placed in front of the governor for refusing it. Draw the line in the sand if you need to get respect that way. Others may try to gain it differently though.

Be careful of some of the tips being handed out on here. Some are deeper routed than others.
Keep calm and carry on.

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Sun May 01, 2011 11:32 am

The best way to do the job is your own way . You can only learn from your own mistakes.Im sure all of us are too soft or too hard as far as other peoples opinions are concerned.One thing that does concern me is the Idea of an officer that is doing the job correctly by challenging prisoners via IEP etc ,Standing out from a backdrop of lazy,staff that find it much easier to say yes to everything and turn a blind eye to what is going on.It is the the staff doing the job correctly staff that cons will complain about,. I have heard in some private jails that if enough cons complain about a staff member ,then that staff member is moved off the wing ,can anyone in the private sector conform if this is this true ? I do feel that the Governors are unclear about what they want from their uniformed staff.Staff feel they could be sacked for a confrontation so simply don't bother any more.Where would we be if the Police did the same?
Prison officers that do their job properly are rarely popular.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

Wanderer
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Sun May 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Anybody thats in any position of authority, if they are doing their job well WILL get complained about, its a sad fact of life and as an ex ops manager i always supported my staff 100% when complained about as 9 times out of 10 its because they were just too efficient!!!!
Where the best just isn't good enough anymore

sprog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sun May 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Ping wrote:
BADASSMOFO wrote:Let them complain!

As long as your actions and statements are justifiable, then you are completely beyond reproach.
Hmmm, where to start with this one? First off, yes let them complain. It's their right to do so. But you should know the rules, apply them fairly and not be lazy. Try to document something if it's an incident of concern. Although, things do pop up from nowhere days later for all of us. Nobody is expected to be perfect. But I would urge you all to be cautious in your jobs.

The guy quoted below is using his own brand of 'Jailcraft' and he's justifying it with his senior officers weak impressions of him. But he's never been taught to verbally reprimand a prisoner or give them advice and guidance. No matter what he says. The S/O's are never going to admit that they knowingly have a 'loose cannon' on the team are they. Especially not someone who may be a racist, according to the complaints.

The system has that covered with written warnings under the IEP sheme. Does it not? We would all be better off if we worked to the rules they make for us. If it doesn't amount to a warning, then it shouldn't amount to a 'bollockin or a quiet word' which may cause someone less in control to 'lose it'. I'm not sure that they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it came up against someone vigorously investigating the numerous instances of racially related complaints against the same person.

It's a controlled environment and you should use the rules to control it. If your personalised brand of homegrown 'jailcraft' is getting you into lots of potential trouble then maybe you need to re-adjust your approach. Particularly with ethnic monority prisoners.
sprog wrote:I've had complaints made against me, mainly from the bme contingent, and none have stood for more than 5 minutes due to SOs and above knowing that would be completely out of character for me. If I'm bollocking someone or having a 'quiet word' I never swear at the prisoner, never lose my temper and always remain in control. Means that when they lose it, swear at me or accuse me of racism they don't have a leg to stand on. As long as you're in the right and are seen to be then you have nothing to fear. As mofo says as long as you document it you should be covered.
'Sprog' means new and inexperienced doesn't it? Do you really 'always remain in control' if you expect the cons retort to be losing it, swearing at you, or accusing you of racism? Don't forget that you've got colleagues to be thinking of while you're learning the landings. Not swearing at them or not losing your temper is a pre-requisite of good inter personal skills. It's not the be all and end all of good IPS. If you want them to do something and they won't comply, then robustly give them an order and do it loud enough so that all your charges can have the benefit of knowing that they will be placed in front of the governor for refusing it. Draw the line in the sand if you need to get respect that way. Others may try to gain it differently though.

Be careful of some of the tips being handed out on here. Some are deeper routed than others.
Wow, must be wonderful to read a few words on a forum and know exactly what I am like and how I work.

Oh wait, you don't know me do you? or how I conduct myself at work, or how 'weak' my SO's are, or how racist I am, or anything about me at all do you. As for the sprog username, it's exactly that - a username and nothing more, chosen as a joke and has no relation to my time in service. So please carry on making ill informed guesses as to my obviously racist attitudes and unworthy style of working. You've already made your mind up about me, and thanks to your posts here and in other threads I have made my mind up about the type of person you are too.

Ping
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon May 02, 2011 7:18 am

sprog wrote: Wow, must be wonderful to read a few words on a forum and know exactly what I am like and how I work.

Oh wait, you don't know me do you? or how I conduct myself at work, or how 'weak' my SO's are, or how racist I am, or anything about me at all do you. As for the sprog username, it's exactly that - a username and nothing more, chosen as a joke and has no relation to my time in service. So please carry on making ill informed guesses as to my obviously racist attitudes and unworthy style of working. You've already made your mind up about me, and thanks to your posts here and in other threads I have made my mind up about the type of person you are too.
I'm happy that you'll change now. Well done.
Keep calm and carry on.

LONGSERVICEWARRIOR
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 pm

dont make enemies , you will have them for a long time.

Ping
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:20 pm

LONGSERVICEWARRIOR wrote:dont make enemies , you will have them for a long time.
No you won't.
Keep calm and carry on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic