Hints and tips for a newbie in the HMP world.

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: Hints and tips for a newbie in the HMP world.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:57 pm

spike wrote:one thing runes
when you go into your education department make sure you know were your general alarms are and were your education officer is situated
An education officer ? what's that ?
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

timeswastingaway
Rookie Member

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 am

i can honestly say find a proper job the prison service is going to pot!

ladygarden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Elf'
Alignment: 'Ether'
Sacred: 'Mage'

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 am

The only advice/knowledge I can give some one new to the Prison Service is that our guests have all been in trouble with the police. Yes it's hard to believe they've been in trouble with the police. This may give you a clue to their very nature and that they might not always be truthful and might I add they can be untrustworthy.

Treat these hard done to guys and gals as you'd like to be treated yourself and remember they've all been fitted up by the police, you know those bad guys who roam our streets picking on the innocent.

No one told me this when I joined the "Modern Prison Service" back in 1973 because I've a letter from my Mum to say I'm not allowed to mix with people like that as they may get me into trouble.

Have as much fun as you can, don't take it seriously, and for god sake don't use "Banter" in todays service one mans banter is another ones access to some claim or another.

By reading this you may think of me as being synical, well your're right but one thing is for sure I love going to work. The service has given me a good standard of living, and great job satisfaction especially my time as an offendig behaviour programme facilitator.

Have Fun Now P-)
Lady Garden

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

ladygarden wrote:The only advice/knowledge I can give some one new to the Prison Service is that our guests have all been in trouble with the police. Yes it's hard to believe they've been in trouble with the police. This may give you a clue to their very nature and that they might not always be truthful and might I add they can be untrustworthy.

Treat these hard done to guys and gals as you'd like to be treated yourself and remember they've all been fitted up by the police, you know those bad guys who roam our streets picking on the innocent.

No one told me this when I joined the "Modern Prison Service" back in 1973 because I've a letter from my Mum to say I'm not allowed to mix with people like that as they may get me into trouble.

Have as much fun as you can, don't take it seriously, and for god sake don't use "Banter" in todays service one mans banter is another ones access to some claim or another.

By reading this you may think of me as being synical, well your're right but one thing is for sure I love going to work. The service has given me a good standard of living, and great job satisfaction especially my time as an offendig behaviour programme facilitator.

Have Fun Now P-)

So you 're saying have a laugh but don't have a laugh ? very confusing .

ladygarden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Elf'
Alignment: 'Ether'
Sacred: 'Mage'

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:11 pm

I don't think I was confusing at all. I said have fun and a laugh but don't use banter. Confused? Big difference. "Banter" if you use it as an excuse when you've inadvertantly offended a colleague you'll be hung drawn and quartered. Been there, done that and got the Tee Shirt to prove it.

Have fun now.
Lady Garden

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 pm

All I can say is to watch others do the job, as the recent report said, jail craft if indefinible and cannot be taught.

See how the older staff do the job, take in what you see, but, and I try to get this into new staff, don't try to copy them.

Be your own person and all you need will come out in its own time, its a harder job top master than you might be led to beleive.
All the classroom stuff if a grounding, but natural IPS and observation are a better foundation than hours of race relations and diversity.

Relax in yourself, start talking with the cons and you will find the job comes to you in the end.

Breakoff
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Priest'
Alignment: 'Shade'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am

All I can say when advising new staff on this forum is please realise that there is many an undercover journalist working on here and posting as someone new. Some of you once again have given too much away already, but just be aware in the future please, I may have to work with you one day, so what are you going to tell the bloke sat next to you in the pub once you've had a few beers? :slst: :slst: :slst:
The prison spotter and history geek"

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:10 am

Breakoff wrote:All I can say when advising new staff on this forum is please realise that there is many an undercover journalist working on here and posting as someone new. Some of you once again have given too much away already, but just be aware in the future please, I may have to work with you one day, so what are you going to tell the bloke sat next to you in the pub once you've had a few beers? :slst: :slst: :slst:

I dont know what the undercover Journalists are doing with all this information.I dont know what secrets they are gaining but they are certainly not using them for news items or TV programmes as they seem to know nothing about prisons in this country.Anyone can buy the " how to CD " or learn to pass a JSAC ,ANY jsac and gaine entry into the sevice.That has been the case for years.Its no secret.How many pepolple join,spen a while in and leave ,even at Governor level ? Its not area 51 we are working in.I am not sure what these amazing secrets are ,most cons are wiae to the game anyway and we dont exactly make it hard for them in jails these days anyway.Dont see the piont of the panic.

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Easylife wrote:
Breakoff wrote:All I can say when advising new staff on this forum is please realise that there is many an undercover journalist working on here and posting as someone new. Some of you once again have given too much away already, but just be aware in the future please, I may have to work with you one day, so what are you going to tell the bloke sat next to you in the pub once you've had a few beers? :slst: :slst: :slst:

I dont know what the undercover Journalists are doing with all this information.I dont know what secrets they are gaining but they are certainly not using them for news items or TV programmes as they seem to know nothing about prisons in this country.Anyone can buy the " how to CD " or learn to pass a JSAC ,ANY jsac and gaine entry into the sevice.That has been the case for years.Its no secret.How many pepolple join,spen a while in and leave ,even at Governor level ? Its not area 51 we are working in.I am not sure what these amazing secrets are ,most cons are wiae to the game anyway and we dont exactly make it hard for them in jails these days anyway.Dont see the piont of the panic.
Good Lord Easylife! Were you intoxicated when you made that post? :slto: :slto:

Or perhaps just a little past bedtime? :slsl: :slsl:

I'm pretty certain there are people on this site who are just attempting to gain information. Whether that be for a story they are writing, or something a wee bit more surreptitious as journalism. I myself have been PM'd by journalists on this site asking for information on the service.
Excuses are like backsides my dear friend...We've all got 'em....and they all STINK!!

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:57 pm

BADASSMOFO wrote:
Easylife wrote:

Good Lord Easylife! Were you intoxicated when you made that post? :slto: :slto:

Or perhaps just a little past bedtime? :slsl: :slsl:

I'm pretty certain there are people on this site who are just attempting to gain information. Whether that be for a story they are writing, or something a wee bit more surreptitious as journalism. I myself have benn PM'd by journalists on this site asking for information on the service.

The journalist have obviously targeted you as an extemely important member of the forum .They have left me alone boo hoo. Be careful mate they might be sitting outside your house right now !

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Though I obviously see myself as a bit of a 'member' (important or otherwise). Several Juornos have indeed PM'd not only me, but numerous others. Possibly only those they feel would be able to communicate with them on any credible level?

I'd better get the kettle on, I think I hear them coming up the drive!
Excuses are like backsides my dear friend...We've all got 'em....and they all STINK!!

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:25 pm

BADASSMOFO wrote:Though I obviously see myself as a bit of a 'member' (important or otherwise). Several Juornos have indeed PM'd not only me, but numerous others. Possibly only those they feel would be able to communicate with them on any credible level?

I'd better get the kettle on, I think I hear them coming up the drive!

No its a fair point mate ,you have to be careful .Im saying that the ignorance of the media is still there to be seen and they will always just make it up anyway regardless.
It is Groundhog day for many of us stuck in CAT Bs all day but there are some serious national issues out there its true.The lower the wage the more likely it is to 'top' it up elsewhere.

BADASSMOFO
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Quite correct.

just a dream

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 am

How to cultivate your refined side?

Reading is the basical thing to cultivate your refined side.
Reding more books and lean to think more. You could do some exercises such as Yoga.

Snelly
Rookie Member

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:56 am

quick question as i am a newbie i was wondering how it stand with prisoners complaining about staff. I noticed all the forms are made available to the prisoners on my wing. Whats to stop a group filling out complaints against one officer especially in todays age with the whole race relations and bme prisoners?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic