The fitness test?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Cassius
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: The fitness test?

Post by Cassius » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi,

On our RAD fitness assessment the instructor said that sport played a big part of some prisons in particular with prison officers. Is this the case across the board? He mentioned staff can use the facilities (such as the gym) during lunch etc.

Do HMP have any local/national sports team? I've met a few different shapes and sizes of prison officer and it seems good that fitness is built into the job. As the instructor said the fitness test will not only make sure your fit for the job, but also yor back up has some basic level of fitness...

Basic
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Basic » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Some regulars use the gym at lunchtime. You have to give up your break to do so. My opinion is that it would be nice if they paid you to use the gym. Seeing as it's your own time that you're giving up and it benefits the service.

I disagree with those that go to the gym on a 13 hour shift. Breaks are for breaks. Does anyone disagree with that statement and it's implications?

There's a basic fitness test that my grandma could pass. Basicly that's true, as a 60 year old can pass it as required. How fit do you need to be?.. Fit enough to work a 13 hour shift without a break might be the answer. :slwott:

Chris2382
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Chris2382 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:28 am

Most of the issues people have with the fitness test are in their heads. It's doubt that holds you back. I'm 17st and 5"11 which sounds worse than it is as I've been a prop on the front row of my local rugby team for years, so consider myself reasonably fit But I'm not the quickest of people and obviously turning on a sixpence isn't my forté!

prep by running at least a mile 3 times a week and as you get better, try to break it up into sprints and jogs, you'll find it helps you get fitter quicker. And on the day the mix of adrenaline and excitement will help push you on. I had a couple of special constables in my RAD group that kept on about how they'd breezed the test weeks earlier as part of their annual fitness assessment.. So instantly my mindset was to beat them or at least keep up. I set the 4th quickest time out of the whole morning RAD group for the obstacle sprint and come second in the bleep test behind a lovely bloke that was 52 and a smoker!

Please don't let the idea of the event beat you before you even get there!! Train, prep and stay positive and positive things will happen! Best and only advice I can give for all RAD aspects really.
If there's always biscuits in the biscuit tin, then where's the fun in biscuits? :slwott:

Waaarrrggghhh
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Doomguard'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by Waaarrrggghhh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi all, got my RAD on 11th February

I'm finding it quite difficult to hold a 6kg weight up for 60 seconds.

Barely managed to hold up a 5kg bag of rice for 60 seconds.

Seems to be a real weak point for me. I am also quite a skinny guy but tall.

Stobie93
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Archer'

Post by Stobie93 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Ok bud here's what's going to happen,

You're going to do your warm up, then probably your push and pull on a machine you get to use both hands to push and pull 30kg minimum and it isn't that hard..

You'll do a grip test again not a high score required basically squeeze a soft ball or tennis ball you will be tested on both hands.

You then may do your bleep test level 5.4 is the requirement once you hit it you'll be stopped when you hit the mark. If you can run a mile a few times a week will set you up, and don't run as fast as you can from the off it's not a sprint so pace yourself.

Lastly you will be required to hold a riot shield for 60 seconds again you will use both arms not one and your arms aren't going to be extended to full length you'll have a bend in your arms.

The best thing you can bring with you is determination and a positive mental attitude don't give it your best give it your all if you mess up don't stop keep going!!

Stobie.
I believe in Per Sec (personal security)
It's a good belief and never disappointed.

Waaarrrggghhh
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Doomguard'

Post by Waaarrrggghhh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Thing is I am freakishly weak and skinny :(

Just went to the gym today, could barely manage to do some of the required exercises.

Thinking I might try and reschedule my RAD to a later date because I am seriously weak. I am 6'1 and 55kg.

ENF1234
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by ENF1234 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:10 pm
Thing is I am freakishly weak and skinny :(

Just went to the gym today, could barely manage to do some of the required exercises.

Thinking I might try and reschedule my RAD to a later date because I am seriously weak. I am 6'1 and 55kg.
My recommendation would be to move it back, get eating loads of food and try working on your push ups and pull ups and practice. The requirements are do able but giving your physique as mentioned above you may need to work at it for more than a few weeks.

freak
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by freak » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Do your rad if you fail your fitness and pass everything else you will be recalled to retry fitness only. Can you do press ups if you can that's 55kg your pushing which will be a pass good luck
Y N W A

Stobie93
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Archer'

Post by Stobie93 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:43 pm

I have to agree with freak try it then if you pass brilliant if not you get another chance! But you'll have a benchmark and know what you need to improve.
I believe in Per Sec (personal security)
It's a good belief and never disappointed.

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:29 am

I did my RAD yesterday. 3 weeks ago I could hardly run 200m and was worried sic I'd fail the fitness.
Interval training helps a lot.

On the day you are required to pass the following:
Grip... over 24kg
Beep Test... 5.4
Agility... running around some cones within 34 secs
Shield test... holding a 6kg shield at about 45 degrees for 60 secs

There is no push pull test.

All the above is achievable with training at home with a positive attitude and determination

KobiU1962
Official Member
Official Member

Post by KobiU1962 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:10 am

Hi

Iv searched and searched and searched trying to find out roughly how many meters the agility test is. Iv read that it is 115 meters, 100 meters, under 100 meters and the knowledge base says 75 meters. I know its been said that its easy and you dont need to go that fast but iv only got short little legs and there is a bit of difference between 75 meters and 115 meters. Id like to get a bit of practise in so I can judge what speed I need to go :)

Saffa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Saffa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Kob,

The agility test is tricky to guage.

if I remember correctly, you run from one end to the next, about 12m, then back through a "gate" about 2/3rds of the way down then back through another gate 1/3 back up and then repeat a similar pattern.

The instructor will clearly explain this and guide you and bark orders at you so don't worry about that.

If you can do the beep test, the agility test will be no issue.
I too, have little legs and am not built for running at all, but I managed it. This was my biggest concern.

if you are worried, I would suggest doing some shuttle runs in your spare time, maybe lay out 4 cones at 5m apart then run to first cone and back, 2nd cone and back, 3rd cone and back and sprint through to the last cone.
You will knacker yourself but agility and speed and most of all, fitness will build really well doing something as simple as that.

BEWARE on your test, do not knock the cones over.

KobiU1962
Official Member
Official Member

Post by KobiU1962 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:51 am

Brilliant, thankyou for that. I have the bleep test set up outside, I do that and then I run backwards and forwards along the 15 meters pretending I'm going round cones at each end for 34 seconds and I can only manage 7 up and downs, I just don't know if I'm on target or not.

Iv been doing interval training and lamp post sprints so if I keep at that for a couple of weeks, I should be ready to do it then :D
RAD - 3/08
Mirrored results over - 7/08
Vetting info submitted - 8/08
OH Assist - 29/10
Status changed to higher checks/outstanding OH- 3/11
Status changed 'next stage of recruitment process' -13/11
The call - 16/11
POELT - 12/02/2018

Saffa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Saffa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:31 pm

From the sounds of things, you will be fine. Keep smashing it and you should find no issues. Remember to breathe :)

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi Kob,

I did the fitness test a few weeks back and worked it out to approx 75 meters

Imagine the diamond shape in a deck of cards. The top and bottom are the straight run around cones and either side is offset (viewed from above all the cones would make a zigzag shape)

From the start point you'd run to the first cone and around back to the start, around that and through the first double cones, then through the next double cones to to top cone. Around that and back the way you came to the bottom cone around that to finish on a line about 5 meters from the start point.

From what you've posted you'll do well at the fitness. Go enjoy the day 😉

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic