The fitness test?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

LocoLady
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: The fitness test?

Post by LocoLady » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pm

I did the test at Rochester - Rochester staff are brilliant and the PE instructor was fab. You'll be fine! :slbg:

bazcaz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by bazcaz » Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 pm

my advice to anyone who is doing the test, i have seen very unfit staff complete the test easly, its really not that hard.
just relax expect to get out of breath and do not panic the staff are not there looking to fail you but will help you all the way

remember FEAR FALSE EXPECTATIONS APPEARING REAL

GOOD LUCK!! :slcup:

If madness is all around and a cool head is needed make sure its yours!!

SAMANTHA
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by SAMANTHA » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:39 am

:slwott: I got my fitness test tomorrow, came around so fast! only got told at work last thurs, so had 4 days warning to run in! Hopefully should be okay though, fingers crossed!
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back in.
Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you later

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Easylife » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:51 pm

ssamm wrote:Hi, I am new here and my names Sam (female)

I have recently just applied for becoming a prison officer just before Christmas and things have moved a lot faster than i though. I applied, passed the first stage of application, all the way to the numerical test ( i didn't think it would come that fast) and as i passed that i found out i have a 10 hour day including my literacy test and my fitness test. This is all happening on the 19th jan 09. Very soon, so i only have three weeks (well less) to practise.

Bit of background on me - i have never done running, not exactly a hobby of mine, and i don't work out.

So what am i expecting from the fitness test, what does it involve. I'm guessing a bleep test? if so what level? Any more information to help me be prepared for the day would be great!!

Cheers

Sam
its nice to know the ranks of the prison service are being filled with people that never run and don,t work out .I,ll take great comfort in the fact that when im wrestling with a raging, massive bloke that does run and does work out ,that eventually ,at some time ,you,ll show up to help me,just hope you ve got the strenght to actually do something ,cos you,ll need it .Maybe you will go to a nice happy cat d and never encounter trouble.i hope so .
If you are sent to a cat A or B you may need to get fit and get real .Put it this way .Our current landing cleaner is waiting to go to Rampton in a few days ,think i,m joking .I wish i was .If the likes of this guy gets his hands on you what are you going to do ? never mind scraping through your fitness test ,worry about being fit and ready for the crap you will encounter once your in.sorry to spoil the party.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

Malc
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Malc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:54 am

I took the fitness test earlier this year. I'm 50 and found absolutely no problem with it at all, even without specific training. This is a minimum fitness test and my thoughts are that if you think you will struggle to complete it, perhaps you may need to consider the type of job you're going into as you'll be expected to pass this every year. In fact you shouldn't be aiming to scrape a pass, but be aiming to be as fit as you can to do the job.

Remember, others are relying on you and your personal fitness, as you will on theirs.

Malc
:)

IvorT
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by IvorT » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:45 am

What is the best way of communicating internally to officers?

Take a few seconds to vote in the poll below

http://www.prisonofficer.org.uk/viewtop ... f=3&t=4884

Thanks

IvorT

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:40 am

IvorT wrote:What is the best way of communicating internally to officers?

Take a few seconds to vote in the poll below

http://www.prisonofficer.org.uk/viewtop ... f=3&t=4884

Thanks

IvorT
What has that got to do with this?

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 pm

The actual test is only a bare minumin and is apparently based on the energy required to respond to an alarm bell, how the worked it out I have no idea and if you only just pass it what they expect you to do when you get there I have no idea

link23
Rookie Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by link23 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:47 am

hi sam

i was at rochester on th 15th jan, i lost alot of my fitness when i changed jobs, i found the fitness test quite easy, the running side <mulit stage> is level 5.6 which is walking/jogging for about 3min 40sec.

Everyone bar 1 person passed, so i think the pass rate is high!

well good luck anyway.

link23
Rookie Member

Post by link23 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:34 am

Guest wrote:does anyone on here done the test in rochester
yer i did mine on the 15th

MrMac
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by MrMac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:24 pm

The fitness test is a vechile to dismiss you with later in your service are you going to pass at 60+ years old , will the levels for a pass still be the same , do you actually know if you passed or failed rather than just being told you passed / failed
Only working to annoy the SMT

Black Knight
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Post by Black Knight » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Easylife wrote:
ssamm wrote:Hi, I am new here and my names Sam (female)

I have recently just applied for becoming a prison officer just before Christmas and things have moved a lot faster than i though. I applied, passed the first stage of application, all the way to the numerical test ( i didn't think it would come that fast) and as i passed that i found out i have a 10 hour day including my literacy test and my fitness test. This is all happening on the 19th jan 09. Very soon, so i only have three weeks (well less) to practise.

Bit of background on me - i have never done running, not exactly a hobby of mine, and i don't work out.

So what am i expecting from the fitness test, what does it involve. I'm guessing a bleep test? if so what level? Any more information to help me be prepared for the day would be great!!

Cheers

Sam
its nice to know the ranks of the prison service are being filled with people that never run and don,t work out .I,ll take great comfort in the fact that when im wrestling with a raging, massive bloke that does run and does work out ,that eventually ,at some time ,you,ll show up to help me,just hope you ve got the strenght to actually do something ,cos you,ll need it .Maybe you will go to a nice happy cat d and never encounter trouble.i hope so .
If you are sent to a cat A or B you may need to get fit and get real .Put it this way .Our current landing cleaner is waiting to go to Rampton in a few days ,think i,m joking .I wish i was .If the likes of this guy gets his hands on you what are you going to do ? never mind scraping through your fitness test ,worry about being fit and ready for the crap you will encounter once your in.sorry to spoil the party.
Well Easylife
Ive just come out of a CAt A, and worked at your establishment as well and I think you know as well as me that, doing a fitness test or working out so you have a great looking body, and feel fit is not going to help you when your facing a raging 10 stone animal whos been fighting on the streets all his life. This guy, will bite kick and use things to hurt you, that normal people wouldnt even think about.
Sam, Just do the Fitness Test because you have to, and do the best you can, your Verbal skills are more important. Trust me it doesnt matter if your a grade 5 Black Belt in anything, You wont have time to react, when it happens,
The skill is risk assessing all the time, and knowing when to lock that door, and when not to open it, and knowing your prisoner. If your risk is high, dont unlock, or make sure there are plenty of staff around.

And your bang on the nail mr mac, Its a tool to get rid

Good luck
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

admiral
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by admiral » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:13 pm

The fitness test is a breeze really. As long as you are fit generally you will crack it. I know people who are I would say are clinically unfit and they pass their annual fitness

Dont worry you will be fine

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Two things that always confuddles me about the fitness test are the bleep test and timed 'agility' test.

If we don't (officially) run to alarm bells why are these included? :slhmm:

Basic
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Basic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:24 am

kristorf wrote:Two things that always confuddles me about the fitness test are the bleep test and timed 'agility' test.

If we don't (officially) run to alarm bells why are these included? :slhmm:
That's a tough question Kristorf. I'll take a shot at answering it though. :slbg:

Unoffically, it happens. So, they officially recognise that by making us do it in the fitness test. Then, when you have an accident running to an alarm, they can use the official line of not running in their denial claim. How's that for an answer folks? :slbg:

PS. It also weeds out the knackers that couldn't run a bath. :slre:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic