to some new officers

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

to some new officers

Post by old sweat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Looking at many of the questions by new/would be officers on this forum, quite a few are about 'kit/uniform'. I've said it before & I'll say it again (over 20 yrs in the job)
Don't run before you can walk!!!
footware- safety shoes or boots ( protective toe caps are a good idea)- the make is irrelevent, as long as they are comfy to wear( you could be wearing them for over 12 hrs
belts- you should be issued with them, if not then get a 50mm 3 point locking belt -try niton999/gladstone boots
pouches- a pen pouch would be useful ( see above ) as for the rest, you should be issued with radio/cuff pouch when required.In time you could buy your own,but wait at least a year, the worst thing you can do is join the job and turn up looking like 'robo screw' -what a wally-
under armour /coolmax t shirts- whats wrong with a white t shirt type vest from M&S they only cost £10 for 3 good value- who is going to see them!
slash proof uniform gloves- a good idea for 'hands on' or searching, police wear them most of the time when they know they are getting hands on or searching, get a pair, they are a good idea, I got mine a couple of years ago when the prices went down.Trawl the internet for a good price ( £10-£20)
body armour!!!!! worn by some officers covertly- this is an expensive 'up to you move'. If you decide to get one ( it will depend on the type of cons you have/amount of assaults on staff etc) make sure it will give HG1A ballistic, KR1/SP1 ( knife/spike) protection) & be PSDB approved.If you do buy a set you could get the mick taken out of you buy staff & cons( they will find out you are wearing it!!)
mini maglite type torch- a good idea for nights/cell searching-get one

A few more tips, hair wear it short( ladies tied up) the longer the hair the easier you can be grabbed by it- think personal protection
jewellery, a plain band wedding type is about all you need , why wear a neckless, bracelet, ear rings, nose rings, toungue studs etc, you will only damage them or injure yourself if you get into a ruck- again think personal protection/safety

And lastly IRON your uniform & polish your shoes a scruffy officer is a sloppy officer :slby:
Last edited by old sweat on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DUCKBILL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: to some new officers

Post by DUCKBILL » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Excellent read old sweat, I've been live 9 weeks now and all I have bought is my pair of 6" Magnums. There is certainly no need for any extras.
I must confess, I was born at a very early age - Groucho Marx
Anyone can get old, all you have to do is live long enough - Groucho Marx

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Miquay » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:22 pm

6" Magnums wow Duckbill, I find it difficult on a weekend to walk in 3" heels.

Do you wear a watch? If so are there restrictions on the type you can wear, and what in your opinion are the best type to wear?

M
:slnuts:
same time, same place, can't wait

DUCKBILL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DUCKBILL » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:28 pm

My wife went down the local jewellers and brought me a £20 Lorus, at least then if it gets broken it don't matter.

Post by 1993 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Wise words by the man.

Ripped out earrings cause lovely big holes which dont heal. Prisons arent fashion catwalks and it amazes me how many people walk around with multiple earrings. It wouldnt have happened in me and sweats day!!! (Dinosaur speak!!)

DUCKBILL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DUCKBILL » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Miquay wrote:6" Magnums wow Duckbill, I find it difficult on a weekend to walk in 3" heels.

Do you wear a watch? If so are there restrictions on the type you can wear, and what in your opinion are the best type to wear?

M
It did take a bit of getting used to, but combined with my suspender belt straps itching it was a nightmare!

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Miquay » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:44 pm

I use Sudocrem to avoid the chaffing.
I was just checking you can wear one. Gonna dig out one of my old watches. Got a compass one that might come in handy during the first few weeks.
M

Skippy
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Skippy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:52 pm

Good post OS, interesting to read and lots of useful info in there. Just wondering about body armour... 1993 said that HMPS didn't cover you if you were injured on duty whilst wearing one

With regards to earrings, it doesn't look too professional if you wear more than one stud in each ear. When I started a job in 2000 I had to take out 7 earrings and just stick to two at work. You should certainly avoid hoops as one decent tug will rip your ear lobe ... lots of blood and it can't be fixed easily.

Make up should be worn conservatively. This is not really a C & R thing but more one of professionalism. A prison, hospital, school is a place of work and not a night club.

I started at a new place today along with 20 others (male and female) and we were all reminded of dress codes. The boss (female) went one step further and spoke of the importance of wearing a decent bra whilst dealing with a male population of 500 or so ... not sure if my male colleagues will be off to M & S to buy one but hey ho !?!?
simples

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Miquay » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:59 pm

Can't wear M&S bras as I find them very restrictive
S&M bras however they are a different matter all together.......
M

Very good posts. Very informitive. Do coolmax Ts work? I don't wear underwear as I am naturally a very warm person and need minimum amount of clothes on. Never worn vests or tshirts under clothes/work wear/uniform before but feel I probably will need to if its a warm environment to work in.

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Skippy, re body armour, the latest generation of PSDB approved HG1A/kr1/sp1 armour is lightweight & is about 7-10m thick & soft. I am not aware of what 1993 said re not being covered if injuried wearing one.if the vest saves your life then the prison service would be mad to say you are not covered!ANY ppe is better than none!!!

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:10 pm

Miquay wrote:Can't wear M&S bras as I find them very restrictive
S&M bras however they are a different matter all together.......
M

Very good posts. Very informitive. Do coolmax Ts work? I don't wear underwear as I am naturally a very warm person and need minimum amount of clothes on. Never worn vests or tshirts under clothes/work wear/uniform before but feel I probably will need to if its a warm environment to work in.
You don't wear ANY underwear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skippy
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Skippy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Well whatever bra you choose make sure it provides level 4 support because you don't want to be getting long term tissue damage through too much jiggling!

OS, the not being covered by the body armour came up when we were all discussing assaults (I think you started the thread). 1993 did say that he wore something when on cell removals but I understood that it was personal choice and HMPS didn't cover you if you wore one. I might be wrong ... hope I am !
simples

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Miquay » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:15 pm

I don't, but there was seriousness behind the query on do coolmax vests keep you cooler and drier than if you don't wear one?
M

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:22 pm

Skippy wrote:Well whatever bra you choose make sure it provides level 4 support because you don't want to be getting long term tissue damage through too much jiggling!

OS, the not being covered by the body armour came up when we were all discussing assaults (I think you started the thread). 1993 did say that he wore something when on cell removals but I understood that it was personal choice and HMPS didn't cover you if you wore one. I might be wrong ... hope I am !
At my prison staff are encouraged to wear body armour for all planned C&R, it is also standard wear for the tornado teams. The armour is HG1/KR2 standard &also gives good blunt trauma protection & is PSDB approved. To start with many staff were too matcho to wear it but now staff wear it as standard, if they donot then C&R instructors/supervisors encourage them to wear them ( wear it or your off the team) it always works.

Skippy
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Skippy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:24 pm

:slbg: That's quite a reassuring post to read :slbg:
simples

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic