Becoming a prison officer..

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

princess00
Rookie Member

Becoming a prison officer..

Post by princess00 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:42 am

Hi there, im about to apply to be a prison officer..I have got the CD but I would love to hear from any of you who are actually fully fledged Prison Officer's thanks!! :lol:

Carbon
Elite Member
Elite Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Carbon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:01 am

What do you want to know Princess?

princess00
Rookie Member

Post by princess00 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi there, I'd just like to know a few things about the process leading up to being successful or not at becoming a prison officer..im desperate to get in!

Carbon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Carbon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:58 pm

Well I believe the cd explains the process but essentially you'll be invited to take the entrance tests which aren't too difficult.

Once you've passed those then you'll do JSAC's which is four role playing scenario's (not prison based).

Again if sucessful it's medical and fitness test which is a 'doddle'.

Finally the background checks.

The process can take up to twelve months though!

princess00
Rookie Member

Post by princess00 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks for all of the info :lol: Have a great day.

Carbon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Carbon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:24 pm

If you have any more questions feel free to drop me a pm.

Crumbling Victorian Cat B
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Crumbling Victorian Cat B » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:00 am

I have got the CD but I would love to hear from any of you who are actually fully fledged Prison Officer's thanks!!
This has cropped up several times in threads, just to let future Officers know ,there is only one shortened version of Prison Officer and that is Officer.
A Prison Officer (Principal Officer) is two grades above an Officer.

ScrewFixDirect
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by ScrewFixDirect » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:57 pm

Hello,

The application form is relatively straight forward but when you are answering the scenarios try to break it down into 3 sections

WHAT: was the situation? (eg a conflict between 2 adults) DESCRIBE IT!

WHAT : Did you do to resolve it? (Note that this should be something that YOU are responsible for, not attendance on a training programme or something that your current employer insists on)

HOW : did what you said or did affect the outcome (eg the conflict was resolved because of .....)

The questions are very similar to Police recruitment ones and there are many useful books you can get to help that will be relevant.

Also, look out for spelling and punctuation. Don't let that fail you before you have begun.

If you get through to JSAC (Job Simulation Assesment Centre) you will be required to act in a series of scenario's:

They are NOT prison based, you are not expected to act the part of a Prison Officer. You will be asked to be such things as a store manager dealing with an angry customer etc.

Essentially, the assessors are looking for certain key interpersonal skills

DEAL WITH AGGRESSION CALMLY (self explanatory)

RESPECT FOR RACE AND DIVERSITY : A key one, fail this element and you will not get in. You must challenge racist behaviour / language coming from the actor you are roleplaying with. DONT JUST IGNORE IT (they WILL make racist comments etc) . The Prison Service, in line withall public bodies has a responsibility to promote diversity and so its recruitment is heavily weighted to making sure that closet racists etc are weeded out.

GIVE SOLUTIONS : If there is a conflict / difference of opinion or somebody wants something from you give them reasonable solutions (eg, if their house has burnt down in the scenario DONT offer to help them build a new one, that is not a realistic solution, discuss alternatives such as hotels / hostels etc/. This is important as you need to close each scenario satisfactorily or else you will meander round in circles and the roleplay will lose focus and go nowhere which will cost you marks.

Ask yourself : WHAT DOES THIS PERSON WANT AND WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?

If you get through all that then its just fitness and medical. Not too hard but people carrying excess weight tend to fail the bleep test so if that it you, then start a gentle exercise regime sooner rather than later. Dont get to freaked by that side of it, its not the SAS!

Good Luck

UKmember
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by UKmember » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:34 am

How are you getting on Princess?

Steve
Welcome to PrisonOfficer.org.uk
>>> 2008 FAQ PAGE on main site RIGHT HERE - CHECK IT OUT!<<<

princess00
Rookie Member

Post by princess00 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi Steve, I have finished the application form etc but am holding on to it until I prepare myself a little more on the other parts of the process just in case i get called in soon after they receive the form...don't know if this is wise to do but the closing date isn't until Feb for the prisons I am applying for. Thanks for asking :lol:

jgoodwin
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by jgoodwin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:07 am

I wouldn't worry a great deal about the tests. The JSAC is basically common sense and just being yourself is the key to that. The english and maths are ok but i would scrub up on percentages and speed/distance.

Good luck tho

UKmember
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by UKmember » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:44 pm

jgoodwin wrote:I wouldn't worry a great deal about the tests. The JSAC is basically common sense and just being yourself is the key to that. The english and maths are ok but i would scrub up on percentages and speed/distance.

Good luck tho
Your very welcome princess, Keep me up to date with your process :P
I'm sure it will all go fine
Welcome to PrisonOfficer.org.uk
>>> 2008 FAQ PAGE on main site RIGHT HERE - CHECK IT OUT!<<<

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic