Questions from a newbie, again.

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

NInja55
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Questions from a newbie, again.

Post by NInja55 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:08 pm

Hello everyone,

It seems Im one of many people on this forum who are in the limbo period of "vetting". Sucks, huh?

Anyway, Iv had a good look through the forums and taken on as much information as I can. Nethertheless, I do have a few questions I hope anyone out there can answer for me.

1) Staff Quarters. I first came across this in Screwed by Ronnie Thompson. Having checked out a few of the threads relating to the book I now realise that alot of the stuff in the book was pretty exaggeratted, to say the least, so I do wonder if this is accurate or not. But, essentially, are there staff quarters available for people working long shifts and who live a long way from home.

2) A few friends of mine have relatives in the service, and these relatives apparantly work some sort of 4 days on 4 days off shift pattern. Having read the things on the forum relating to shifts I now kinda feel that such an arrangement is too good to be true. Am I right? :?

3) London wages. Iv read a lot of conflicting reports about this. Some are saying that the advertised starting salary in London (21k ish) takes into account the locality allowance. Another post somewhere else said the 21k is seperate to the potentially 4.5k locality allowance. So, for working in a 4.5k establishment, are your wages around 25k or not?

4) Without giving too much away about myself, or wanting anyone to give anything away about themselves that they dont want to, can anyone give me a brief "in a nutshell" run down of what its like working at the London establishments as these are my chosen preferences.

5) Batons, or other equipment. I cant tell if these are standard issue equipment or not. Can anyone shed any light for me?

Thanks for reading and an advanced thank you for anyone kind enough to help. For anyone else stuck waiting for the vetting to be complete you have my sympathies and good luck!

Looking forward to joining the service! :D

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Questions from a newbie, again.

Post by sharpe » Sat May 03, 2008 9:16 pm

hi and welcome to the site

some answers to some of your questions there is no longer staff quaters as they have nearly all been sold off now and the rest will be sold soon, as for shift pattern you can pretty much choose what you work providing you work your hours some prisons are more flexiable then others, the localality allowance is on top of your starting wage and batons are standard except at YOI and not sure if they have them at female jails or not

bloggs01
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bloggs01 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:28 pm

1) No. Entitlement to quarters went in 1987.
2) They may be on Self Rostering where to a certain degree you can choose your own shifts which can work out that way if everyone agrees - only available in a small number of prisons. There is also such a thing as condensed hours which you can request under Work Life Balance which is covered in Chapter 7 of PSO 8010. Basically if you can show good cause to work the hours that you want and it fits in with the running of the prison, then the Governor will allow it - notoriously difficult to achieve. Don't get your hopes up.
3) The quoted figure on the HMPS website includes Locality Allowance.
4) Over 20 years since I worked in London so probably best to wait for someone else to come along for this one.
5) Standard equipment is uniform, baton, key chain and (should be) whistle. C&R equipment is issued to C&R trained staff.
WARNING - Internet forums may contain nuts

NInja55
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by NInja55 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I dont think Im reading it wrong, but it seems you have both given a different answer regarding the locality allowance. Can someone clarify exactly what the situation is?

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Mon May 05, 2008 7:04 pm

go with bloggs im probably wrong

NInja55
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by NInja55 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:08 pm

I wanna go with your way though! :D

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Mon May 05, 2008 8:37 pm

you can try but dont think it will work, I dont have location allowance so I dont really know as work in the middle of nowhere

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic