Fitness and medical

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
Francesca98
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Pixie'

Fitness and medical

Post by Francesca98 »

Hey guys.

So next Tuesday I have my fitness and medical!! I have to travel and hour and half for my 50 minute books slot.
Any ideas on what it’ll be like or has anyone done it?
I am super anxious as I hate the bleep test. I hope we don’t have to do the first half of it as a warm up for the real thing.. ive heard that does happen!
Is it just the bleep test and the grip as I’ve seen online other things and don’t know what to believe!!
Also does anyone know if I turn up in fitness stuff or get changed there?

Fleets28 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Fitness and medical

Post by Fleets28  »

Hiya

I turned up in my gym kit and then was given the opportunity to change

I had to do the grip test, followed by the shield test then the bleep and then the shuttle run. We didn’t do a part of the bleep as a warm up just some gentle stretches etc

I hope that helps

Good luck

Francesca98
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Francesca98 »

Hey what is the shuttle run?

Moose77 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Moose77  »

Hi there its a run between cones. I'll post a link to it so you can have a look in the video that falkor posted. The lad in the video looks to be jogging but t's definitely a sprint you need to be doing! Think you have 32 seconds to complete. I did the grip test. Then holding the riot shield. The bleep test and finally the shuttle run.
Have you completed the bleep test at home practising? I found it much easier on the day. You'll be fine. You'll smash it 💪

Moose77 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Moose77  »

Francesca98
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Francesca98 »

Hey thank you so much! I will have a look is this the 2021 fitness test?

I have done the bleep test before as I have volunteered for the police as a special and have to do it once a year but this was w l
Pre covid body! Aha

I had to book a 50 minute slot and I am anxious I’ll be too exhausted to do it all, and never done a grip test before

Many thanks for replying!!

C4l27
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by C4l27 »

I think the anxiety is our biggest enemy before the fitness test. I was exactly the same before mine. Despite being a fairly active individual because I hadn’t done the bleep test since high school when I was far from in shape. I had a negative association with the test.

In reality, I think your moving for about 3.5 minutes in total. Best tip I can give you is don’t turn your whole body (both feet don’t need to cross the line). As long as 1 foot is on the line before or on the beep, just push off and go.

I arrived in gym wear. Had my medical; blood pressure, height, weight, eyesight and hearing tests. Then, I did my bleep test, then the grip test, shield hold then shuttle run. All with one other individual. I was told on the day that I’d passed and later that day received an email confirming :slbg:

Try not to overthink it and back yourself. You got this!

Moose77 
Executive Member
Executive Member
Top poster of the Month

Post by Moose77  »

Unsure what year the video is but it's pretty accurate. Apart from the dyno test. We didn't do that. I did the bleep test then a few mins rest into the shuttle run. I'm also wearing my covid coat 😂. You got this in the bag. Just don't overthink it. The instructors in the day are lovely and really help you. No stress go enjoy it

bradders84
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bradders84 »

Can anybody confirm if they had the occupational health appoinment booked in before their medical/fitness? ive had a call today booking me in for next week but my medical isnt until the week after...seems strange..
sorry seem unable to create a new post

Francesca98
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Francesca98 »

Hey.
I had a medical before my fitness test, on the day.
But I followed out this questionnaire and that online through a health company beginning with o.. something.

Is it a medical to see them or on the day of your fitness test? As I haven’t been contacted for a medical, and my status is fitness and medical passed?

bradders84
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bradders84 »

optima health... i beleive its because i have said "yes" due to having asthma

Francesca98
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Francesca98 »

Ohh it could be that, I have said yea to a one thing involving bladder issues treated by antibiotics and manageable symptoms so I wonder if they’ll get checked to.

Also on the day they do a quick question and ask whether you have asthma

Mitch bird 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mitch bird  »

Hi I had my fitness last Tuesday and the optima health made an appointment for the same day, it’s just chat about what you put on the for.

Francesca98
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Francesca98 »

Hello! That’s good to know as I passed medical and fitness on Tuesday, did they phone or email you to make this appointment?

Mitch bird 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mitch bird  »

They phoned me on an un none number .

Previous topicNext topic