Apprenticeship English and Math Functional Skills

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
Kinratty
Registered Member
Registered Member

Apprenticeship English and Math Functional Skills

Post by Kinratty »

Hellooo

I’ve finally received my official offer and start dates etc etc. Because I completed my schooling overseas my grades don’t transfer over and I need to complete my functional skills maths and English before starting my apprenticeship. I have been booked from 14th for a week to complete this, then 2 weeks at establishment before starting foundation training.

It hasn’t been confirmed where my functional skills courses are to take place, on the phone call initially they said it would be at home but my email states to report to my establishment on my first day - 14/06.

Is anyone else having a similar problem? If so, what do I do!

Thanks all :-)

PrimalPrincess 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Apprenticeship English and Math Functional Skills

Post by PrimalPrincess  »

Same, my schooling was abroad & doesn't transfer ... I asked more recently for clarification & lady said we'd sort that out on my first day 🙄

MissNoName 
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by MissNoName  »

I have to re do my maths and English because I don't have all my official certificates, only certified statement of results.
Before I email them asking, do you know if we will be paid as normal for that first week of functional skills?
I'm just wanting to double check this because obviously it is prior to my official start date.
Applied - 06/12/20
Passed online tests - 23/12/20
VARC - 19/02/21
Passed VARC - 22/02/21
Conditional offer - 21/03/21
Vetting started - 01/04/21
Fitness and Medical Passed - 07/04/21

Kinratty
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Kinratty »

As far as I’m aware we get paid for it! .. just not sure where it will take place :/

MissNoName 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by MissNoName  »

When I spoke to them on the phone they said I will do my functional skills at my home establishment
Applied - 06/12/20
VARC - 19/02/21
Passed VARC - 22/02/21

Kinratty
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Kinratty »

Thanks Missnoname! Worst comes to worst, they’ll just send me to work from home anyway! Although I’ve not been given a start time yet.. hoping I get A bit more info in the coming weeks before 14/06.. it’s all a bit nerve wracking! :slwoot:

Labgurl1993 
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Labgurl1993  »

I start mine on Monday I have to go to my home establishment for Monday then work from home Tuesday to Thursday then go to Hewell for my English test Friday then I have 2 weeks induction then 8 week training then a week of working from home again for maths. X

MissNoName 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by MissNoName  »

That sounds good, I was worried I'd have to spend all week in a classroom for maths and English
Applied - 06/12/20
VARC - 19/02/21
Passed VARC - 22/02/21

Labgurl1993 
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Labgurl1993  »

No haha I was told they doing it all virtually at the moment you should get a email from your apprenticeship coach and then another from the place for your English and maths 😊 x

Hello123

Post by Hello123 »

Hi all,

I also start on the 14th of June, at my establishment prison. I haven't received any information regarding the functional skills? I have my English grade C but I do not have maths. When do you sit these tests? I have received my contract, paper work and start date but haven't heard anything else.

I love also enrolled onto the custodial care national vocational diploma course (which is the apprenticeship)?

bilko13
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by bilko13 »

sounds like you are on the POELT and not doing the apprenticeship so you wont do the maths English. I think down south aren't doing apprenticeship just yet.

Lloydy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Lloydy »

I need help guys please.

Just had the call, start date sorted. The lady on the phone didn't seem bothered that I had only statement of results for Maths and English and said to turn up and show them.on day 1. Problem is, she couldn't be clear about what happens if I do that and they aren't accepted. I explained all this during the interview stages and they said its fine, they can get the certs needed. Anyone know what could happen if I turn up on day 1 and they aren't accepted?

Previous topicNext topic