Training

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Barkingmad 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Training

Post by Barkingmad  »

So I’ve just finished my 2 weeks induction and my training times were 8-5 Monday-Thursday and 8-1 on the Friday

The actual shifts when you go live range from the bellow which is me slightly remembering off the top of my head on timings.

Early’s - 7:15-12:30
All days: 7:45-5
All days + - 7:45-9:30
Lates 12:30-9:30
Nights - 8:30-7:30

One thing I have learnt is you will start and finish earlier than your shift.
So on my wing the consensus is if you are on a Late Shift, your night shift person will turn up earlier so you’ll probs go home at 7:30.
If you’re on roll check then you’ll turn up at 6 to relieve your night shifter
Applied: 21/10/2020
ARC: 27/11
Offer: 30/12
Vetting Started: 3/1/2021
Vetting Passed: 10/2/2021
Start Date: 4/05/2021
POELT Start: 17/05/2021

bilko13
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by bilko13 »

how was the 2 week induction ? did you just shadow for 2 weeks and get a feel for it ?

Moonagedaydream
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Moonagedaydream »

What did you wear to your two week induction and did they provide any uniform after your first day?

Barkingmad 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Barkingmad  »

So I picked my uniform up before my start date so I was able to turn up in that. However if you aren’t able to collect before hand, you will receive it on your first day. Turn up in a white shirt snd black trousers and sensible black shoes.

I spent about 3 days in the classroom learning about health and safety, security, searches, tours, ACTT forms etc.

Then for the other 7 days I spent on my wing shadowing other officers. I my personal aim was to throw myself in everything so I could witness and participate in everything possible like bars, cell searches, adjudications, canteen, lunch time etc. All this whilst communicating and dealing with prisoners. Obviously not C&R trained so there were protocols in place for a escape plan for myself if something did happen.

Honestly had an amazing 2 weeks snd can’t wait to be back after college

bilko13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bilko13 »

nice barkingmad, please keep us updated on everything until the end of training please.. i start the apprenticeship at the end of month and keep looking for more and new information on peoples views and what's happening. :slbg:

Barkingmad 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Barkingmad  »

I will try!

I’m not on the apprenticeship, I’m on the POELT but apparently they are super similar

Honestly you’ll have such a good time, also friends for life

bilko13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bilko13 »

Yeah i hope so , am really looking forward to getting started. I love all the posts people are putting good and bad views on things. I will post my views once i start and keep the thread going. I hope i enjoy it like you and a lot of others but nobody knows until they start. I am expecting to work hard and put a shift in but if everyone around is in the same boat and team up when needed you cant ask any more than that.

Barkingmad 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Barkingmad  »

I think it’s important to realise that everyone’s experience is different because you don’t know how you will react once you get in there.

For example, I am a young female, and I had a completely different welcome from the prisoners than the older gentleman I was with.

One bit of advice I have been given a lot is - don’t change who you are. Every officer does things differently, and they all have different personalities and it’s what works for them and that’s how they build solid foundations with prisoners.

If you start trying to be like another officer and not true to you, the prisoners will pick up on it and it just won’t work because you aren’t being genuine to yourself and it will show.

bilko13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bilko13 »

Yep cheers for that

I am a mid aged guy and can talk with anyone, so i should get on with people etc. I don't think i could pretend to be anyone else lol i am a this is me so take it or leave it sort of guy.

Yes i cant wait still to get started and training, just want an insight if i will enjoy it like a lot of people do, i will cope with everything else if i enjoy it.

Keep posting as you go on please :slbg:

bilko13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by bilko13 »

Any more updates on your training Barking mad?

I start the English 4 days on Monday and then the training at my establishment the week after. Its only a level 2 which i think most people should find very easy.