Training

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Kat

Training

Post by Kat »

Hi Guys..
Recently I've passed my fitness test and nearly 12 weeks have passed since I've started pre employment checks.. I am really curious how does it look when you start, training hours etc. I've got 3 kids so need to organize childcare and am thinking will it be ordinary prison officer shift pattern or hours like 9-5 etc... Another question is, do you need to go away somewhere, like 2 days with sleepover? Thanks a lot for your help :slbg:

Chez32 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Hervoice

Re: Training

Post by Chez32  »

Hello so I can’t tell you how long after you pre employment checks have been completed will you be put on a training course as simply the answer is nobody knows...
As for do you go away potentially Yes if the training centre isn’t local then you will have to stay away and home weekends. X

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

In training you’ll work Mon- Fri. Before you start training, and after you’ll shadow at your prison. The hours you do there will be up to your prison.
As for staying away, that’s a strong possibility. It could well be that you can commute there daily, if near enough.
Otherwise, you’ll stay there.
SSCL actually changed my training centre about two weeks before I started, but I didn't mind as it was much closer to home. Instead of it being a 120 mile journey it went down to a 60 mile one. I did however still stay there.

KAT
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by KAT »

And for how long do you have to stay away? There is few confusing informations. 2 days at Newbold Rebel, 10-12 weeks etc...

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

Ive just had my training dates confirmed - You always start with 2 weeks at your home prison for induction and then you go and do 8 weeks training elsewhere, in my instance my training is in birmingham which is an hour away from me so im driving each day. On a monday on your 8 week training you start at 1pm, tuesday wednesday thursday & friday training starts at 8am and i believe finishes at 5, although ive heard sometimes an early finish on the friday - Hope this helps :)

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Kat- I think the apprenticeship scheme is starting soon , which was delayed due to covid. In that case the training schedule is different, from what I understand.
However POELT training is 8 weeks. You go to a training centre, and the course in Monday- Friday. You start every Monday at 1pm and finish at 12 pm on Fridays. So basically two short days in each week.
Depending on how far you travel depends if you get a hotel or not. Newbold Revel has its own accommodation, if you train there.
When you get the call they tell you where your training and dates. You may get the option to choose, however this isn’t always the case. In my case they even changed the training venue, but it worked to my advantage so I didn’t care.
SSCL in my opinion are very disorganised, and not always very helpful, you may already know that !!

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

Yeah thats correct Londonlad - My poelt is the apprenticeship and i start training on 21st June so what youve said sounds about right :)

PrimalPrincess 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PrimalPrincess  »

How do you know if you are on the apprenticeship course...I was under the impression & read that every new starter in 2021would automatically be on it. Is that right? My training starts in June

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

I believe it got delayed until June this year so anyone from June onwards may be on the apprenticeship :)

PrimalPrincess 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PrimalPrincess  »

Hmm ok, my training starts the beginning of June so guess I'll wait & see

KAT

Post by KAT »

Of course! Thank you :D xxx

KAT

Post by KAT »

Jason, how did it work for you? I am expecting phone call within the next 6 days, what inormation will they provide? Apart from start day are they about to give me more information like where I will be trained and wht hours will I work? Did you get your rota or you will get it closer to start date? Thx mate xx :slcu:

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

All they literally do on the call is organise a start date with you and tell you where your training is :) since then I've had a few emails from my actual prison with some information but nothing about rotas or anything yet! When you're start date is confirmed they will email you with confirmation about 3 days later telling confirming where it is and the times of it!

KAT

Post by KAT »

Jason they called me two times already and were literallt asking same questions. Am I willing to stay in the hotel, have I got any holidays booked etc. I've got holidays booked in July so they said that probably I am about to start in August but they will call me back.. God knows when..

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

Yeah i had holidays booked end of june but ive cancelled as i didnt want to delay my start date!