Wearing your officer uniform, in a pub....

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
Moonagedaydream
Registered Member
Registered Member

Wearing your officer uniform, in a pub....

Post by Moonagedaydream »

I had a nice pint this afternoon in a beer garden (not very warm) I glanced over the beer garden and saw a person in prison officer uniform with their epaulettes on drinking a pint lol. It’s the first time I’ve seen a prison officer uniform in person so I found that cool but I feel it’s very unprofessional and couldn’t help but think it must be frowned upon to wear your uniform in public.

Is their rules against it or is it common for officers to do this sort of thing? I personally find this abit disrespectful to your service and could also attract unwanted attention. Just curious :slbg: hope everyone has had a good weekend

Lay19 
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Wearing your officer uniform, in a pub....

Post by Lay19  »

So first thing they drilled into us during our induction is to never wear your epaulettes or your key chain in public and if possible wear a civi hoody

Wearing your uniform in public just makes you a target

I’ve received abuse just from walking from my car to the main gate so certainly wouldn’t wear it in a public setting

kingofthekippax 
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by kingofthekippax  »

It's against the rules, and unprofessional and a possible risk to your personal safety.
However officers have done it for years and will continue to do it in pubs local to Prisons. Officers from my establishment have tales of a large groups going at lunchtimes and playing drinking challenges before returning to the nick for the afternoon pissed up.
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

HMPPS Prison Officer since April 2020

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Sounds like sheer stupidity to me

Taff86 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Zulus

Post by Taff86  »

They used to have bars inside prisons years ago 🤣

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

It’s certainly true that some prisons had a mess with a bar in it, and that they could drink at lunchtimes..and that’s wasn’t all that long ago...times have changed!
People still do go to the pub, on a lunchtime and do have a drink, of course they’re not really supposed to consume alcohol when going back on duty, but there you are.
Most pubs local to prisons know that they are prison officers, even with no tie or epaulettes, it’s quite obvious.
But at the very least, I’d remove my tie and epaulettes.

I’ve heard of people wearing full uniforms in pubs in events such as a wake for Prison Officers who have died and they’ve came straight from the funeral in number one dress ( the tunic and caps) but that’s quite different.

Thepower 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Thepower  »

As in all disciplined roles it is expected that you hide any association to the role your doing in a social setting

I've joined the fire service since leaving HMP a few years ago and for our brigade it is a big no no even though we would face no danger compared to a police or prison officer, I've popped into a shop or got petrol in uniform yes and I've wore formal brigade dress at weddings but I would not wear it to any non fire approved events ( funerals and weddings etc) but I would not casually go for a pint after work in uniform.

As London lad said it was a custom not to long ago for officers to go to the local or have a mess with a bar to use on lunch time, the pub opposite the inner city cat B was full of officers at lunch and this was more recent than you'd expect, in fact a lot of fire stations used to have a bar and it was the job of the probies to look after those bars this changed late 90s/early 00s but it was still happening in the prison service when I started in 2008ish officers would go and have a skinful at lunch. I think all services used to have a bar I know the police did.

Previous topicNext topic