Training and residential

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
JasmineJade
Class: 'Blessed'

Training and residential

Post by JasmineJade »

hiya!
I have been given my start date and my location of my POELT, so I have a few questions based on the training and the residential that I was hoping someone could answer.

- will I be staying in a hotel?
- what should I bring?
- is it worth bring some food and drinks?
- what should I wear on the first day of induction?
-what sort of travel will be provided to my training and is it worth just getting the train independently?
- what are timetables of the day? how is the training structured?

I am from the south of England and will be training in Wandsworth which I am nervous yet excited for.
Thank you in advance for your help and assistance!
:slby:

kingofthekippax 
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Training and residential

Post by kingofthekippax  »

Speak to people Hub at your home establishment, they will advise in travel and either provide you with a hire car, train tickets or cover your fuel (need business use on your own insurance policy for this).
As for accommodation you will be advised of this closer to the time.
Same for timing you will be informed closer to time.
What to wear 1st day - smart work clothing i.e plain trousers and a blouse /top .. sensible footwear that is suitable to walk around in.
I'd take food such as a sandy and or fruit etc and drink .
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

HMPPS Prison Officer since April 2020

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Bit late on here but I’ll try and answer. If you’re training at Wandsworth, you’ll stay in a hotel. There is a train station near by, there is also a car park at Wandsworth but it does get pretty full quite quickly due to staff parking there.
By all means, take food and drink to your hotel, whatever makes your life comfortable. Take anything else you may need.
It’s been quite rubbish for POELTS since last year due to the pandemic and most things being shut. We wasn’t able to go out together in the evenings or even go for a final meal before graduating.
However, since things are meant to be ‘normal ‘ again by June 21st it’ll be much better for you new guys in training.
Ok day one turn up smart. You’ll probably get your uniform on day one anyway and from then you’ll wear that anyway.

KAT
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by KAT »

Hello hun x
How long will it take for you to stay at Wandsworth? Did you get dates? will it be full 10 weeks as I'm a bit scared as I'm waiting for my start date and am thinking how long do we need to stay away xx

C4l27
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by C4l27 »

Hey Kat.

My POELT is going to be residential. I do a 2 week induction at my establishment commuting as normal. Then, I will be put up in a hotel Monday to Friday for 8 weeks for my POELT.

My POELT runs from 21st June to 13 August. I also had an email stating that my POELT class every Monday will start at 1 then normal business hours the rest of the week.

Hope this helps a little :)

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

My training also starts on 21st June - 13th August - My training is in Birmingham :)

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

On POELT training you’ll start at 1pm every Monday and finish on Fridays by 1200.

JasmineJade
Class: 'Blessed'

Post by JasmineJade »

KAT wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:22 am Hello hun x
How long will it take for you to stay at Wandsworth? Did you get dates? will it be full 10 weeks as I'm a bit scared as I'm waiting for my start date and am thinking how long do we need to stay away xx
I have my dates which are 12th July till the 3rd September.
I live an hour and 20 minutes away from Wandsworth which isn’t too bad.
I know that it’ll be Monday to Friday that I stay and home at the weekends. I have no personal commitments so I can drop things as and when.

Previous topicNext topic