Blood pressure

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Spikey11 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Blood pressure

Post by Spikey11  »

Bearguy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:13 am Let us know how you get on, best of luck 🤞🏻
Hi Bearguy

I'm gutted my BP was raised 2 out of the 3 readings were high :( so didn't even get to do the fitness I was told I would receive an email within 1 week to rebook within the next 6 weeks. Got home took my own BP it was normal I was so nervous and stressed whilst there I'm so annoyed with myself I really want this job.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

It’s absolutely dog shite mate, at least you can rebook and go again, it’s just the pain of waiting and going over the same ground when you know you are capable and healthy.

Chez32 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Hervoice
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

Spikey you can do this I know how you feel mine was 134/89 and I haven’t never had a problem with my blood pressure but I was so nervous.

Try and keep calm and eat loads of bananas and huge bottle of water before you go in next time xxx

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

I think the threshold is 150/100.

The twice I visited my GP after the medical, mine was 140/78 and 140/76.

I’m going to be like a gorilla walking in there when I go back, wheelbarrow full of bananas 😆

Spikey11 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Spikey11  »

Bearguy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm It’s absolutely dog shite mate, at least you can rebook and go again, it’s just the pain of waiting and going over the same ground when you know you are capable and healthy.
It certainly is Bearguy unfortunately :( will get it rebooked and fingers crossed I'm ok for next time but tbh its really knocked my confidence.

Spikey11 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Spikey11  »

Chez32 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm Spikey you can do this I know how you feel mine was 134/89 and I haven’t never had a problem with my blood pressure but I was so nervous.

Try and keep calm and eat loads of bananas and huge bottle of water before you go in next time xxx
Hi Chez,

It's so stressful isn't it, I was conscious that if it was high it would delay if not end my potential new career before it even started which didn't help so I was so anxious before he even took it. Did you pass with your reading when you had yours taken? xx

Samc

Post by Samc »

I did my fitness yesterday and the first time they said it was high. I closed my eyes and thought of something I enjoy like a holiday or beach and suddenly it dropped back to normal. Think I was just so nervous about getting it right and passing it all 🤣

Chez32 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Hervoice
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

Yeah spikey I did they said it was okay! X

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

I used to be in the Armed services and passed their medical when I was younger and their tests were much more stringent!
Don’t know why but in the last ten years or so, I seem to get nervous when I have my blood pressure taken. It’s when that cuff goes on and tightens, I literally get so stressed!
I was so annoyed having to rebook my fitness test knowing I’m quite fit and not overweight!
The second time around when I did my ARC, the PTI was very encouraging, telling me to relax and chill...
Bear guy- I think the threshold hold is 170/100. As long as it’s under that it should be ok to do the fitness test.
I’ve also heard Kalm tablets can help..

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

I think you might be right londonlad 👍🏻

I’ll be getting myself some of those tablets, bananas and ten gallons of water !

Spikey11 
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Spikey11  »

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice really appreciate it. I received an email today and I’ve rebooked my medical and fitness for next month I just need to stop panicking about my BP and get on with it :) xx

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Bear guy what was your blood pressure reading?

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

I have my retest on Monday at Leeds, I cannot remember what my readings were when I did my first test, but everything was fine when I went to see my GP twice.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

That’s good Bear Guy... you already passed the fitness test before though so your blood pressure must have been fine then !

PolaR
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PolaR »

I just got a little tip from my first aider at work, apparently hold your breath for 30s and then start breathe really shallow and your blood pressure is about to be right 😂 tried tonight and yep was good, stay like that for Monday and I’ll be all good! Good luck Bearguy🍀