Negative family responses to job offer

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
Baxgirl1

Negative family responses to job offer

Post by Baxgirl1 »

Has anyone else experienced negative responses to receiving a job offer from family?!
Everyone is saying oh what do you want to do that for? You’ll get hurt or worse?!
Is this said to men or just women?!
Frustrated

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Negative family responses to job offer

Post by Jason95 »

It's been said to me also, I don't think they really understand the job role as such. Yes it can be dangerous and people automatically think that with the job, but I think it could be a great job and career to get into! I can't wait :)

Post by Guest »

I know. I get that it’s hard for some people to understand, it’s just so frustrating. Would be nice to have a few nice comments! 😂 I had the choice of category c or b... I chose b so now they all think I’m stupid. Ffs
Congrats to you!

Jason95
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jason95 »

Haha!! Yup I got that feeling! I've had a conditional offer for a Cat C :) I can't wait to start

Fareham78

Post by Fareham78 »

Hi, yes my family aren’t happy but then I think they’ve watched to much TV, I’m really looking forward to it can’t wait to start

kingofthekippax 
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by kingofthekippax  »

People don't really know what goes on behind the walls, people only see the TV shows that are after ratings and of course articles written to sell papers.
I had the choice of Cat B and C and chose the C as it was 25 miles closer too home .
Do what's right for you and your circumstances and your family support will follow when your telling positive stories.
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

HMPPS Prison Officer since April 2020

Post by Guest »

Thanks everyone.
My dad was a policeman so I appreciate he understands what dealing with hostile and violent situations is like, but he must also understand what the calmer times are like! Just worried I think.
I went for category b and I’m fully on board! We’ve all got this.
If the job isn’t for me then only time will tell but I’m really looking forward to getting in now.
Well that’s is vetting is passed! :🥳

Chez32  Online
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Hervoice
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

Yeah I’ve had some of my family members not approve, but also I have others who are really supportive. Follow your dream, good luck for your future! :D

Post by Guest »

Thanks! Same to you!
I’ve got three kids, one is 3 so naturally as their mum concerns are being raised from over protective family members. But it’s the negative I don’t need to try to put me me off.
Think I’m being underestimated!
What area of the country are you?

Lay190

Post by Lay190 »

I’m not getting negative comments as such, more family members who are worried.
Did remind them I wouldn’t have applied if this was something I didn’t think I could handle
Someone I know in the service said female officers seem to get less hassle than male but not sure if that is the case or just said for my benefit
I’d be lying to say I wasn’t nervous to start but also excited

PolaR Online
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PolaR »

I am so lucky for my family to be excited and happy for me, my mum is really proud but I think I got it easier as my sister is in army!
Most of the comments comes from lack of knowledge, I am sure they will be proud of you once you will start and show them that you can cope.
Good luck mate and the most important thing is don’t doubt in yourself, no one knows you better :)

Chez32  Online
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Hervoice
Top poster of the Month

Post by Chez32  »

I’m in the northeast area hun.
I have five children to and I’ve had the same type of thing. Luckily my husband type of job he’s very supportive as he’s in similar line of work. X

Justgoforit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Justgoforit »

Biggest thing for me like some other people is the money drop!
But I am hoping it is a step back to go forward and if you are doing something you think you would enjoy surely it is worth it!
Someone said to me Cat A’s are easier than Cat C because a lot of the inmates are settled when they are in for longer. Not sure if this is the case or not..

Thanks

Taff86 
Committee Member
Committee Member
Group Leader: Zulus

Post by Taff86  »

My Mrs was worried about me going to work in the prison, and like some of the previous posts, people only hear the bad stories on the news and social media about prison life. She was happy for me and her worries eased after she heard me talking about work and some funny stories.

girlisace 
Official Member
Official Member

Post by girlisace  »

I think people think you’re going into an environment which is constant fighting and aggression. It’s very very different to that. Some of the women I work with are some of the most polite women I have dealt with before. Some arent. It’s like anything! Pick your prison wisely. Look at reports and see what rating they have.

Previous topicNext topic