Reality of the job

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
Confused

Reality of the job

Post by Confused »

Hi,
I am set to start in a yoi soon but have recently been offered another job elsewhere in the cs
I want to make a proper informed decision and wanted to ask for some real honest reviews?
Is it a good role?
How is safety?
Is the fast track programme any good?
Do you actually get to work with probation officers/ psychologists etc or are you essentially a babysitter for them?
I just want some honest information so I can make a decision?
Thanks guys
Dartsrob2

Re: Reality of the job

Post by Dartsrob2 »

I would guess you are the same person as Swan2 if you are or even if you are not I will refer you to my response on that post
JCOX4
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCOX4 »

Dartsrob, I tried sending you a PM but it won’t let me... I recall you saying you are taking a pay cut joining the prison service, do you mind me asking how big of a pay cut? Reason I ask is that I was going to take a very large pay cut to join the service but had to pull out at the last minute due to financial reasons, however I massively regret not taking the opportunity. You only live once and all that.
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start- Delayed until further notice
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Hi jcox how are you? Yeah about 7k year 1 and 5k after. That’s gross pay though. That also includes a lot of compulsory overtime as well so when broken down it’s not as bad as it seems.

It must be rough feeling the way you do but there is always a way back when it’s a more viable option. I’m lucky in respect to that I have no partner and no dependents so I can afford the losses to follow my dream. If I had met the right woman and had kids no doubt I would have been in your same position.

To get the best, to make the job not a stop gap but a career they need to strengthen the starting wage in my opinion.

Gutted for you that you feel your missing out but your opportunity hasn’t gone it’s just been delayed.

Oh and you can’t message me because the bloody site won’t let me register haha.
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Charlotteisace »

If it’s any help I am taking an 18k pay cut to join the service having worked in quite a sought after role in a sought after industry. It just does not serve me anymore and I have no passion for it. The wage I will make as a prison officer will mean I can still have a comfortable life but things like holidays etc will need harder saving.

I feel for you as it must be incredibly hard to have to have made that decision. I don’t have children myself so I am lucky I can do this but it is a far harder decision for you to make for sure.
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Wow Charlotte huge pay cut. You like me though can make our decisions without worrying about others. Sounds like we both read off the same page.

Still say it’s better to work in a public prison though 😜. Haha look I’m not serious all the time haha.
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Charlotteisace »

Hahahahau ahh well I’m hoping I can prove you wrong there :sley:
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Well I start tomorrow so we should compare notes in a year. I’ll remember it’s my birthday haha
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Charlotteisace »

Ooooooooo happy birthday! Are you training at newbold? What prison are you going for? I start on the 8th, got my training schedule today and I am genuinely buzzing for it. I haven’t worked since last April due to furlough and I just cannot wait to use my brain!!!!
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Thanks very much and no like many others training is at my establishment. It would have been nice to experience newbold but hey we are in strange times and that’s unique in itself. The 8th will be here in no time. Good luck and enjoy it! Luckily I’ve worked all the way through but didn’t have a job where I really had to use my brain. I’m looking forward to using it again if I can wake it up haha
JCOX4
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCOX4 »

Dartsrob2 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:09 pm Hi jcox how are you? Yeah about 7k year 1 and 5k after. That’s gross pay though. That also includes a lot of compulsory overtime as well so when broken down it’s not as bad as it seems.

It must be rough feeling the way you do but there is always a way back when it’s a more viable option. I’m lucky in respect to that I have no partner and no dependents so I can afford the losses to follow my dream. If I had met the right woman and had kids no doubt I would have been in your same position.

To get the best, to make the job not a stop gap but a career they need to strengthen the starting wage in my opinion.

Gutted for you that you feel your missing out but your opportunity hasn’t gone it’s just been delayed.

Oh and you can’t message me because the bloody site won’t let me register haha.
That is a pretty hefty pay cut too isn’t it. I work in food retail so have been full throttle throughout the whole pandemic and all through Xmas, literally no slack. Contracted 38 hours a week and get paid salary so any overtime don’t get paid for it, I can easily get to 50 hours a week, don’t take a lunch break, end up skipping days off sometimes, so when you do the math I probably wouldn’t be much far off hourly what I am now, but it’s the guaranteed payment every month you know what your getting.. Good luck tomorrow, and happy birthday!!

Blimey Charlotte that is a mighty cut you are taking! What did your employer say when you told them you was leaving? Mine was gobsmacked I was going to take such a cut and couldn’t understand why.. In the end offered me even more to stay.

J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start- Delayed until further notice
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

At least you know your employer values you.

I was also in a. Dead end job pal. If I have to take two steps back for a career I really want the pay cut now could be a pay rise in a decade. My previous employer didn’t believe in pay rises more a high turnover of staff. Guess that’s the same for a lot these days.

Must be hard in retail at the moment where as this is normally your quiet month and recovery time after Christmas you are still being hit because it’s now the family day out with everything else being shut.

Hope you stay an active part on here though jcox, it’s always nice to hear your opinion. Just sorry I won’t be working alongside yourself, with the passion you seem to hold for the job.
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Charlotteisace »

I was made redundant in the end so it was sort of a blessing in disguise as it gave me the real push to pursue this career. Absolutely everyone has been hugely, hugely supportive particularly my husband. I think quite a few people were shocked but definitely understood my desire to do it.

My husband is in a similar industry to you and it’s hugely unforgiving at the moment. One thing you need to weigh up is the fact you will get paid overtime whereas at the moment you don’t. Would you even consider looking at a 41 hour week. In addition are you anywhere near London? The salaries are obviously higher to accommodate London weighting!
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

18k pay cut ! That’s nearly a years wages for me being a peasant up north 😆
Charlotteisace
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Charlotteisace »

Some may say I’m crazy hey! Weirdly though it doesn’t really bother me as I’m leaving an industry that just does not fulfill me anymore to join one that I feel super passionate about. To me that’s priceless :sllv:
Previous topicNext topic