take home pay

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: take home pay

Post by Bearguy »

Nothing is forever pal, can always come back to this when circumstances change 👍🏻, you passed all of the tests, have a start date, you know you are good enough, just not the right time for the career change.

Look at it as a positive, you are damn good at what you currently do, a 5k pay increase to stay on, you are hugely valued by your company, can’t turn your nose up at that ! In the current climate, you are doing right by your family 👍🏻
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Top poster of the Month

Post by Taff86 »

Jcox, bearguy is spot on. Hard to turn that down and you do whats best for for yourself and your family. Good luck pal 👍🏻👍🏻
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

I know where you are coming from JCOX

When I received my contract I was on the verge of declining because I interpreted that the Retention Allowance would stop Feb/March 2021. The £5000 was make or break for me. If it wasn't paid it meant I couldn't meet my financial obligations.

Good luck and do what is right for your family. Maybe in the future pay structure might change and you could reconsider.
AndyGrit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by AndyGrit »

I'm in the same situation. Having just been offered a very similar job with the police as a detention officer I have decided to turn down the prison service. I'd prefer to work for the prison service but the police are offering £5000 a year more for working fewer hours a week. I just can't turn that down.
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Jcox and Andy all the best. It’s such a shame that what bars people from taking the job on is the poor starting salary. It’s not how you recruit the best people and reduce high staff turnover.

A little update on me passed vetting got a message to say expect a call. The call still hasn’t come, and my portal is back saying well done for passing your arc your on the merit list... a call and email to sscl and they still haven’t given me an update. This recruitment gig is a laugh a second.
Whoopy

Post by Whoopy »

Very confusing times

Some of the London prisons state that they will pay £30k a year. By the time anyone gets in the job it’ll probably be after April as they have only just closed the applications.
Does this mean they will probably pay 5k less than what they advertise?

How can they advertise 30k a year and when you get your contract it says 25k? Doesn’t make sense to me, they should give the salary that is on the application.
JCOX4
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCOX4 »

Thanks for the support guys, means a lot.
The recent pay freeze announcement was another kick in the teeth really, prison officers are not appreciated for what they do and what they sacrifice to do the job. Potentially not spending Christmas with family, assaulted, potted and the unsociable hours. I know it is what we sign up for when we take on the role but the pay doesn’t reflect the job at all. I have lads that work night shifts for me filling up the shop who can take home £400 a week!
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start- Delayed until further notice
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Giz a job JCOX 😆
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

JCOX, sorry to hear that you won’t be joining us, that’s a shame, but I completely understand. The pay isn’t great, that’s for sure, and I wouldn’t blame people for leaving if they can earn better money doing a safer job.
I have to admit, the admin side of the service seems pretty shocking so far, including the recruitment team..
Only thing I would say is, is the job you have fairly secure? Also, while the pay isn’t great to begin with, promotion is there and everyone has the opportunity to progress, regardless of backgrounds or education.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

I couldn't agree more with you Londonlad - the admin side is dire.

I received an email asking me to go to my prison on Monday for the key talk, all good.

They have already changed my start date because I was starting on a bank holiday, only by one day, so no big deal.
Last night I received a phone call to ask me to start Monday (which I can't) 9 days earlier because there is nobody available to do my induction.
So, why phone me late Friday night? Why not talk to me Monday when I was there at the prison? So now they are considering starting me 4th Jan and just do one week's induction instead pre POELT. They must have known they had nobody to do my induction.
If I had notice I could have started Monday, but have commitments and cannot cancel them next week (friend starting cancer treatment etc)............... :slst: