take home pay

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Dartsrob2

Re: take home pay

Post by Dartsrob2 »

I think a £5000 reduction would be damaging to anybody! I also didn’t know that it was only a temporary measure but it does make sense. The inflation is a sweetener to reduce the high level of staff turnover and when it’s been successful in its duty there is no further need to pay it.

I do say this though I’m taking a 5k a year pay cut to join the service because to me it’s a vocation. I really want to do this, always have and now being in my 30’s feel I have the life experience to be an asset to my future teammates.

Honestly I’m dead against the uplift in pay, both regional and that of ‘red prisons’. Colleagues who are experienced in the job must be as valuable, if not more so to the criminal justice system than the detectives who investigate serious crime. For safer prisons, for lower reoffending rates surely investment shouldn’t be focussed on more walls, more facilities and telephones in cells. It should be spent on the payroll from day 1 to attract the best possible candidates with the hope of retaining them till day 10,000 and beyond!

Return to the days of housing prison officers, bring pension age down to 30 years service and start us all on £30,000 a year. Work towards putting pride into the forgotten service which keeps those identified as a risk to national security and the public off the streets and safe. Just over 50 inmates have succumbed to COVID-19. Initial estimates projected around 2,700. Does the prison estate get the praise it rightfully deserves? No it gets criticised on a radio 2 programme for locking those incarcerated in their cells 23 hours a day and reducing visits! Damage to mental health can be treated where as death is finite.

The police may catch them, the courts may send them to prison but it’s our prison officers who keep them locked up. Trying to encourage them to turn their lives around. Who has the toughest job?

I really hope the 5k is just an error on their part and all goes well. Myself I’m through vetting and just waiting for the famous call.
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

I agree completely with you. All prison officers should be paid a decent salary.
If this was the case the retention rate would be better which in turns leads to continuity of service etc.
It shouldn't be based on location, it should be standard.
I am utterly devastated this morning. I have waited so long to do this because it is what I want to do. However, the £5000 drop means I will not be able to meet financial obligations. They should not continue to advertise vacancies with the £5000 included, it is misleading for everyone. Agh.
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Firstly I would ring the prison direct, I’m sure they will have the most informed answer.

If it’s still a job you want to do have you thought of applying for other prisons and withdrawing your application from Lilleshall?

Just remember if you have to redo your fitness or even ARC you’ve done it once, you know what to expect so should be a doddle.
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

I emailed the prison they told me to contact SSCL.
I phoned SCCL they couldn't help and told me to contact HR.
I phoned HR and they don't know if the retention stops either.
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

This is why I’ve avoided ringing sscl or directly to the prison. It’s an infinite loop. I could do without the headache! I wish I had an answer that could help. I hope you find a solution that works for you. It’s a terrible read when someone who sincerely wants the career but couldn’t afford to live of the basic pay!
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

A quick update!

I sent numerous emails to different SSCL departments and they have assured me that salaries will not be reduced in February 2021.
They might, however, introduce a different terminology, but the bottom line is that salaries will be honoured :slbg:
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

This is how I understand it, I have recently joined the service. The Justice Secretary announced in 2017 that certain prisons would become red and amber sites. All of these site were in the South East and London from what I gather.
Amber sites pay £3k per year on top of the salary and red sites £5k per year. This ‘bonus’ is not pensionable.This is effectively a pay rise for prisons that have staff shortages. This was imposed for four years, initially, presumably until they could get prison officer numbers up. I believe this is up for review in March 2021, after the four years has ended.
Apparently, after this date no serving staff should have a pay cut, even if this offer was withdrawn.
So anyone offered a start date before March next year should be eligible for the amber or red site money, if that prison falls under that category.
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

Yes that seems to be the outcome.
I have received another email with this extract 'another allowance of the same value will be given or it will be merged into your monthly basic salary', if the recruitment allowance is revoked.
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Great news at least now you can afford to do the job.
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

Yes indeedy, I resigned from my other job (too soon I know) and have just waited to start. :slbg:
X3197

Post by X3197 »

Spot on londonlad, and to the fella saying that there shouldn't be regional variations; it's called economics and cost of living cupcake. You'd probably find you can afford more with whatever you are getting paid than an officer in London can, even with the extra 👍
Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 »

Would the southerner like to read the statement again rather than skimming through? No matter the region we do the same job. Just appears those north of the Watford gap can stick the job longer than others! Bribing officers with more money is not the best way to recruit the right individuals or the turnover of staff wouldn’t be so severe would it!

As for subsidies for economic reasons, it’s an excuse we have put up with since new labour and well it doesn’t ring true. If it was how do the unemployed survive down there?

The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland maybe 4 different countries but it’s certainly 5 different regions designed to suit southern England. Not dissimilar to the Hunger Games I suppose. Highlighted by HS2, is this to spread the economy north? No it’s a brain drain so the talent of the north can work in the city and the rich of the city can quicker commute to the countryside of the north.

To sum up. If you have found the attention span to read this far. I think money is better spent on success than salvaging failure.
X3197

Post by X3197 »

I would imagine the unemployed survive the same way they do everywhere: housing subsidies.
The south has a higher percentage of population, which means land and housing has always been at a higher premium. It also stands to reason there is more pressure on the jail system (more people=more crime) which may be why staff turnover is higher. That's purely speculative, though.
For arguments sake let's say you live in Yorkshire and I live in London, your rental/mortgage costs are going to be significantly lower than mine on a property of similar size etc.... But you want us both to be paid the same because it's unfair in your eyes? I don't know if you can blame new labour for the capital city's geographic location, the capital of any country tends to attract a greater concentration of population, this pushes costs higher. It's all too easy to throw your toys out the pram, but you could easily move to where a higher paying jail is if you feel so hard done by. I think you'd find it was probably better up north though, I haven't read the hunger games, perhaps they find that to be the case too 👍
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Eeeee fancy that, those southerners nicking all the best grafters from the north la 😆

I can see both sides of the coin in relation to pay based on location, but I’m siding with the simple fact that no matter where in the country you work, staff are carrying out the same day to day duties, so pay everyone the same.

So how about this one then, is there a pay initiative where staff who work in higher category prisons be paid more, owing to the danger levels of the residents they look after ?

Dartsrob......good posts mate 👍🏻
Dartsrob 2

Post by Dartsrob 2 »

Cheers Bearguy

I think the point has been missed. My original comment was that no matter where we work within the estate we will be under paid, over worked and asked to continue in the role passed our mid 60’s.

You don’t have to be unemployed to receive housing subsidies either. As we are on the subject of living costs though. Parts of Cheshire, North Leeds and York are just as expensive. In York expect to pay over £500 a month for a one bedroom house share!

As for crime, it’s a nationwide endemic. Just because the news is focused around the capital don't believe for a second it’s not nationwide. Why do you think it’s down to population? That’s just fabricated. Crime falls into social, economical and necessity.

If you wish to argue that the crime rate is higher in the south ask why your rehabilitation and education programmes aren’t working. It’s very rare to get a custodial sentence for a first offence. The majority of offenders are repeat offenders.

The argument seems to be we can’t keep the staff, we are failing at rehabilitation and education so we deserve more money for not meeting the standard. Whatever next the leader of the opposition and shadow cabinet should be on more pay than the prime minister and government because last time round they missed out and this way they may do better at the next review (election).If bonuses are to be handed out it should be for success not failings.

Personally i believe if your prison is the furthest north or south, closed or open, YOI or female, category A or D we deserve the same salary, a much fairer one and a far more favourable pensionable age. Unity is the way to achieve this not by division because one group believes they are worthy of more than the rest!