take home pay

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

AndyGrit
Registered Member
Registered Member

take home pay

Post by AndyGrit »

Hi

Been offered a place at HMP Whatton starting in a little over a month. I was wondering what the actual take home pay is per month working 39 hours once you have finished training? By my maths it should be around £1500 but a friend tells me they are only earning £1300 working at HMP Nottingham. If it is as low as that I won't be able to afford to take the job

Thanks
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: take home pay

Post by Taff86 »

I'm on 37 (waiting for confirmation about upping my hours) and take home is a lil over 1500
JCOX4
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCOX4 »

Where abouts in the country are you working Taff?
J
ARC 26/11/19
Offer/vetting started 17/12
Failed vetting 30/12
Appealed 16/01/20
Referred for decision 17/01
Decision overturned 25/02
Offer and vetting 17/03
Vetting passed 21/03
Covid-19 saga
Fitness resit 02/09
Start- Delayed until further notice
Labgurl1993
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Labgurl1993 »

I've just applied for whatton how long did it take you to get a offer? Still waiting on my arc results atm. I was told that the pay is about £1500 from a friend who used to work there.

AndyGrit wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:50 pm Hi

Been offered a place at HMP Whatton starting in a little over a month. I was wondering what the actual take home pay is per month working 39 hours once you have finished training? By my maths it should be around £1500 but a friend tells me they are only earning £1300 working at HMP Nottingham. If it is as low as that I won't be able to afford to take the job

Thanks
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Taff86 »

South Wales jcox
kingofthekippax
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by kingofthekippax »

37 hours just over £1500
£1300 sounds like OSG
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

HMPPS Prison Officer since April 2020
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

The national pay is £22300 including anti social hours. This is based on 37 hours. The alpha pension deducts about £80-£90 per month, the take home pay is about £1500.
AndyGrit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by AndyGrit »

Turns out my mate is only getting £19500 pa. They are not paying his anti social hours. I assume this is an error.

Anyone know how the pay scale works? What is the top of the scale and how.long it takes to get there? I asked SSCL and they said they didn't know.
Pete Griffin

Post by Pete Griffin »

Unfortunately information on pay scale and uplifts seems not to exist. It does not matter who you ask or where you look you will not find them in black and white nor will you get anyone to commit to an answer. As a new starter pay isn't great, especially now with no new pay rises. We've recently been told that your first uplift will come in April after 12 months, unfortunately I started in summer so it will be 20 months until I get it.
AndyGrit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by AndyGrit »

From getting my ARK results to an offer was pretty quick, maybe 2 weeks or so. Vetting was pretty quick for me too but I've not moved house or job in 8 years so that speeds things up.

I've actually just been offered working in a custody suite for the police as well. It pays 5 grand more than the prison service and they are still messing my mate around with his pay saying it's right so I think I'm going to take that job instead. Sad really because all things being equal I'd rather the prison officer job.
kingofthekippax
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by kingofthekippax »

2020s pay review, was released earlier this year and is available to read, includes pay scale and banding and the different points with and without the antisocial hours plus pp and additional entitlements.. basically everything you want to know about pay.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5srkoyAj08
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

HMPPS Prison Officer since April 2020
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Was the pay review approved? Will the public sector pay freeze effect this?
AndyGrit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by AndyGrit »

Some was approved. 2.5% increase already came in, needless to say they didn't approve the recommended £3000 increase.
AndyGrit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by AndyGrit »

Some was approved. 2.5% increase already came in, needless to say they didn't approve the recommended £3000 increase.
Football Girl
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Football Girl »

Good morning

I need some advice please. I am supposed to start at a South East prison on the 28th December and go to Lilleshall for my POELT on the 11th January.
I received a phone call to say that I can't start on the 28th because it is a bank holiday and could I start on the 29th instead. Yes, all fine, one day makes no difference. I have just received a new amended contract to accept or decline because of the date change.

Reading the contract it says the SE prisons are allocated £5000 pa because the prison I applied to is a red prison. When I applied (long journey started in January of this year), the yearly salary reflected this included. However, I have a separate letter to the contract stating that the £5000 started in February 2017 and is valid for 4 years. By the time I complete the POELT and return to my allocated prison that £5000 will no longer be paid????? Can someone please advise me if this is correct because I am on the verge of declining this position. I assumed that money was permanent when I applied. It is a long drive for me to get to work because I was not allocated my chosen prison and I am feeling very sad and deflated. I have been keeping my fitness up etc and really had my hopes pinned on this. the £5000 is a huge difference for me. Does anyone know if the £5000 stops in February of 2021?