First Week

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

J129

Re: First Week

Post by J129 »

Thanks for letting me know, I was referred for a decision last week then went back to pre employment checks so hopefully not much longer :)
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Any update Craig? How’s it going for you?
Craig79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Craig79 »

So ..... First week of Newbold done , and what can I say , if you've read about the place, it's TRUE-- Newbold as a Place is fantastic - I was given accommodation, but I live 40 mins away , so decided to travel everyday , and get fuel paid for -- Training wise , we couldn't ask for a better trainer , shes brilliant, thoroughly going through everything , but making it really interesting and enjoyable , with a few Prison stories in there , which is great . As your probably aware , ( maybe due to Covid ) it's been compressed into 8 weeks , plus you dont go back there for that few days later on in the year --
What have a learnt this week --- How to properly open and lock a cell door, Accommodation Fabric checks, Role Check, and the importance/Resoning behind them all -- ( The paperwork side ) , handover from shift to shift, types of searches , and how to do them -- ( advice , wear new socks that day hahahaha ) -
Enjoy it , there are tests every morning, but they are more to recap from the day before , it's a group thing so all good - we have a good group which helps , be professional, and take it all in , I'm looking forward to next week , and I'll do another post like this next week-- I'd do a daily post , but with travelling etc , its hard to do -- Keep Safe all - any questions I'll happily answer in regards to week 1 - -- C
ARC - 21 Mar 2020
Video Appointment - 20 MAY
Conditional Offer - 29 JUNE
Vetting Passed - 11 JULY
The Call - 22 SEPT
Start Date - 16 NOV
Newbold - 30 NOV
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Thanks Craig- I was at Newbold ten years ago and thought it was great. I’m glad your enjoying it. Sounds like you had a good week. How many POELTS are there? How many groups? I’m guessing smaller due to covid...
Also do they shut down for Xmas there?...
My establishment didn’t say what happens with regards to training and Xmas.I got told it’s down to the trainers...
Craig79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Craig79 »

So we have 9 on our course , 1 was a no show - and as for groups , I've no idea, seems like , from talking to others, it seems courses start every 2 weeks ( met someone who's in week 3 and also a few in week 5 ).....
So Chritmas , Newbold shuts for 2 weeks, however some are detailed to work at there establishment over the Christmas period .
C -

Ps - Have a Good 2nd week Londonlad , 👍👍
ARC - 21 Mar 2020
Vetting Passed - 11 JULY
The Call - 22 SEPT
Start Date - 16 NOV
Newbold - 30 NOV
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Thanks Craig, week 2 fine so far. Bit of shadowing and some e-learning today.
J129

Post by J129 »

Hey everyone, is anyone currently at Newbold revel? I'm just wondering what the facilities are like etc ? Many thanks
J129

Post by J129 »

Has anyone completed the POELT? My fitness credentials do not run out til July however I was wondering if you had to do the fitness test again as part of the POELT? I've been asked to bring training gear and trainers along with me
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

I don’t think you have to do a fitness test in training, atleast no one ever mentioned that to me. You do however have to do them every year as part of your contract.
You need trainers and PE gear for Control and restraint training, which you do during POELT training.
Craig79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Craig79 »

I'm currently at Newbold mate , facilities wise there is nothing open , single tables for meals, one way systems -- there's a coffee shop that open at break times , I cancelled my accommodation as choose the hour trip home . Rooms were nice though, tv , en suite bathroom, think the TV is 22inch maybe , some lads took playstations / xboxs -- apart from walking / running there is really nothing else to do at the minute but study
ARC - 21 Mar 2020
Vetting Passed - 11 JULY
The Call - 22 SEPT
Start Date - 16 NOV
Newbold - 30 NOV