V-ARC and fitness test

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Dartsrob2

Re: V-ARC and fitness test

Post by Dartsrob2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:17 am

Great effort mobileangler! I hope recruitment works fast for you.

Haha yeah bearguy im sure it will come when I’m not expecting it though it’s on my mind quite a bit! I just want a start date! Haha. Ah well good things come to those who wait. I should imagine your vetting second should go through at pace this time!

Yeah always train outdoors. It’s harder with hills, wind and rain makes it easier indoors. And the one foot on the line thing is true and reduces the distance you run. Try to keep pace with the bleep you get no extra points for beating it.

Oh and stay hydrated, stitches are linked to dehydration and nobody needs one of them.

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 am

Heya

Just going to jump on here and say I disagree about couch 2 5k slightly. It is great for stamina BUT it is really aimed as a slow paced jog. You should do the couch 2 5k but also look into doing fartleks. I did the exact same as you, used couch 2 5k to build my stamina but unfortunately I neglected to incorporate paced runs into my routine. I was getting to a point where I was able to comfortable run say, 1.5 miles but I couldn’t get past level 3 of the rest. Just make sure you mix up the training and do both :)

TLMiddo
Rookie Member

Post by TLMiddo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi guys thanks for all the encouragement 👍 upped my cardio the last few days since I posted, not necessarily the couch to 5k but brisk walks getting the heart rate and breathing up, also 1 to 1 virtual sessions with the personal trainer. Great news - the personal trainer is going to start seeing me in person outdoors being covid secure and we're going to practice the bleep test 3 times a week from now untill when ever the test is. Now all I have to do is pass my V-ARC on the 4th dec 😊 I'll update with my progress when I get to the next level 👍😁

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:39 pm

Someone said the ARC maths and English exams are done online? How are you supposed to do that, mine consisted of writing up an action plan for a prisoner, under a time limit.
How can role plays be done online or am I missing something?!

TLMiddo
Rookie Member

Post by TLMiddo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi Londonlad, during the online V-ARC they will be using a program called tazio which facilitates the different aspects of the assessment. You will be emailed your log in details the day of your assessment. This is what my email says anyway 👍

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:04 pm

I thought that also Londonlad, you can take a fitness test with other people in the same space but can’t sit in a room, socially distanced, to perform role-play and take the exams ?!

I find the whole online thing devalues the experience and ability to be able to get into the role plays properly, I think I might struggle somewhat doing it this way.

Charlotteisace
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Charlotteisace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am

I completely agree. I think it also actually helps you as a candidate get a bit of a taster as to what scenarios you can expect. Obviously you know that the actors can’t touch you etc but they can still shout and swear and give you an idea of if you feel you have the mechanism to deal with that.

When I had my arc I was the only candidate there!!

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:13 am

I question how easy it will be for people to get into the job..surely role plays are needed and to be done in person, albeit social distancing..?...
And please tell me fitness tests are still being done?
I’m afraid standards will slip if people do the whole process virtually..
For one thing , what if people cheat doing everything virtually? How do they know who they are talking to? What if someone gets someone else to do the tests for them?
You can’t cheat doing the ARC in normal circumstances.
This isn’t good in my opinion.

Falco9

Post by Falco9 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 am

The role play is supposed to be in person and set up to see how you respond. When you do it online it takes away a big element of it, people feel more comfortable behind a computer screen, they need to be out of there comfort zone to see how they really perform under pressure.

As for people cheating, it’s all done with with a webcam where you have to show your id’s that you used on the application so you can’t get anyone else to do it.

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 am

Ok but I still don’t agree with virtual role plays.
Atleast with an actual role play you get to see how someone would handle an irate/ vulnerable prisoner. Even with no prior training it’s a way to see how people talk and deal with a situation.
The prison service had already a high turnover of staff before, surely this isn’t going to help them recruit the right people?
The recruitment process wasn’t perfect before but I don’t agree with this new process.
How are people tested on the report writing for example? Are they watched and then email the report back? I had to write a report plan for a prisoner on my test, I don’t get how that bit can be done virtually..
How is the maths test done, online too?
Are fitness tests still done?

Falco9

Post by Falco9 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm

I was agreeing with you about the role plays, them being online is a stupid idea as it’s not the same as person

Cptkimura
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Cptkimura » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:49 pm

I've just booked my ARC. So it appears they are resuming 'in person' assessments.

Jambogmail1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jambogmail1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:30 pm

How are the Virtual ARC working, due to lockdown I couldn't go do my assessment and now when I look on my account it just says we will be in touch? Has anyone else had the same thing? I guess it's just a case of waiting for me

Labgurl1993

Post by Labgurl1993 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:40 pm

I have my virtual arc on 25th November I don't understand how we can do math and English on the link they will be sending and also does anyone know if we still have the fitness test?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic