V-ARC and fitness test

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

TLMiddo
Rookie Member

V-ARC and fitness test

Post by TLMiddo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi Guys, I'm new! I applied for a prison office role at my local prison, passed the online tests and have been invited to a virtual ARC on the 4th December consisting of two 10 min role plays, maths test, written test and 30 minute interview. Has anyone had any experience doing a virtual ARC? I'm quite confident this will go well. If you have done a V-ARC and passed how long did you wait to do your medical and fitness test? This is the one I'm panicking about 😭 I joined a private gym in July with a 1 to 1 personal trainer and have become somewhat fitter, put on a bit of muscle and lost a bit of fat 👍 not going to lie I'm still 19st 12lb. I'm 5ft 7. I've been practicing the bleep test in my back garden during this lockdown and can just about keep up with level 2 😯 I've not had to run or jog since leaving school over 10 years ago. Would appreciate some advice ☺️ please! Lol. Just to be clear my body can keep up but it's my breathing letting me down 😕 if that make sense. Thanks guys.

Dartsrob2

Re: V-ARC and fitness test

Post by Dartsrob2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:20 am

Couch to 5k my friend. Great for building stamina. It’s hard if you’re unfit but if you want it you will push yourself. If you fail to complete a run don’t worry just try beat it next time out.

It’s not the season to lose weight but protein shake diets help and also aid recovery. It’s a toughie though. Shake in morning, shake in afternoon but you can eat what you want for a meal in the evening but no bread, sweets or crisps! Also only drinking water. (Didn’t say it was easy). On a plus drink as much water as you want.

When it comes to the medical your blood pressure needs to be in a good range so I’d lay off the alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes.

This is only a suggestion I’m not a dietitian I just know it’s worked for me. Good luck and don’t worry. If you put the effort in you will get through it.

TLMiddo
Rookie Member

Post by TLMiddo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Yes the personal trainer put me on a meal plan which I've followed religiously, at least 2L of water per day, cut coffees down to 3 a day. Breakfast is porridge, lunch is soup and dinner is some sort of meaty or fish dish, low in carbs, lots of green veg. It's just my endurance and stamina, lifting weights I've go no problem but jogging/running is just a whole other world. Couch to 5k sounds do-able, just hope my fitness test is after Christmas which will give me more time. My blood pressure is always good 👍 so that's a plus 🙂

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:19 am

All sounds good. Keep the protein up for muscle recovery especially if your not used to running. Just push yourself through to couch to 5K and don’t be afraid to repeat days and weeks just don’t quit if you don’t manage a day! If you can comfortably complete week 4 on C25K then the bleep test should be fine

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Sounds good this couch to 5k 👍🏻 🏋🏻‍♂️

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Hi again bearguy. Hope your search for a prison is going better than was.

Yeah I think it’s great for building stamina. Gives you manageable targets and after week 4 of you can run 16 minutes with only 5 and half minutes of recovery within then the bleep test shouldn’t be an issue.

Thing is you have to jog at a reasonable pace and not an amble. I wouldn’t recommend it for weight loss though I’m sure it helps but I give it a big thumbs up for stamina building.

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Things could be looking up on that front mate, got the green light off the Mrs to put in for somewhere which is taking on, so I’m going to have to get my arse in gear and get the fitness up.

Might have to have a look at that couch to 5k !

How are things with yourself DartsRob ??

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Rob is just fine haha.

That’s great news! Hope it progresses at speed. Fingers crossed for you pal.

All good thanks. I’m 5 weeks into vetting, the longest 12 weeks a person can suffer but at least with Christmas and New Years coming up at least I have a slight distraction. Hoping I get a date a week or so before though so I can unwind and enjoy myself.

One hell of a ride this recruitment process we put ourselves through!

gurl1993

Post by gurl1993 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:29 pm

I have my v-arc on the 25th so worried about it as I'm not good at maths and hated my teacher in English so didn't learn much I was a rebbel at school just never wanted to learn now I wish I had 🙈. I did my bleep test today on my driveway and just managed to keep up with level 3.2 then my chest was tight I'm quiet healthy on herbalife and was 14st now after 2 months I'm 11st 8lbs :D. Any advice on what questions they may ask for anyone who already had it and what to wear on a virtual? Thank you

Dartsrob2

Post by Dartsrob2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Maths gets no harder than the questions already asked in your first online test. Just remember to read the question twice. There’s no extra marks for rushing.

As for English, just make sure a stranger would be able to read your writing is step one and again read what is being asked of you twice. Your showing an understanding. No one expects you to write an essay like you’re in your third year at university or answer like a prison officer when you haven’t had any training. Just do your best and good luck with it.

For the running. Again couch to 5 k great for building stamina and a free app also.

As for dress I was instructed smart casual so I imagine it’s the same and for those who wear make up I would suggest only light. Remember first impressions count a lot.

All the best and fingers crossed for you

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Couldn’t have put it better myself 👍🏻

The vetting will be an early Christmas present mate, just on time for you to kick back, eat, drink and be Merry !! You never know when that email will come to say you have passed vetting, could be tomorrow !!!!???

CareyKane1

Post by CareyKane1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi all.

I’ve just passed my assessments for HMP High Down (although I’m planning on switching to Belmarsh).

I was told that I should receive my ARC dates in a week or two and I’m THRILLED. :slcup:

Now, I’m confused however...

Is the ARC going to be done online? Does that include the role plays; interviews; English and maths tests etc. How will the fitness test go? :sloo:

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Thanks for your help!

Gurl1993

Post by Gurl1993 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:05 am

Hi

Congratulations!

Your arc is now online with covid 19 but I was told if we pass you will have a date for fitness once Centre is open. You will have to do your math, English,role plays and interview online

Good luck

CareyKane1 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:07 pm
Hi all.

I’ve just passed my assessments for HMP High Down (although I’m planning on switching to Belmarsh).

I was told that I should receive my ARC dates in a week or two and I’m THRILLED. :slcup:

Now, I’m confused however...

Is the ARC going to be done online? Does that include the role plays; interviews; English and maths tests etc. How will the fitness test go? :sloo:

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Thanks for your help!

gurl1993

Post by gurl1993 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:08 am

Hi

Thank you so much

I've downloaded the app thank you again.
I barely wear make up which is bonus 😂

Thanks again for you help

Dartsrob2 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:03 pm
Maths gets no harder than the questions already asked in your first online test. Just remember to read the question twice. There’s no extra marks for rushing.

As for English, just make sure a stranger would be able to read your writing is step one and again read what is being asked of you twice. Your showing an understanding. No one expects you to write an essay like you’re in your third year at university or answer like a prison officer when you haven’t had any training. Just do your best and good luck with it.

For the running. Again couch to 5 k great for building stamina and a free app also.

As for dress I was instructed smart casual so I imagine it’s the same and for those who wear make up I would suggest only light. Remember first impressions count a lot.

All the best and fingers crossed for you

Mobileangler
Rookie Member

Post by Mobileangler » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:55 am

I struggled with the bleep test to start burning out at level 3. If your practicing on grass then your doing well i did this then when I switched to a hard floor I gained a lot more time.
The biggest thing thay helped me was pacing the first 2 levels a very slow jog only just make the beep breath deep but constant. And most importantly and this was counter intuitive warm up with stretches and around 6 shuttles slowly take a drink 2 minutes and try again.
The warm up helped me jump from level 3.2 to 4.3 in days.
Oh last and the nest tip when you do a shuttle only one foot has to cross the line the other can remain well back and use the back foot to turn into the next shuttle and repeat you save a shed load of distance, time, effort males a real difference.
I did my fitness test a couple of weeks ago and was scared sh***ess that I would fail thay part but on the way when I did it I wasn't even out of breath at 5.4 couldn't believe it it all came together.

Warm up
Pace and breathing
Only 1 foot over the line hold back the other foot purposely.

Hope this helps in some way to reassure anyone awaiting fitness tests

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic