Help - Role Play Scenarios

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

P4yne

Help - Role Play Scenarios

Post by P4yne » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:08 am

Hi all.

I’ve recently applied for the prison officer role, and have my interview coming up on the 30th November.
I’m mostly worried about the role play scenarios. I’m wondering if anyone could give some advice on their experiences with this? such as what type of scenarios you had to deal with, and just generally any tips that you may be able to share.
Also, did anyone’s role play actually last for 10 minutes? I’m finding when practicing that I’m repeating myself a lot, and struggling to keep a conversation flowing without going over the same sentences. This is probably due to the fact that I have making family members act out a scenario unexpectedly lol.

Thank you :)

Craig79
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Help - Role Play Scenarios

Post by Craig79 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:37 am

I was also worried about the role play side of things , as it was something I'd never done - The two scenarios I had were total opposites of each other, they must have a numerous amount of scenarios to choose from , so impossible to say what yours will be . It's hard to give any advice, as it's a test to see what type of person you are in talking /Reacting to a situation etc . Few things are Empathy whilst being in control , dont let them take control of the situation , make sure your in control without being aggressive. But remember, your not expected to know the proper way of dealing with things that a prison officer would, and they tell you that. Honestly, only advice I can give is , be yourself, Your in control, dont lose your temper, read the description, remember the prisoners name, and why he / she wants to see you .
ARC - 21 Mar 2020
Video Appointment - 20 MAY
Conditional Offer - 29 JUNE
Vetting Passed - 11 JULY
The Call - 22 SEPT
Start Date - 16 NOV
Newbold - 30 NOV

Rosie
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Rosie » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:34 am

The role plays you’ll be given 2 briefs on 2 ‘prisoners’ including their information etc. To look over, you’ll go into the room and will have 10 minutes per ‘prisoner’ (2) to figure out and to try and help them with their issue- you aren’t told their issue before you enter and you won’t be given any advice before you go in bar the brief.
Just be calm and remember who it is your speaking to, stay calm but don’t let them take the Micky with you!
It’s just to see how you naturally would deal with that sort of situation,
Mine I had a female who had kids, she was very guarded and depressed and wanted to find out how to contact her children but couldn’t get hold of the social worker and was becoming suicidal, she just needed to know someone had heard her and that someone would help her look into it and give her a hand so to say.
My 2nd was a male, very aggressive and history of violence, was NOT allowed contact with his ‘mrs’ but was kicking off as people had been ‘threatening to hurt her’ and he couldn’t get hold of her to check she was okay, he was very loud and was not willing to talk, managed to calm him down and offered to look into doing a welfare check but that he could not have contact with her and that he knew he wasn’t allowed, also divulged that his mother was v poorly and we managed to sort out an action plan for him to keep himself calm, let me try and do my thing and that we would both look into his mother.

They don’t remove you from the room so you have to manage your time and try to make sure you don’t go over 10 minutes.
Hope this helps! Remember stay calm! You haven’t been trained so this is JUST to see how you naturally deal with different situations.
Good luck!!

dookie197
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dookie197 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi, I did my role play in September and was quite nervous for it!!

After reading the briefs I felt a lot more relaxed and just tried to remember a few key details. Once I got in I introduced myself and asked how i could help etc..
The first role play was a male prisoner who was agitated about something and was using homophobic and rude language throughout. I calmly explained to him that I couldn't carry the conversation on if he was going to continue talking like that and he got more angry, before stating he'd bought a knife off another prisoner because he was in debt for drug money and wanted to protect himself. At that point I decided that I had to terminate the conversation for the possible danger to myself. I said I could help him with this but was duty bound to report and terminated the conversation. I made sure to make the prisoner fully aware I was going to help them but to do that I had to report his knife, I just said im going to have to terminate this conversation now and basically just left the room. I was in there for literally about 2 minutes!

My second was a female prisoner who was threatening to take her life and was struggling with managing her relationships on the outside. People had been forcing her to eat and she didn't want just another prison officer to force her to eat. So i explained thats not why I had come to talk to her today, I chatted about the family she had on the outside and how she could get in contact with them. The prisoner was very introverted and anxious, so I was calm and listened to her and stated how I could then help her and asked her what she wanted from me. In the end I was in the 2nd room longer maybe 5/6mins, I ended by just saying I will look into this for you and check back on you in a few days, in the mean time try and contact your family and eat something.

To be honest, I was nervous but once I was sat down it kind of just came naturally and i didn't feel as anxious about it, kind of enjoyed it hahah !!

londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Don’t pre- empt what you think or say you’ll do. Just go with the flow and deal with the situation as it goes. Read the information sheet and stick to the rules... you may need to ask probing questions to get the answers you need.
The time goes quickly and they’ll stop you if it gets to the 10 minute mark. Don’t worry if you don’t finish it or you finish early, as long as you did what you think was right.
You may feel the need to repeat the information to clarify how you can help them, may help with scoring too.
When I first joined I had 5 role plays !

P4yne

Post by P4yne » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Thank you all so much! Very helpful and I’m not feeling as worried anymore :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic