part time working

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
Stejl1

part time working

Post by Stejl1 »

Im currently waiting to attend an ARC (cancelled due to corona) but due to child care issues im now thinking that I would be better off working part time until my youngest is in full time schooling in 2 years time. It says on the website that hmpps will do everything possible to accommodate work/life balance issues but im wondering in reality what my chances are of starting as a prison officer on a part time basis, obviously id have no problem working full time during the poelt stage if successful at the arc. Would it be my prison that would make that kind of decision ? is this something I should mention when attending the arc ? Thanks
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: part time working

Post by londonlad81 »

I would imagine that you would have to be full time until you have completed the probation period, which is a requirement to remain a prison officer.
I stand to be corrected but someone else on here might know for sure. I don’t think you can apply for any flexible working for any company unless you have done six months too.
WTF

Post by WTF »

At our jail staff have to work a year before putting in for part time. At other jails staff completed POELT and went straight to part time hours
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Does anyone know the policy on flexible working or work life balance? The civil service does state how that they offer this and so do Prison officer job adverts on the website.
The government website says an employee can apply after working for 26 continuous weeks. Although prison officers have a 12 month probation period.
Anyone know if I can apply for flexibile working after 6 months?
Labgurl1993
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Labgurl1993 »

Does anyone know if you can request night shifts or do you have to do night shift and day shifts?
MuayThaiRy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by MuayThaiRy »

I physically can’t do nights because of the medication I take, will this stop me from getting the job? I’m willing to do any hours they throw at me, I do 50 hours a week scaffolding now so 37-41 is brilliant but I’ll be flat out when I take my medication and then I’d just be a hindered if anything as I’d basically be a zombie😂😂
Applied As YCW - 15/02/21
Completed Stage 1 & 2 - 15/02/21
Successful Email - 16/02/21
ARC Booked On - 16/02/21 For 08/03/21
Passed ARC On - 30/02/21
beanstown

Post by beanstown »

don't think you'll have much choice unfortunately. got my contract through last week and it says

"you are required to work shifts, including night shifts and to attend for work at the time and place directed in a fit state for duty"
Taff86 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Group Leader: Zulus

Post by Taff86  »

There are always officers willing to pick up your nights so I wouldn't worry about it. Officers that are part time at my establishment have to have another officer who is part time to split the week up.
Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy »

Could possibly be a reasonable adjustment that HMP may be able to offer, I’m sure it mentions this in the vetting forms I just sent off last week, asked if you require any reasonable adjustments
MuayThaiRy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by MuayThaiRy »

Cheers bear! It’s really worrying me, as someone stated above”in a fit state for duty”. I take my medication, night night Ry :slhehe:
Applied As YCW - 15/02/21
Completed Stage 1 & 2 - 15/02/21
Successful Email - 16/02/21
ARC Booked On - 16/02/21 For 08/03/21
Passed ARC On - 30/02/21
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Depending on where you work depends on how many nights you do. Nights are generally quite easy to swap with if you don’t want them. However you won’t do them that often as an officer, and definitely not permanently.
There are OSGs that do permanent nights however.
Previous topicNext topic