A few questions about my training

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

barrybigtoe

A few questions about my training

Post by barrybigtoe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi all!

Finally got my start date to start my training but I have a few questions which Iv not yet found the answers for on the site.

I’m starting the new apprenticeship program and I’ve been given the locations of my training but have been told that due to the distance I will not be provided with accommodation. This is based on if you drive but unfortunately I do not drive. I would be using public transport and it will take well over 1 hour to get where I need to. This will include a train, bus and taxi and I’m worried I might not make it for the 8am start time. How would I go about finding out if I am eligible for accommodation? Do all my questions go through to my establishment now?

If I do have to use public transport is this reimbursed?

I’m sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere but any help would be great.

Thanks

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Re: A few questions about my training

Post by Bearguy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:13 pm

I have not started training yet but recall the PORC saying that travelling expenses can be claimed back, it may mention this in an email you will have received about training details and location etc....

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by northorsouth » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Hello barrybig toe,
Firstly welcome to forum, how about getting yourself fully registered to take advantage of all the forums here? There’s lots more to see (amongst my own waffle!)

Secondly, travel expenses are reimbursed at x amount per mile or full value of public travel tickets. With accommodation questions it all depends on how far away you are from the training venue and travel time etc
I’d suggest a call to sscl recruitment to discuss with them

Also on the apprenticeship you’ll do induction in the prison, perhaps you could buddy up with a new colleague and they can claim enhance mileage?

Nos :slre:
Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Officially passed arc 06/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

Bearguy
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Bearguy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm

NOS...does your knowledge know no boundaries!

barrybigtoe

Post by barrybigtoe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply’s!

I’ll give them a call and discuss but hopefully there will be others who start the same time as me like you suggested.

Also how do I go about registering my account?

Thanks

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by northorsouth » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Bearguy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm
NOS...does your knowledge know no boundaries!
Do my best bearguy! A lot of time on our breaks getting to know the tutors and other Poelt’s along with a lot of computer access time has helped a lot

Barrybigtoe another point I just thought of is getting in touch with your Poelt mentor at the prison, they’ll email you near your start time but also worth giving the prison a call and asking to speak with them

On the expenses side...I’ll do a little guide similar to my Newbold one when I get time to compose it properly

I’ll get in touch with Falkor about registering as he looks after the admin side, will pm you when I know
Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Officially passed arc 06/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

falkor
Navigator
Navigator