New training for POELT - apprenticeship

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

New training for POELT - apprenticeship

Post by northorsouth » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:59 pm

Hello everyone

I’ve just had the phone call offering me a position at HMP Lindeholme for early November 2019
Obviously I’m over the moon at being able to start so soon having been told it would most likely be next year I could start and getting would take so long etc

The advisor on the phone said to me there’s been a change in the way training is completed now since I applied for the role and the POELT is now 9.5 weeks long, an apprenticeship scheme and only needs 2 days at Newbold Revel after the initial 2 weeks. There will be coursework to complete during work time

It will consist of 2 weeks induction at HMP Lindeholme, 2 days at Newbold Revel then the last 7 and a bit weeks back at HMP Lindeholme

Just wondering if anyone has been heard much about this or been offered a place on the same dates?

Very excited to be starting and looking forward to learning from many experienced people that seem to be around here and the prisons

Thanks for your time in reading
Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Officially passed arc 06/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

UrbanOzzy123

Re: New training for POELT - apprenticeship

Post by UrbanOzzy123 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:02 pm

wow that's so fast, I thought the vetting process will take 12 weeks. I applied exactly on the same day as you though :(*

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by northorsouth » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:24 am

I think it’s a blanket 12 week approach when they explain it to you but if you have easy references to get and the vetting form is fully completed then it goes through fairly quickly

As I said before I was told I probably wouldn’t start until mid to end of January but then got through sooner

Which prison have you applied for?
Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

Talbot13

Post by Talbot13 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi
Is anyone starting at Newbold Revel from the 2nd December?
Just wondering if anymore newbies are here too!
Xx

Rose589

Post by Rose589 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:07 pm

northorsouth wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:24 am
I think it’s a blanket 12 week approach when they explain it to you but if you have easy references to get and the vetting form is fully completed then it goes through fairly quickly

As I said before I was told I probably wouldn’t start until mid to end of January but then got through sooner

Which prison have you applied for?
I have my ARC in manchester too on Wednesday. What's the interview like? I mean what do they ask you? I've read in some sites that they ask for examples of when you've handled certain situations etc, but I've read in other places that they just ask what drives you and they just want to see what kind of person you are...?

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by northorsouth » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:02 pm

They explain everything on the day to you and you have a couple of ‘warm up’ questions beforehand to give you an idea of what to expect
You’re pretty spot on with a few of the questions, some are general and some are specific, try and think of examples where you have influenced someone, resolved a conflict etc as well as what drives you and the usual standard interview questions

Remember to take your time and allow the interviewer to take notes and give yourself time to cover everything. They can’t explain or reword the questions either but they’ll give you a pointer if you need to further explain your answers

Hope that helps!
Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

Deleted User 12761

Post by Deleted User 12761 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:45 pm

northorsouth wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:59 pm
Hello everyone

I’ve just had the phone call offering me a position at HMP Lindeholme for early November 2019
Obviously I’m over the moon at being able to start so soon having been told it would most likely be next year I could start and getting would take so long etc

The advisor on the phone said to me there’s been a change in the way training is completed now since I applied for the role and the POELT is now 9.5 weeks long, an apprenticeship scheme and only needs 2 days at Newbold Revel after the initial 2 weeks. There will be coursework to complete during work time

It will consist of 2 weeks induction at HMP Lindeholme, 2 days at Newbold Revel then the last 7 and a bit weeks back at HMP Lindeholme

I’ve just been offered the same apprenticeship scheme mines on the 6th of January looking forward to starting my career,So is the pay the same with it being apprenticeship?

MunchyCarrot
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by MunchyCarrot » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 pm

My vetting took 12 days! I am also on the Apprenticeship scheme (starting mid Jan) and am a little confused as to why some on the POELTSrUS group were given the choice and when I rang SSCL to chat about it, she said she hadn’t heard of it, only POELT

jb1

Post by jb1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:37 am

I passed my vetting on Wednesday this week. I was initially told that there were no POELT courses until the new year and no dates for them were set.

The lady on the phone then mentioned the option of doing an apprenticeship and she explained that they were going to become the norm soon, but as Id not done any research on it, I told her I'd rather wait for a POELT in the new year. A few clicks later and she had me booked onto a POELT starting this monday. A week in my home establishment, before heading to Newbold on the 9th Dec :slbg:

Think I lucked out totally with recruitment. It took less than 3 months from applying, to my starting date.

MunchyCarrot
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by MunchyCarrot » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:43 pm

I wasn’t given the option, she just said to me we are setting you up on an apprenticeship scheme but it’s not the same thing as school leavers etc.

I’m confused totally as I’m not sure what exactly my training will involve fully, I’ve had dates via email but reading elsewhere it seems I’ll have some sort of assignment to be doing throughout the first year as well as the NR stint from 3/2-10/4

jb1

Post by jb1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am

I cant find many details on the apprenticeship. I found this, but it doesn't explain much. Just seems like after NR, you'll have to have more assessments and homework for the next 12 months.

"During her time on the apprenticeship, ****** will have an initial nine weeks of training and then will join the team at Forest Bank where she will continue her training on the job which will combine monthly assessments, off-the-job training, a reflective journal to track progress"

northorsouth
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by northorsouth » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:28 pm

The group I’m on are only the second to take on the apprenticeship system and you’re correct in saying over the year you have work books etc to complete however they have taken away the need to complete all your books, with many hours in the evening being done during the Poelt course. It’s now 2 weeks induction at the prison, 2 days at Newbold for a welcome event, 7.5 weeks Poelt training at whichever learning venue you’re assigned (this is now more interactive, more taking part and far less death by PowerPoint) and then 2 weeks shadowing with a prison mentor

Yes you do have workbooks to do over the year but you have an apprentice coach who will come and see you at least once a month, you’ll be given days during work time to work on books etc and it’s all managed online with support available

During your Poelt training there is only 1 workbook to complete, C&R but the rest of the bits you are issued will assist in completing the rest of the books over the year

It’s all still very new and there isn’t a huge amount of information available yet but it will come and you’ll have it all explained to you

I’ll keep my diary up to date with how it’s going and you’ll get an idea from the actual situation.
Applied 09/08/19
Online tests 11/08/19
Results 12/08/19
Arc Manchester 05/09/19
Initial offer 17/09/19
Vetting begun 18/09/19
The call 08/10/19
Start 11/11/19

MunchyCarrot
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by MunchyCarrot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks NOS, that’s really helpful. I’m excited and confused at the same time and the confusion is spoiling it. I wanted to set it all out and get on with it.

Let’s hope it all becomes clearer than mud soon :slbli:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic